Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ITV to drop One Episode of The Bill per week

ITV to drop One Episode of The Bill per week

From Today's Sun

ITV chiefs are set to slash The Bill to just one episode a week — as ratings fall, TV Biz can reveal.

The cop drama, which has been running for nearly 23 years, is currently screened on Wednesdays and Thursdays in a primetime 8pm slot.

But ratings have dropped by a million to an average of five million. Bosses tried to revamp the cast by hiring ex-EastEnder Louisa Lytton. Hardly one of their better ideas
    But insiders fear storylines have gone off the boil. And the show has not been helped by the departure of long-running stars including Trudie Goodwin, whose final scenes were shown in March.

A TV insider said: “We have a big responsibility to make sure ITV primetime stays fresh.

“As part of this we are looking at taking The Bill down to one episode a week.

“ITV are getting a bit bored of The Bill and are keen to try out new dramas at 8pm.”

ITV have recently launched a revamped Jane Austen season and have commissioned a new drama, Rock Rivals, by the makers of Footballers Wives.

The news comes as BBC1’s EastEnders is set to go to five episodes a week to rival Corrie and Emmerdale.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Babe14 (07-05-2007)

I look forward to my Bill fix on Wednesday and Thursday nights, i hope they don't cut it down as i would hate to loose viewing time on it.

Thanks To Vicky For My Fab Banner!!!

Well I have to admit that I do think that the Bill has gone down hill a bit and I do tend to swap an episode or two for alternative viewing these days, for starters we have gone back to Sam domination.

More Corrie and Emmerdale and yes I'm all for more ITV drama but not Jane Austen pleeeeeassssse!
    As for Eastenders going five times a week to rival Corrie and Emmerdale
    Last edited by Babe14; 07-05-2007 at 10:32.

A Very Sexy and Brilliant Actor

Here's an idea: if ITV are getting bored of TB why not bring in different scriptwriters instead of cutting it down to 1 episode a week?

Can't say I'm happy about it, its one of the few things I look forward to in the evenings.
    Last edited by Abigail; 07-05-2007 at 10:52.

I lost interested in the bill a while back i don't know what happened. I last watched properly when Kerry and Smithy were in it and the story where Honey married that weird bloke. Since then i havent really bothered about it.

I reckon if they getviewing figures back up during 1 episode per week and then it may go back to do. I think it's a better idea than trying to compete all the time. Remember Quality not Quantity.

I have to say i lost interest in the Bill a while back. I used to love watching it on a Wednesday and Thursday night, but since Gabriel's exit, i have to confess that i lost interest. I think it's partly because i go out on a Wednesday night anyway, and then i can't be bothered to catch up with it on Thursday and also, i have watched alternative viewing in that Thursday 8pm slot anyway.

Cutting it back to one night a week though i don't think will make much of a difference in my opinion. They need to sort out their storylines and characters as ratings must have fell because people lost interest, and because of the show itself.
    Last edited by DaVeyWaVey; 07-05-2007 at 11:34.

I don't really watch the show but I do think this is a good idea and I think ALL the soaps should be taking a leaf out of their book and cutting down, never mind going up. I agree with Katy Quality not Quantity.
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

Personally I like the way the Bill is going at the minute. I like the way some of the stories are spread out over a series of episodes. Since the departure of Marquess a lot of the sensationalism has gone out of it along with the idiotic storylines. I think its improving although I think its time they had a Police Advisor overseeing the storylining. Its a pity when programmes get cancelled and moved about for the sake of a football match but then thats where the advertising revenue comes from. It will be a shame to see the Bill go to one epsiode a week but I suppose thats better than dropping it altogether. They have great actors on the show who they should make more use of instead of trying to attract viewers with the nonentity that is Lousia Lytton. They have enough people with talent already. As someone said earlier lets not see this develp into The Samantha Nixon sHOW.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Abigail (09-05-2007), parkerman (09-05-2007)

i personally have just got back into the bill i used to watch all the time. I feel it would be a shame to cut this down to one night per week as i think this is what it appeals to me its not like eastenders boring you 4 nights a week. Its like watching a mini movie!!

I think the bill has gone downhill anyway recently but it looks like it could get better soon but I dont mind either way whether it is put down to just once a week, but I think the also need to get better script writers as cutting it down wont makethe stories better it will jsut make them drag out more on the double amount of weeks.
    Also it would be good if they got rid of the thursday one otherwise when holby blue is on holby city is going to a thursda so I think the bill will lose viewers anyway as I no that im gonna watch holby city instead

take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints and kill nothing but time

Thread Information