Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teen Pregnancy is popular?

Teen Pregnancy is popular?

I reading the Daily Mail today and one of the articles was from a pregnant fourteen year old, who said that nowadays being pregnant as a teen is popular!

This is the first I've ever heard of such a thing, do some teen girls around the country really think this?

*Some* girls are naive enough to believe it.

When they have a baby they can get benefits, a council house etc just for getting pregnant and having a baby. Certainly the benefits are more than what an average 14 yr old girl will get from her Saturday job.

A lot of young girls seem to be getting pregnant, although I know that sometimes it's an accident, but don't think of what happens after they've had the baby. It's a lifetime commitment.

I know that the benefits idea may not apply to all teenage girls who think getting pregnant is at such a young age is good.

My sister's friend (18years old) had a baby last August. It was a complete accident. Because she lives with her parents she doesn't get any benefits except child benefit and doesn't qualify for a council house (I don't quite know why because lots of other teen mothers do.) She's struggling to look after her little girl in all respects because she just wasn't prepared for being a mother at such a young age.

There was something in The Sun newspaper one day this week about a pregnant 14 year old girl counselling other teen mums at her school, one was 13, on what to do. Two had terminations, one is keeping hers and the other one doesn't know what to do.
    Last edited by Abigail; 25-02-2007 at 20:23.

I think it takes some stupid, stupid people to end up like that. At 18/19 some might think that they'll be able to handle it as they are classed as an adult, but you have to give up your time to care for the baby, and you can't just lead a normal life with the title of 'Mum,' with a council house, which may come across as cool to some as there are very few teenagers that don't live with parents, relatives or a carer.

I wouldn't dream of it at 15, but there are some that think they know it all at my age and younger, so they don't need to wait until they are 16 to have sex, thus meaning that they are 'matured,' because the only reason the law is there is because you don't fully understand the implications until that age, but with the way this day and age is, the point of understanding is a lot higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    At 18/19 some might think that they'll be able to handle it as they are classed as an adult, but you have to give up your time to care for the baby, and you can't just lead a normal life with the title of 'Mum,' with a council house, which may come across as cool to some as there are very few teenagers that don't live with parents, relatives or a carer
    And? You're being very general in your post there. The Media has portrayed that all teenage parents are ****, but you shouldn't listen to the media. I know loads of teenagers who are great parents, and their children are adorable.

So what if you can't have a "normal" life? At the end of the day, what is a "normal life" anyway? Get a job, get married, have kids, retire, and die? Come on, does it really matter if people dont follow what you consider to be "normal"?

And if you think that all teenagers are **** parents, then you listen to the media too much, because there are a hell of a lot of great teenage parents around. But of course, the media wont focus on the positives- they'll focus on the negatives.

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    I think it takes some stupid, stupid people to end up like that. At 18/19 some might think that they'll be able to handle it as they are classed as an adult, but you have to give up your time to care for the baby, and you can't just lead a normal life with the title of 'Mum,' with a council house, which may come across as cool to some as there are very few teenagers that don't live with parents, relatives or a carer.

I wouldn't dream of it at 15, but there are some that think they know it all at my age and younger, so they don't need to wait until they are 16 to have sex, thus meaning that they are 'matured,' because the only reason the law is there is because you don't fully understand the implications until that age, but with the way this day and age is, the point of understanding is a lot higher.
    Erm, well excuse me Kim, but I was a mum at 17 - does that mean I'm a **** mum aswell then?! You cannot generalise like that!

I was a mum at 17, didn't request a council house, but worked my backside off from the time my son was 3 months old, full time, to ensure that I could give him the upbringing he deserved. Claimed NO benefits apart from the statutory child benefit (which back then was a tenner a week and that really just about manages the nappy supply for the week) and finally after slogging my guts out, missing his first words and his first steps, 3 years later at 20, bought my own house.

So I am totally offended by your remark about being totally stupid to get yourself into that position. I was on the pill when I fell pregnant - was in a stable relationship and taking precautions and I for one, am NOT stupid.

I am now Director of my own company, working alongside my husband, with an annual turnover in excess of £300,000, rising profits and the business having only been going for the past 3 years.

What would you call a normal life? One like Abi described above, one going to university or what?

I'd personally heard more so that teen girls are more into having "alternative sex" such as anal in order to prevent themselves from becoming pregnant. Teen pregnancy has always been an issue, the rates have risen, but from what I've seen, teenagers are growing up a lot faster these days than they ever did, so in some respects, because of the lack of respect, self respect and discipline in a lot of people these days (and not just teenagers), this really doesn't surprise me.

My apologies if it appears I am ranting, but I DO NOT appreciate people being tarred with the same brush about subjects like this. The parents of children that are getting pregnant at 13/14 have a lot to answer for, but by saying people of 18/19 are totally stupid if they fall pregnant....!!!
    Last edited by Jojo; 25-02-2007 at 22:47.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:

Bryan (05-03-2007), Jessie Wallace (25-02-2007)

my mother had me a week after her 19th birthday ok so it doesnt make her a young teenage mother but still a teenage mother.i spose nower days it only seems surprising that she only had me at 19. but now im 19 myself i do not know how she coped. ive got a full time job and not got alot of time to myslef let alone tiem to spend wiv a tiny baby to care for and look after. not to mention the money. ok somy dad was about as well and they stayed together for a long time but still.
    Reading about all these 'teenagers', and i say teenagers in '' because most of them are only just teenagers, it no wonder why its classed as popular. u get pregant, sell your story to some magazines different ones while your preagnant and some papers will do to,then once the babies born you sell the story still plus you get child benifits and any other money support you may be intitled too oh and maybe get to apear in a documentry. im not saying its there faults they got preagant because i dont believe in blaming one person or passing the buck. im saying the media doesnt help the matter by 'sexing it up' and making it out as if its something to be proud of.
    i take my hat off to teenage mothers. although i dont have children off my own i work with them 5 days a week and know what a handful they can be and thats only 8 hours a day i wouldnt be able to cope with it 24 /7!

Quote Originally Posted by annaz View Post
    I reading the Daily Mail today and one of the articles was from a pregnant fourteen year old, who said that nowadays being pregnant as a teen is popular!

This is the first I've ever heard of such a thing, do some teen girls around the country really think this?
    I must say I normally read the Daily Mail, not sure why at times, as it does tend to stereotype certain sections of our society and portray them not in a particularly good light, ie teen mums, people on benefits, teachers......

However, it is a fact we have the biggest number of teen pregnancies in Europe, and the age that teenagers are becoming sexually active is getting lower.

I think teenagers have babies for a number of reasons...yes some do have a child to get a flat (I know this happens quite frequently in the area that I work in). Though accidents happen too.....and I think it is an extremely brave thing to do as a teenager to proceed and have the baby, rather than having an abortion (though I know that isnt an easy option either), because they will be responsibility of caring for that child 24/7 for the next 16+ years. That must be a frightening prospect when you are barely an adult yourself.

I do think it is extremely sad, and shows how sick our society actually is if young people are just having babies to 'fit in' as Annaz said the article stated...Babies should never be seen as the latest must have accessory...

Thanking the fabulous TAbbie, for the banner!

I'm not generalising everyone, it's just that the majority of them in this decade seem to be.

I've found the Daily Mail article here and this is only 1/2 hr from me - but excuse me if I offend anyone here, but the father of the girl says "There's nothing for children to do in Paignton. I honestly think they get bored and think it's a fashionable thing to get pregnant." Also in the article he "blamed the rise in underage pregnancies on growing "gang culture" where teenagers hang around drinking, taking drugs and having sex."

Is this what his daughter has been doing?

By the way, Dr Adrian Rogers is a staunched supporter of 2.4 children per family, all parents must be married, you aren't allowed to divorce etc, so to see his name crop up within this article, saying what he does, really doesn't surprise me .

I'm not generalising everyone, it's just that the majority of them in this decade seem to be.
    Sorry Kim, but you said, and I quote: I think it takes some stupid, stupid people to end up like that.

That to me is generalising that anyone in that position at that age is stupid, and I for one, certainly am not.

Thread Information