Thread: 'Hollyoaks' celebrate Soap Awards success

'Hollyoaks' celebrate Soap Awards success

The cast of Hollyoaks were celebrating last night after picking up three prestigious soap awards – the most the Channel 4 programme has ever collected.

The Chester-based soap came second only to Coronation Street who scooped six out of the 14 gongs.

The categories in which Hollyoaks lifted awards were:

Roxanne McKee (Louise Summers) bagged 'Sexiest Female', Gemma Merna (Carmel McQueen) triumphed with 'Best Comedy Performance', while Gemma Bissix (Clare Cunningham) walked away with the title 'Villain of the Year'.

In all, 50 members of the Hollyoaks team – including cast, crew and production – attended the glamorous ceremony held at BBC's Television Centre last night.

Speaking of the show's success, Producer Bryan Kirkwood said: "I am thrilled that Hollyoaks has received the recognition that it so richly deserves.

"The entire cast and crew have worked very hard over the past year to make Hollyoaks feel like it stands head to head with the big three soaps and the proof that is working is in winning awards like these and in our viewing figures which are great.

"Roxanne McKee, Gemma Merna and Gemma Bissix have all made a massive impact
    since they joined Hollyoaks and they thoroughly deserve their awards. They
    encapsulate everything about the show: fun, sexy and gripping storylines.”

He added: "We’ve seen some powerful performances from our cast recently; the writing is fresh and lively and with some explosive storylines planned for the summer and beyond. I'm sure viewers will be hooked."

Gemma Bissix, meanwhile, was thrilled to pick up an award: "I am absolutely delighted to win but it came as a real shock.

"I love playing Clare, she is such a bitch, nothing like me at all! Seeing Hollyoaks win so many awards is a credit to how successful and popular the show has become."
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

Its really well deserved i think they have been brilliant this year. Eastenders sure werent happy.

the two Gemmas deserved their awards

Hollyoaks were robbed of some of those awards - James Sutton should have won best actor, and the John Paul/Craig storyline should have got an award. Also the dog in the pond explosion so should have won!

Roxanne Mckee Sexiest Female - dont make me laugh, she's got the face of a dog.

Hollyoaks deserved some recognition this year and they certainly got it. I am chuffed that Gemma Bissix won Villian of The Year and Gemma Merna won Best Comedy Performance, they both truly deserved them. Not too keen on them winning the Sexiest Female award as Hollyoaks is always seen as a "teen soap with good looking actors and actresses" but well done to Roxanne McKee anyway.

I felt Hollyoaks should have won more though. I completely agree with Bry that James Sutton should have won an award, he's a brilliant actor and has played John Paul to perfection this year - he should have picked up Best Dramatic Performance or Best Actor. Also the Dog fire should have won Best Spectacular Scene - a brilliant disaster that was shot and shown really well. Overall though, i'm pleased Hollyoaks got recognised.

Well done to Hollyoaks for their awards. There has been so many times that they have been over looked. I expected them to win one for the explosion at the dog and for Mandy and Tony's baby dying.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

I think well done to them, I thought they should of won more, like Kath said for the fire at the dog.

Thread Information