Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cassette Tape Phobia

That's rather ironic . And it is a rather unusal phobia, to be honest.

Hmm, well I had a quick glance on the net . And here are some things it said.

"Successful treatment usually involves a kind of cognitive-behavioral therapy called desensitization or exposure therapy, in which patients are gradually exposed to what frightens them until the fear begins to fade. Three fourths of patients benefit significantly from this type of treatment. Relaxation and breathing exercises also help reduce anxiety symptoms.

For example, someone who becomes lightheaded during a panic attack and fears he is going to die can be helped with the following approach used in cognitive-behavioral therapy. The therapist asks him to spin in a circle until he becomes dizzy. When he becomes alarmed and starts thinking, "I'm going to die," he learns to replace that thought with a more appropriate one, such as "It's just a little dizziness—I can handle it."

So, with your trying to touch the tape, gradually, you might get over it, providing you do a little bit at a time, and are comfortable etc...

And with the second paragraph, perhaps, when you see tape, or think about tape, instead of getting all irrational/scared, say to youself some things, such as... "It's just tape, it's not going to hurt me, I will be okay." Or something along them lines... improvise, and that might help with it aswell.. just some suggestions. Also, instead of the relaxation tapes, try some relaxation techinques, breathing techniques etc, when you start getting scared..

Might help? Other than go to the doctor, I can't think of anything else, personally..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyLea For This Useful Post:

Tori (01-04-2007)

thanks lea, i'm gonna have to see how it goes and everything, some days i feel more like tackling it than others :/ but i'll try the touching and things

Thread Information