Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dot Threatens to Quit Depressing Eastenders

Cool Dot Threatens to Quit Depressing Eastenders

EASTENDERS legend June Brown is threatening to quit — because she doesn’t like the depressing storylines.

June, 79, who has been in the gloomy soap for 22 YEARS, recently held up filming for two hours while she complained about a new plot.

In a second blow for chiefs, co-star John Bardon — June’s on-screen hubby Jim Branning — has already told new boss Diederick Santer he wants out.

June, who plays downtrodden Dot, admitted to pals she now finds the storylines “depressing”. She is said to be particularly unhappy with a plot in which Dot finds a refugee baby dumped in a church and takes her home.

The actress gave bosses a flea in the ear about the scripts, delaying filming on location in Tring, Herts. And that sparked a row with John, who told her off for keeping the crew waiting.

A show insider said: “There was tension, a feeling she should have seen producers as soon as she got the script.

“June and John are good friends but they are tired of the show and don’t really like where it is going.”

But last night an EastEnders spokeswoman insisted: “John and June are not leaving.”

Well they would say that wouldnt they
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    I honestly think IF June and John did LEAVE.. EastEnders would be DEAD for good !!!
    Remember not too long back Adam ( Ian) threatened to leave,,

It would NOT hurt EE to write some NICE story lines,for a change. I presume it is just easier for the writers to write doom and gloom over nice stuff ???

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJodi For This Useful Post:

alan45 (06-02-2007)

June is the backbone of EE. She must be appalled as an actress with some of the keek that is churned out by the alleged scriptwriters. If they were foolish enough to let her go then this would IMO be the final nail in EEs coffin. The patient is critical but not yet terminal.

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    I find it very depressing at the moment - I hadn't watched for ages, tuned in for a bit these past couple of weeks and there is no happiness, no comedy moments, just depression. I want light entertainment of an evening, not going to bed, totally depressed and down for just watching EE.

This doesn't surprise me with June - if she did leave, she'd be sorely missed. Her and Jim are the only two that do occasionally bring light relief into the show.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
    I find it very depressing at the moment - I hadn't watched for ages, tuned in for a bit these past couple of weeks and there is no happiness, no comedy moments, just depression. I want light entertainment of an evening, not going to bed, totally depressed and down for just watching EE.

This doesn't surprise me with June - if she did leave, she'd be sorely missed. Her and Jim are the only two that do occasionally bring light relief into the show.
    Maybe they should have a link direct to the Samaratains after every show

Were you affected by any of the depressing things in this show if so ring this number 0800 . . . . . . .

I don't what story they could do to brighten it up... Life doesn't seem (or atleast the news) to be full of happy stuff...
    Super Mod

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    I don't know about what story either, but EE rivals (although I don't watch them only once in a while if I'm really bored) have the comedy element running alongside the storylines. Norris in Corrie for example, even producing a funny side to the Charlie murder story. I'm not saying its required in EE all the time, but to have another character somewhere providing a little bit of light relief would be welcome. Have a large storyline going on, and then the odd quip here and there to keep it entertaining (can't seem to find the right words this morning, but I think you get what I mean lol)

Sounds like they are threatening to quit, but not quitting.

Good on June for speaking out against shoddy scriptwriters. She's done this a lot in recent years. Without her protests, things might be even worse on EE.

An EE without Dot or Jim doesn't bear thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
    I don't know about what story either, but EE rivals (although I don't watch them only once in a while if I'm really bored) have the comedy element running alongside the storylines. Norris in Corrie for example, even producing a funny side to the Charlie murder story. I'm not saying its required in EE all the time, but to have another character somewhere providing a little bit of light relief would be welcome. Have a large storyline going on, and then the odd quip here and there to keep it entertaining (can't seem to find the right words this morning, but I think you get what I mean lol)

I know what you mean but EE seem to fail at that.. there attempt is Gary/Minty or Billy on occasions.. Dot provided a lot of light relief but look now she has lost everyone... I would rather a character develop to be funny and not have EE force a comic on us. As you said, Norris seems natural..but he doesn't realise he is funny.. EE gives us blundering idiots instead of people who make a comment and don't realise that it was funny
    Super Mod

I think EE are misunderstanding "gripping". I remember at one time, rushing to the tv to find out "what happens next" Now it's just a case of "oh god, another ones dead, run away, split up, depressed, drunk or suicidal"
    I wish they would just think more carefully about what they are trying to portray. Everyone has a comedy character in their lives somewhere, therefore, if they are trying to portray real life, bring the comedy characters to the foreground every now and then. Corrie has the right balance at the moment. Maybe EE should take note.

Thread Information