Page 225 of 260 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226227235 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,250 of 2591

Thread: Celebrity Gossip

You have a really good range of talent on throughout the year from what i can see.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

parkerman (10-08-2015)

Thank you, swmc. We try our best. This weekend coming we have Joe Pasquale on Friday, Marshall King (voted best Elvis tribute act in the UK) on Saturday and Lee Mead on Sunday. Not bad for one weekend!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Perdita (11-08-2015)

Actor Stephen Lewis, best known for his role as officious inspector "Blakey" in 1970s sitcom On the Buses, has died aged 88, his family has announced.
    Lewis also played "Smiler" in the BBC's Last of the Summer Wine.
    Born in east London in 1926, he got his start at the Theatre Royal Stratford East under the famous Joan Littlewood.
    According to his family, the actor died "quite peacefully" in a nursing home in Wanstead, east London, in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
    In his role as Inspector Cyril "Blakey" Blake, Lewis constantly clashed, and was usually unwitted by, Reg Varney's wily bus driver Stan Butler.
    One of his catchphrases was "I'll get you for this, Butler" - one he was happy to repeat, according to the manager of the nursing home where he lived out his final years.
    The popular sitcom ran from 1969 to 1973 and spawned three big-screen spin-offs: On the Buses, Mutiny on the Buses and Holiday on the Buses.
    Lewis's other sitcoms included Don't Drink the Water, On the Buses' short-lived, Spain-based sequel, and the BBC's railway-themed Oh, Mr Beeching!
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (13-08-2015)

Actor Stephen Lewis, best known for his role as officious inspector "Blakey" in 1970s sitcom On the Buses, has died aged 88, his family has announced.
    Lewis also played "Smiler" in the BBC's Last of the Summer Wine.
    Born in east London in 1926, he got his start at the Theatre Royal Stratford East under the famous Joan Littlewood.
    According to his family, the actor died "quite peacefully" in a nursing home in Wanstead, east London, in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
    In his role as Inspector Cyril "Blakey" Blake, Lewis constantly clashed, and was usually unwitted by, Reg Varney's wily bus driver Stan Butler.
    One of his catchphrases was "I'll get you for this, Butler" - one he was happy to repeat, according to the manager of the nursing home where he lived out his final years.
    The popular sitcom ran from 1969 to 1973 and spawned three big-screen spin-offs: On the Buses, Mutiny on the Buses and Holiday on the Buses.
    Lewis's other sitcoms included Don't Drink the Water, On the Buses' short-lived, Spain-based sequel, and the BBC's railway-themed Oh, Mr Beeching!
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Very sad news. Stephen Lewis was great as Blakey. "I 'ate you Butler."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Perdita (13-08-2015)

Unhappy Jackie Collins dies, aged 77 from breast cancer

"It is with tremendous sadness that we announce the death of our beautiful, dynamic and one of a kind mother," her family told People. More than 500 million copies of Collins' books have been sold.

RIP Jackie, I have enjoyed reading many of your books

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (20-09-2015), tammyy2j (20-09-2015)

RIP Jackie Collins - I loved the saga of Lucky

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Perdita (21-09-2015)

Unhappy Jim Diamond dies

Glasgow-born singer-songwriter Jim Diamond, who had hits including I Should Have Known Better, has died aged 64.
    He first entered the UK singles charts in 1982 with the song I Won't Let You Down - recorded with his band Ph.D.
    He went on to achieve international success with I Should Have Known Better and Hi-Ho Silver, the theme tune for ITV series Boon.
    His family said they were "deeply shocked by his sudden death".
    He passed away at his home in London.
    A family spokesman added: "He was a devoted family man who loved his wife Chrissy and his children Sara and Lawrence, and the music that he continued to make.
    "He dedicated a lot of time over recent years to the Cash for Kids charity appeal in Scotland with his friend Sir Tom Hunter and was still active and well respected on the music scene.
    "He'll be much missed by all who knew him and everyone who loved his music and his unique voice and style."
    'Scotland's Ray Charles'
    Born in Glasgow's East End, Diamond was influenced by the voices of Ray Charles and Otis Redding and joined his first band at the age of 14.
    After moving to London he formed the band Bandit and his haunting voice was brought to the attention of the father of British blues Alexis Korner, who invited him to work with him.
    He later went to Los Angeles where he worked with Eddie Kramer, the legendary producer of Jimmi Hendrix.
    On his return to London he formed the band Ph.D with Tony Hymas and Simon Phillips. Their first single I Won't Let You Down went on to sell millions.
    When Ph.D went their separate ways, Diamond signed to A&M Records.
    His single I Should Have Known Better went straight to number one and was nominated for an Ivor Novello award. His next single Hi Ho Silver was another top ten hit.
    At the Edinburgh Festival in 1993, the Scotsman newspaper described Diamond as "Scotland's answer to Ray Charles".
    In the late 90s, he teamed up with saxophonist Chris "Snake" Davis from soul outfit M People. They performed together and later worked on Diamond's album Souled and Healed which was released, in 2005.
    In 2011, he released an album of soul covers featuring Scottish musicians including Wet Wet Wet drummer Tommy Cunningham and Greg Kane of Hue & Cry.

BBC

RIP Jim, love his work

Maureen O.Hara dies

Maureen O'Hara, star of 'How Green Was My Valley,' dies at 95

Ireland's daughter is now resting in peace in the land of Emerald green. RIP

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (25-10-2015), maidmarian (25-10-2015), tammyy2j (27-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post

Maureen O'Hara, star of 'How Green Was My Valley,' dies at 95

Ireland's daughter is now resting in peace in the land of Emerald green. RIP
    Perdita - theres an article in the Irish Times about
    Maureen O' Hara's sad death which says she will
    not be buried in her native Ireland but in
    Arlington National Cemetry Washington - next to
    her husband General Charles Blair . She had dual
    Irish/ US citizenship and did a lot to publicise
    Ireland and help the area where she was born.

Very sad news!!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

lizann (25-10-2015), Perdita (25-10-2015), tammyy2j (27-10-2015)

Thread Information