Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woman embryo appeal verdict due

I 100 % agree. Yes she culd adopt or foster but it really isnt the same sa having your own child and as she has the chance of that she should have been allowed to use them! He consented to them being fertilised in the first place

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    I am really pleased with the verdict. Yes its sad she cant have her own kids. Has she heard of fostering or adoption.

I cant have kids of my own but there are other avenues that can be gone down if/when the time is right for my husband and I.

He has never slagged her off during this time. He has said he wants to choose when and with whom he has children. Isn't it best for children to be brought into the world through a loving partnership than this media circus.
    I think its a bit harsh to say you are really pleased with the verdict - sorry, but no matter what your thoughts and feelings are on the subject, to be pleased is a little harsh isn't it?

I'm sure she has heard of fostering and adoption, but knowing that she has embryo's frozen awaiting implantation, must have been ripping her heart to pieces.

In an ideal world, yes children would all be born through loving partnerships, but this isn't an ideal world - women are leaving it later and later to get married and start a family, sometimes ending up looking at artificial insemination as an option as a first and apart from that, there are a lot of women that have fallen pregnant whilst on the pill etc (myself included) that had been in the relationship for only a few months when inception occured. But unfortunately we do not live in an ideal world.

Maybe this was her first option, and now, when she has gone through the grieving process that she ultimately will do, she may look at the alternatives.

There was never going to be a happy ending in this issue. I know you have to look at both sides of the equation and that her ex-partner had a right to stop her from using the embryos because they were fertilised outside her womb. If they were born inside he wouldn't have a say. I'm sure he could have shown a little compassion as well as compromising with her that he does not have to provide her with any finanical support. Look at the Diane Blood story a few years ago her husband died but she was able to use his frozen sperm to give birth to two children after her husband had died.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

It's really hard to say what is right or wrong here. But first of all, before i go into anything, can i just say to the person that said they were 'pleased with the verdict', i don't think they've replied, but it didn't sound like they mean't anything by it. Just that they thought it was right how it panned out, and that's their opinion, so I don't really think it needs to be judged.

I suppose there is a difference between a man having sex with a woman and getting her pregnant, to a man fertilising an egg via IVF, cause he probably didn't really see it as making a baby, it's not actually having a baby unless it's in the womb. After it was fertilised they would have got to decide when it was put in the womb, and then there would probably be a chance it wouldn't work or something. So it wasn't something that was going to happen immediately, and he knew that.

It's sounding like i'm being sexist here; but i think women are generally a lot more emotional when it comes to having babies, and clearly in this case, it was so much more important to her than it was to him. I feel sorry for her, but I do understand her husbands plight.

But then i would feel differently if the man got her pregnant while having sex, cause i'd feel like he was half responsible for making the baby. And i don't even know if that makes sense. Shame she couldn't have just implanted it before they split up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'Brien View Post
    There was never going to be a happy ending in this issue. I know you have to look at both sides of the equation and that her ex-partner had a right to stop her from using the embryos because they were fertilised outside her womb. If they were born inside he wouldn't have a say. I'm sure he could have shown a little compassion as well as compromising with her that he does not have to provide her with any finanical support. Look at the Diane Blood story a few years ago her husband died but she was able to use his frozen sperm to give birth to two children after her husband had died.
    I cant remember, did he freeze the sperm, with the intention that she would use it to have his kids?

I think there may be another way of looking at this ....

What if it was him who couldn't have children and the female was refusing to let him have the emryo implanted .. for example in a surrogate... would this change anyones perspective?

I personally think the court came to the right decision ... the minute this got to court, if judgment had gone in her favour, could you imagine the impact the news coverage of this trial would have had on the child?

Does anyone know why she didnt freeze her eggs and froze an embryo instead?

Assuming that she thought she was in a committed relationship. It is quite naive, but i suppose people don't think at the time, that they are destructable.

Wow came under some flak for my views! Ok maybe I should have said I thought the right decision had been made. That opinion might have been more morally acceptable by some on this forum. But I was pleased and I wont apologise for feeling the way I do.

I just do not believe if it had got the go ahead that the child would like to find out when they were old enough, that the dad was dead against the birth...Imagine how that would feel, that the dad didn't want them.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    Wow came under some flak for my views! Ok maybe I should have said I thought the right decision had been made. That opinion might have been more morally acceptable by some on this forum. But I was pleased and I wont apologise for feeling the way I do.
    Im incensed by your comment that you are ‘pleased’ that this woman cannot ever have a child.

Yep you are entitled to an opinion, but is it really necessary to be soooo downright insensitive? This is a case were there are really no winners, its just extremely sad. Nothing to be pleased about!

Think the guy concerned will feel that he is a winner.

I cant ever have a child, cancer saw to that, but there is fostering or adoption so dont give me a lecture. I am entitled to my view just like you are entitled to yours. If we all thought the same we would be like robots.

Thread Information