Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life on Mars sequel jumps to the 80's

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**

Life on Mars sequel jumps to the 80's

A sequel to TV drama Life on Mars is to be made with the action moving to the 1980s, it has been confirmed.

The announcement was made as the second and final series of Life on Mars - in which a modern police officer was trapped in 1973 - came to an end.

The sequel, Ashes to Ashes, will see Philip Glenister return as DCI Gene Hunt - but this time in London in 1981.

He will be joined by a female detective from the 21st Century who is stuck in the past after an accident.

She will replace Life on Mars star John Simm, who was at the centre of the original mystery after apparently being catapulted back in time following a car crash in 2006.

Viewers of Tuesday's finale finally saw the answer to his continual question: "Am I mad, in a coma or back in time?"

'Sexy sidekick'

The new character will be a modern woman who has risen through the ranks of the Metropolitan Police by using psychological profiling to capture suspects, producers said.

But when she and her daughter are kidnapped, she is injured in a rescue attempt - and finds herself in 1981.

Jane Featherstone, executive producer for TV production company Kudos, said the search was on for DCI Hunt's new "sexy sidekick".

"It's a touch of Moonlighting teamed with a measure of Miami Vice," she said.

Filming is due to begin this summer and the show will be broadcast on BBC One next year.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:

callummc (11-06-2007), JustJodi (15-04-2007), Katy (11-04-2007), tammyy2j (11-04-2007)

I love the series Life on Mars and am disappointed its over. Hunt is a great character.

I think the actress who played Tanya in FW would be a good choice as Hunt sidekick

At least its not over all together, this looks as good as the last one. It will be interesting to see a woman back in time rather than Sam.

yes this looks promising. glad there is some more life on mars to look forward to!
    POOKIE

Im still unconvinced how this will work seeing as the whole premise for Life on Mars was not knowing what had happened to Sam. But hey Philip Glenister's performance as Gene Hunt will make the show must-see tv. As for who could play the part of the female detective..... please BBC get Sarah Parish.

Thank you Jessie Wallace

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Allen For This Useful Post:

Bad Wolf (15-04-2007)

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    I am with you "johnny allen" I am not sure how the program is going to work, but I do like the GENE HUNT character !!! Any way roll on to next year and we will finally see ..

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Allen View Post
    please BBC get Sarah Parish.
    this is a brilliant idea!

sarah parish would be fantastic for the role

Thandie Newton has been tipped to star in Ashes To Ashes - the sequel series to Life on Mars.

The role of DCI Gene Hunt's new sidekick, DI Alex Drake, is said to be coveted by many actresses following the success of the original show.

According to the Daily Mail, producers have shortlisted Thandie Newton, of ER, New Street Law's Lisa Faulkner and Liz May Brice, from Bad Girls. The paper added that Newton is tipped to win the role.

"I don't think there's an agent in the country that hasn't been pushing their clients," explained a BBC source. "Life On Mars was such a success that everyone wants to be involved."

Filming on the new series, which shifts to London in the 1980s, is due to start in July.

out of all those suggestions i think Lisa faulkner would be good. I really like her. I think you ever it is will do a good job.

of course the rumour mill will be going into overdrive with actresses names, but out of them three Liz May Brice would be great, she can play a though no noscnece character well, and would create a good on screen partnership with Phil Glenister's character.

Thread Information