Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dot Threatens to Quit Depressing Eastenders

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    It depends.. sometimes you have comic character which is funny all the time (which is suppose to be Gary) then you have the ones who don't think they are funny but come out with comic stuff (they tried with Honey and failed) When shane richie first came in.. he provide that light relief.. maybe another like him
    Thanks Siobhan.. I felt the same way, I had so many giggles when they first brought "Alfie"on board, he was funny, cheeky and very much Jack the lad, loved him ,, until,,EE saw it fit to ruin him, I am only glad when he did leave Kat went with him at least they got a happy ending.....
    These YOUNG ooooh so FIT actors/actresses need to stop posing and start acting .. and earn their crust like the older ones are,,,

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJodi For This Useful Post:

alan45 (07-02-2007)

gutted if its true,dot is one of the reasons i still watch,pitty june brown though,shes not had it easy with the pathetic scripts,i dont like the alfie funny storylines or minty so called funny storylines,but i did used to love the sarcastic dry humour EE were so good at,but somehow they seem to have forgot how to do that,

Quote Originally Posted by JustJodi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    It depends.. sometimes you have comic character which is funny all the time (which is suppose to be Gary) then you have the ones who don't think they are funny but come out with comic stuff (they tried with Honey and failed) When shane richie first came in.. he provide that light relief.. maybe another like him
    Thanks Siobhan.. I felt the same way, I had so many giggles when they first brought "Alfie"on board, he was funny, cheeky and very much Jack the lad, loved him ,, until,,EE saw it fit to ruin him, I am only glad when he did leave Kat went with him at least they got a happy ending.....
    These YOUNG ooooh so FIT actors/actresses need to stop posing and start acting .. and earn their crust like the older ones are,,,
    Exactly. But the producers will keep employing them because they appeal to EEs core audience.
    Last edited by alan45; 07-02-2007 at 06:47.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by callummc View Post
    gutted if its true,dot is one of the reasons i still watch,pitty june brown though,shes not had it easy with the pathetic scripts,i dont like the alfie funny storylines or minty so called funny storylines,but i did used to love the sarcastic dry humour EE were so good at,but somehow they seem to have forgot how to do that,
    Its not hip or PC to do that now/ EE is all about political issues now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'Brien View Post
    The thing with EE is that they bring in characters to be evil and turn them into wimps. If a character is to be a baddie like nick cotton keep him a baddie. When corrie introduced Charlie or Richard Hilliman we all knew they were going to be wicked.
    You're absolutely right there. This is one of the main problems with EE; the many character changes. When both Minty and Billy first came in they were villains, but look at them now. Barry was another who changed from villain to buffoon. Even Fick Fill now seems to have a tender side which he never had before. Bring back Nick and Janine, at leat they stayed real villains.

As for the comic side, it seems the EE scriptwriters just can't write comedy in the way the Corrie scriptwriters can. Norris has already been mentioned, but there is also Blanche and just a general way of bringing in comic moments with people like Sean, Steve, the Battersby-Browns, etc., that just doesn't happen in EE. The only comedy we get there is the heavily laboured - "you can see the joke coming a mile off" - attempts at comedy from Garry and Minty, which are mostly set-up pieces not natural as in Coronation Street.

I used to be a great fan of Eastenders and could take or leave Coronation Street. Now it is most definitely the other way round for me.
    Last edited by parkerman; 07-02-2007 at 09:34.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

alan45 (07-02-2007)

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'Brien View Post
    The thing with EE is that they bring in characters to be evil and turn them into wimps. If a character is to be a baddie like nick cotton keep him a baddie. When corrie introduced Charlie or Richard Hilliman we all knew they were going to be wicked.
    You're absolutely right there. This is one of the main problems with EE; the many character changes. When both Minty and Billy first came in they were villains, but look at them now. Barry was another who changed from villain to buffoon. Even Fick Fill now seems to have a tender side which he never had before. Bring back Nick and Janine, at leat they stayed real villains.

As for the comic side, it seems the EE scriptwriters just can't write comedy in the way the Corrie scriptwriters can. Norris has already been mentioned, but there is also Blanche and just a general way of bringing in comic moments with people like Sean, Steve, the Battersby-Browns, etc., that just doesn't happen in EE. The only comedy we get there is the heavily laboured - "you can see the joke coming a mile off" - attempts at comedy from Garry and Minty, which are mostly set-up pieces not natural as in Coronation Street.

I used to be a great fan of Eastennders and could take or leave Corontaion Street. Now it is most definitely the other way round for me.
    That is the BIG problem. The characters all seem to have personality changes which seem to depend on on who happens to be writing the stories at the time. Do they think the viewers are stupid and wont notice the sweeping change from thug to nice guy or from nice girl to slapper

Rumoured exit scenario

According to Soaplife, it's rumoured she will be written out over the storyline where she brings a baby home, because Jim calls immigration as the mother is an illegal immigrant. Dot runs to the church with the baby and his mother Anya. Thery're not safe there, so Anya is taken away, back to the Ukraine. They've hinted Dot would go to the Ukraine to reunite the pair in time.

I don't think EastEnders is boring and I have never once of my free will mmissed an episode but I agree that this Dot storyline sounds unlikely. I'll be sorry if June and the actor playing Jim leave though. they are really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    According to Soaplife, it's rumoured she will be written out over the storyline where she brings a baby home, because Jim calls immigration as the mother is an illegal immigrant. Dot runs to the church with the baby and his mother Anya. Thery're not safe there, so Anya is taken away, back to the Ukraine. They've hinted Dot would go to the Ukraine to reunite the pair in time.
    Written out again???? It seems like only yesterday she was away for a while to look after Nick.

Thread Information