Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Teen Pregnancy is popular?

When I was 16 there were a lot of my friends getting pregnant so they could get their own council house. While some have remained with their boyfriends and went on to return to work full-time and have a mortagage others have remained on benefits for the last 20+ years and went onto have different kids to different fathers. I never had Marley until I was 31 mainly because I didn't want kids when I was younger, I was too busy enjoying going out boozing every weekend.

I think its up to the responsiblilty of the parents to educate and discuss with their children epecially the teenagers of the dangers of having un age sex. As a mother of a daughter I am dreading when she becomes a teenager.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

A school near mine, one of the girls in Y9 is pregnant. I don't know the circumstances, but I just cannot imagine myself ever being in that position at all, being pregant 13/14.

There was also that story a while ago of the 12 year old who was pregnant, she didn't care basically she gave in the interview and still went out drinking and smoking. Anyone know what happened to her, she was in the news a lot when it happened.

I believe that you are referring to the wee lassie in West Lothian.

I understand that both she and her baby were taken into care.
    Last edited by Trinity; 01-03-2007 at 09:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post

And the boyfreind ended up in prison. The judge put him on probrabtion on the agreement he stayed out of trouble but then he got arrested for breach of the peace so the judge jailed him.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

One of these girls in my year today I know was quite upset so I asked her what was wrong and she said she was sick everywhere and wasn't on for over 2-3 weeks now. She was trying to tell me she might have been pregnant.. she clearly was worried and not ready and she's only been out with this boy for a week I was quite shocked but I'm glad she's going to the doctors next week to confirm it..

I don't know what I would do in such position..

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'Brien View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post

And the boyfreind ended up in prison. The judge put him on probrabtion on the agreement he stayed out of trouble but then he got arrested for breach of the peace so the judge jailed him.
    Her baby was born a few weeks prem as well. It made me mad to see pictures of her smoking and living with her drug addict mother while pregnant.

Did anybody watch a program a long while ago about teenage mothers? They were sent away with their babies to someplace to learn how to look after them. One of the girls (I think she was 13) refused to even pick her baby up because she didn't want it.
    To be fair, there was a 17year old single mum with twins and she was a brilliant with them. She had a council house and all the rest of it but she lived on her own with two babies and was planning to go to college when they started school.

I know a girl who deliberatly got pregnant because she didn't want to go to school anymore (better than just twagging I guess.) A few months after she had the baby she gave it up because she didn't want it.

I know people say it, and sometimes they use it as an excuse as to why we have the highest teen pregnancy rate, but sex education in school needs to be better. All we did was pass around a condom and look at it and that isn't good enough. Maybe making it more well known to teenagers that condoms are freely available will reduce the number of pregnancys. But then again it could encourage more to have sex underage.
    Parents should also teach their kids about sex but it's such a taboo subject that not many people feel comfortable talking about it and some parents don't know enough about the implications of having sex i.e. std's and their symptoms.

I saw that programme as part of my general studies lesson. I think he did make it look a lot more negative than it actually is. Bigging up the sterotype in a sense.

My twelve year old is currently doing reproduction in the science class. And my 15 yeat old has been doing STDs in social education.

we used to have EPR days which were emotional personal and religous days out of school youd do 1 or 2 a year on all this sort of stuff. Its not like your not taught about protection. I dont get why the ratio is so high.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    I dont get why the ratio is so high.
    Yeah i don't get it either really. I dont know anybody near me that has been a teenager mother. My cousin (well she's my great aunts daughter) was 20 when she had a baby, i thought that was quite young, cause she's only about 7 months older than me. But she's happy with her boyfriend, and daughter whose gorgeous. lol. My cousin was adopted, and i think part of the reason she probably wanted to keep the baby was cause she's a bit detached from her adoptive mother, and was looking for somebody to love. And she's a great mother!

I do think it's wrong that there's a system where young people feel like they need to get pregnant to get more money, and a council house. Why don't children realise their potential? they can go to school, university, get a great job. I think maybe some parents, who perhaps don't have much money, feel their children should earn a living, and aren't happy with their children going into education and not paying their way. The government should make it easier for people to get on in life!

I'm in University. I'm nearly 22. Coming up to the end of my 1st year. I'm loving it! I do want a baby one day, and would probably keep it, if i did fall pregnant. But saying that, i would take a lot of things into consideration, and not rush my decision.

I don't think people should dismiss abortions so quickly, especially when it's a teenager that falls pregnant. It's ultimately their decision, but parents should make them see that there could be a lot more to their life, if they didn't go ahead with the pregnancy.

Thread Information