View Poll Results: Is the smoking ban in England a good or a bad thing?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

35 83.33%
  • Bad

7 16.67%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: England goes smoke-free

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLea View Post
    I have mixed feelings about it lol. Yes it's good that it's not getting to the non-smokers health etc..

But talking to my mate the other day (Who is also a non smoker ), she goes to clubs quite a lot.. and as you knwo the ban has been in Wales for a while, and hse said it causes a divide between everyone, which I don't agree with, yes I kno wits the smokers choisce to smoke, but should we punish them for smokung? I dont think so. Also I think that it should be up to the landlord of pubs etc to decide whether there should be smoking. In all fairness.. if the non smoker wants to go the public place where thers smoke, then thats up to then, if theyre soooo against it they wouldnt go!!!!

But that is my opinion, and I know I will be in the minority there!
    I am a non-smoker btw!

Its not about punishing the smokers. They can still do it in private. Just don't pollute the public places I visit.

what people need to get their heads round is that they are not banned from smoking they are just prohibited from smoking in some places. its the same from when they stopped smoking on buses and in the cinema. to think of smoking in those places now is just stupid, i think its a great idea.
    Last edited by Luna; 02-07-2007 at 10:14.

i'm all for it, it'll be nice to be able to go to gigs and return not smelling of smoke, in fact i should have gone last night to see what happened, and i seriously can't imagine all the people standing outside the pub in the really heavy rain we're having!
    i used to be fine with people smoking in public, their choice and all but now it makes me feel really ill and i can't breathe so i guess i'm all for it!

It is a good thing!! I am a smoker and live in Scotland where we have had the ban for over a year and it has not affected the bars and clubs whatsoever. It's much better being able to have a dance on the dance floor with out someone burning you with their cigarette. I used to hate that having many items of clothing ruined because of it. OK it's not so great in the winter when it's bucketing of rain and we have to stand outside but on the whole it's a better thing!! But in saying that many bars have built outside smoking shelters for us smokers

I do have to agree with hte bingo thing though I go regularly to the bingo and not so many people go anymore this is mainly due to not being able to smoke inside and with so many online bingo sites people would rather stay at home where they can smoke till they're hearts content.

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    Can we abstein from voting ?? lol

I can see it from both sides tbh and whilst its good in most respects, its forcing the hand of others.

(I have to wonder, whats going to happen when/if everyone gave up smoking - where is the extra money going to come from to replace what would have gone into the kitty from the fags??)

Did you know, that tax from smoking generates £10 billion pounds a year. Smoking related dieseases cost the Nhs £2 billion a year, meaning that if everyone gave up smoking tomorrow the Government would have a £8 billion shortfall to make up with taxes from elsewhere, would you be prepared to pay more tax? And, really a working smoker pays more tax than a non smoker. Also all this 'my clothes smell' guff makes me laugh. Ooh dear smelly clothes. I don't particulary like walking down the pavement inhaling carbon monoxide from the car you drive but you're not going to stop driving are you? It always makes me laugh when I hear people talk about the link between passive smoking and cancer, yet they quite freely inhale more pollutants as they walk down the street. The same people, may I add, complain about smoking yet they eat food that has been genetically modified, which cause cancer. They eat from Mcdonalds, with burgers that have come from cows that have been pumped so full of anti biotics they are weakening the human immune system. Oh did you know that you are also eating cow sh*t when you eat your burger? Yep, it all goes in there, then the lovely people at Mcdonalds heat it so it 'kills the bacteria.' Hypocrites!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahWakefield View Post
    Did you know, that tax from smoking generates £10 billion pounds a year. Actually its more like £14 bn.

Smoking related dieseases cost the Nhs £2 billion a year, meaning that if everyone gave up smoking tomorrow the Government would have a £8 billion shortfall to make up with taxes from elsewhere, would you be prepared to pay more tax? Yes but then again there are numerous savings the Goverment coud make to recoup this shortfall.

And, really a working smoker pays more tax than a non smoker.Doesnt give them the right to poison me Also all this 'my clothes smell' guff makes me laugh. Ooh dear smelly clothes. I don't particulary like walking down the pavement inhaling carbon monoxide from the car you drive but you're not going to stop driving are you? No but each year with the new tecnology the pollutin from motor vehicles is becoming less and less It always makes me laugh when I hear people talk about the link between passive smoking and cancer, yet they quite freely inhale more pollutants as they walk down the street. Visit the Cancer ward of you local hospital to see the damage caused by smoking. I have witnessed numerous cancer related deaths due to the effects of passive smoking. I suffer from Asthma due too having to work with selfish smokersThe same people, may I add, complain about smoking yet they eat food that has been genetically modified, which cause cancer. Not all GM food causes cancer and besides the only harm would be to whoever eats it not the 20 or 30 people sitting around you who had up to now no choice as to whether they inhaled the carciogens exhaled by smokersThey eat from Mcdonalds, with burgers that have come from cows that have been pumped so full of anti biotics they are weakening the human immune system. Not all of us no smokers eat at Mac DonaldsOh did you know that you are also eating cow sh*t when you eat your burger? Yep, it all goes in there, then the lovely people at Mcdonalds heat it so it 'kills the bacteria.' Hypocrites!
    It is an undisputed fact that exhaled smoke contains numerous cancer causing chemicals. If you want to smoke thats your choice but others should not be forced to suffer from the potential fatal effects of your habit. Kill yourself if you wish but dont poison me or my family.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (02-07-2007), JustJodi (02-07-2007), Pinkbanana (02-07-2007)

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahWakefield View Post
    Did you know, that tax from smoking generates £10 billion pounds a year. Actually its more like £14 bn.

Smoking related dieseases cost the Nhs £2 billion a year, meaning that if everyone gave up smoking tomorrow the Government would have a £8 billion shortfall to make up with taxes from elsewhere, would you be prepared to pay more tax? Yes but then again there are numerous savings the Goverment coud make to recoup this shortfall.

And, really a working smoker pays more tax than a non smoker.Doesnt give them the right to poison me Also all this 'my clothes smell' guff makes me laugh. Ooh dear smelly clothes. I don't particulary like walking down the pavement inhaling carbon monoxide from the car you drive but you're not going to stop driving are you? No but each year with the new tecnology the pollutin from motor vehicles is becoming less and less It always makes me laugh when I hear people talk about the link between passive smoking and cancer, yet they quite freely inhale more pollutants as they walk down the street. Visit the Cancer ward of you local hospital to see the damage caused by smoking. I have witnessed numerous cancer related deaths due to the effects of passive smoking. I suffer from Asthma due too having to work with selfish smokersThe same people, may I add, complain about smoking yet they eat food that has been genetically modified, which cause cancer. Not all GM food causes cancer and besides the only harm would be to whoever eats it not the 20 or 30 people sitting around you who had up to now no choice as to whether they inhaled the carciogens exhaled by smokersThey eat from Mcdonalds, with burgers that have come from cows that have been pumped so full of anti biotics they are weakening the human immune system. Not all of us no smokers eat at Mac DonaldsOh did you know that you are also eating cow sh*t when you eat your burger? Yep, it all goes in there, then the lovely people at Mcdonalds heat it so it 'kills the bacteria.' Hypocrites!
    It is an undisputed fact that exhaled smoke contains numerous cancer causing chemicals. If you want to smoke thats your choice but others should not be forced to suffer from the potential fatal effects of your habit. Kill yourself if you wish but dont poison me or my family.
    Alan well put, I am a former smoker, and even when I smoked I could not stand being in a bar,, I prefered to smoke at home or in my shed ..but I have since given it up,, Both me and my partner are SMOKE FREE,, and its nice to open my suitcase and not be hit with the smell of stale smoke from the clothes that I have packed for us,,, its nice :-D

JJ

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
    Can we abstein from voting ?? lol

I can see it from both sides tbh and whilst its good in most respects, its forcing the hand of others.

(I have to wonder, whats going to happen when/if everyone gave up smoking - where is the extra money going to come from to replace what would have gone into the kitty from the fags??)

I am gonna start a thread on that one,,, IF U QUIT SMOKING WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH THE EXTRA FAG MONEY U SAVE lol

That what I posted didn't actually come from me, it was actually from a none smoker! Because he also put:

I am a non smoker who believes people can smoke where they like, and stop treating them like social lepers. Alcohol will be next, which is responsible for more illnesses than smoking btw.

Ooooh and in my opinion, ex smokers, are always the worst ones!

Thread Information