Neighbours star Kym Valentine is reportedly suing the producers of the long-running soap, alleging that they subjected her to sex and disability discrimination.

Valentine, who played Libby Kennedy on and off from 1994 until 2011 has suffered a number of health problems and has not appeared on the show since taking sick leave two years ago.

However, the actress is now seeking compensation for lost wages and "pain, hurt, suffering and humiliation", as well as an acknowledgement that she suffered unlawful discrimination and an apology, The Agereports. It is thought that she also wants to be rehired as Libby.

She argues that production company FremantleMedia Australia, legal director Steven Rosser and former Neighbours producers Susan Bower and Neal Kingston engaged in unlawful discrimination.

Valentine claims that FremantleMedia failed to provide "a working environment that was safe" and that it breached "the relationship of trust and confidence".

In 2008, she contracted pneumonia, then suffered a collapsed lung on a flight from the US to Melbourne.

Bower then forced her to take a one-month break, casting Michala Banas to temporarily play Libby.

Valentine said at the time: "I went into the bathroom and just sobbed myself stupid. Libby is like my partner. She's been with me for 14 years.

"It was like being told your boyfriend was going to be intimate with someone else and you not only had to deal with it, but be happy about it."

A spokesperson for FremantleMedia said: "We don't comment on matters before the courts."