Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ITV makes £20m bid for 'Neighbours'

Next week! This is crazy!

what does it matter what channel its on or if theres ads in the middle as long as we still get neighbours , at this stage we cant afford to be fussy,
    so everyone get a grip
    Last edited by *-Rooney-*; 17-05-2007 at 13:00.
    Maisie Mouse

No not everyone can watch it if 5 take it over, so there is no grip to get hold of actually

And yes Adverts do spoil things, same as when you watch a movie, there's nothing worse as when it get's to a good bit and they put adverts on! grrr

agreed, a lot of people do not have access to channel 5. and adverts drive you up the wall.

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    Quote Originally Posted by *-Rooney-* View Post
    what does it matter what channel its on or if theres ads in the middle as long as we still get neighbours , at this stage we cant afford to be fussy,
    so everyone get a grip
    Don't think there is any real need for the "get a grip" statement. There are many people who are unable to get Channel 5 (if I didn't pay stupid amounts of money per month to Sky, I would be one of these) so I do think that that was kind of unnecessary.

They've just stated on the BBC news that the BBC have lost the contract but they didnt say who to. I guess if its between ITV and Channel 5 ITV would be better as more people can watch it and they are more likly to put it at half 5 when hey always seem to have issues filling that space. Shame about the advert breaks we will have to endure.

The BBC has pulled out of a bidding war for the long-running Australian daytime soap Neighbours.
    The show has aired twice a day since 1986, but the BBC has now withdrawn from talks to renew its contract.

BBC One controller Peter Fincham said he had been asked to pay £300m over eight years - "roughly three times" what the BBC had already been paying.

"We'd love to have kept it but not at any price," he said. The show will end on BBC One next spring.

Mr Fincham said he was sure the show would remain on UK television but he did not know which channel would buy the distribution rights, which are owned by Fremantle Media.

Fremantle declined to comment.

"It's sad to lose Neighbours but these things happen," he said.

Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan have had great success

He added that it was too early to discuss what would replace the programme.

The BBC said the corporation could not justify paying the sum required to its licence fee payers and that the sum "would have compromised our ability to invest in new original programmes".

It described the £300m price tag as "an unrealistic price demand".

Both instalments of the show, which airs at 1340 and 1735 each weekday, have a combined audience of around five million.

But in 1990, the evening show alone was drawing in audiences of up to 12 million.

The soap, which launched the careers of Kylie Minogue, Guy Pearce and Jason Donovan, is watched by millions of people in dozens of countries, including Papua New Guinea, Dubai and Ghana.

Five "nabs Neighbours

Five has secured the rights to Neighbours, with the long-running soap joining Five and Five Life in 2008.

The news was announced just hours after it emerged that the BBC, which has aired the soap since 1986, had pulled out of negotiations.

"I'm delighted Five has secured such a popular and sought after series," said Five managing director of content Lisa Opie. "Neighbours is quite rightly much loved by its many fans and it will be a greatly prized part of our schedule and suitably cherished by us."

Neighbours distributor Fremantle was accused by the BBC of making an "unrealistic price demand" and is understood to have priced the soap at approximately £300m over eight years. Fremantle and Five are both owned by RTL.

"Five will be a great home for Neighbours and FremantleMedia is confident that the show will continue to go from strength to strength," said FremantleMedia Enterprises CEO David Ellender.

Five CEO Jane Lighting added: "Neighbours is a fantastic asset for us to add to Five’s family of channels, particularly as it is a household brand which delivers strong audiences daily."

Source: Digital Spy

Sorry double post...

Anyway, i'm guessing they'll probably put it on at 6:30 over on Five, right after Home And Away so they can have an "Australlian soap hour"...it is bad news to the people who can't get Five though, Neighbours are bound to lose some viewers now.
    Last edited by DaVeyWaVey; 18-05-2007 at 17:17.

This has to be the worst news ever for Neighbours fans. This will be another soap i can't watch, as i don't get chanel 5 in my area.

Thread Information