My dad went to the hospital today for a body check-up and the doctors told him he has a damaged kidney. He has diabetes and cholesterol. I am very worried about him. He has another half of his life to go. This knocked 10 years of him... my mum and me are very concerned. My mum tells my dad a lot to stop drinking. He listens but still does it. My mum says he needs to realise by himself. The doctors say that he needs to look after himself if he wants to see his son growing up. I got a brother who is 3. I am in my teens. What can I say to him to make him realise? I don't talk much to him about it since it worries me a bit. I don't really take it in mind. But now it has got to this stage I don't know what to do. My grandfather died as he has high blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol. Knowing this would happen to him as it runs in family he should listen. But here I am telling you about my dad, when it could happen to me. I have got a chance of getting diabetes since I eat a lot of sweets. I can't help myself, so yummy. So there are a lot of problems going on here. I think I can tell you more. I got so much to tell. How I am worried etc. Is there anything I can do to make my dad realise, even though what my mum says is correct as you and probably most people would say - they have to realise themselves. How can I stop myself from eating too much junk food? I tried looking on sites, tried eating healthy. Just can't do it. I am going to a gym soon with my friends by the end of this month. Planning to go a few times a week. It should be good. I am a bit on the round side shall I say and would like to be in a healthier figure. I can't really wear clothes I want like my friends can. I understand everyone is an individual but you know it would be nice. Any ideas?

Hi,

Do you know the full facts behind your Dads illness as you say you are worried but you haven’t spoken to him about it, if you can talk to him and your mum and try to understand exactly what is wrong with him so you can understand.

You also say you are worried about your own health as well is there anyway you and your Dad (even the rest of your family) can go on a health kick together it will bring you closer together as well as getting healthy into the bargain.

Even if you make some very small changes to your diet it will make a difference. Try tea without sugar, low fat spread instead of butt, semi-skimmed milk instead of full fat. You will be surprised at the difference it will make.

You say you are joining a gym in the future which is a step in the right direction the professionals there will be able to advise you on diet and work out an exercise programme for you, it’s a good idea to go with friends so you can motivate each other. Is there anyway you can exercise with your Dad it will help you both

Being fat doesn't mean you are unhealthy. In your case as there is a history of diabetes in your family, I would suggest a lifestyle change. Eating healthy is not boring! You can still treat yourself to sweets as well.

To motivate yourself to east healthy and do more exercise, you need to start to keep a log of your activities. It will help you enormously. Going to the gym with your friends is a good start, and there are a whole load of other changes that you can make e.g. walk to town/school instead of going in the car, take the stairs instead of the lift etc. It’s the little changes that will make all the difference. Another thing you might want to try is joining a local activities club where you will meet people your age that can help motivate you.

if you need any more help, please get in touch

Aunt Sally