Thread: Primary School PE lessons

Primary School PE lessons

I really need some help urgently. Pretty please.

In three weeks time, I've got to go and lead a reception class or a year 3/4 class (I'm not sure which it is) for an hour in a PE lesson. It's for a junior sports leader award which is completed by the end of the year. One of my PE teachers will be watching me and judging me.

What I need is some ideas of what I can do with both classes taking into account their age and health and safety. According to our PE teacher 4 year-olds can't catch, so as you can see it has to be very aged focused. Any ideas will be really appreciated. I have an hour to fill.

Thank you so much.
    Hiro: ...but you flying man! WHOOOOSSSHHH!
    Nathan: Would you keep it down?
    Hiro: ...whooooosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamzi View Post
    I really need some help urgently. Pretty please.

In three weeks time, I've got to go and lead a reception class or a year 3/4 class (I'm not sure which it is) for an hour in a PE lesson. It's for a junior sports leader award which is completed by the end of the year. One of my PE teachers will be watching me and judging me.

What I need is some ideas of what I can do with both classes taking into account their age and health and safety. According to our PE teacher 4 year-olds can't catch, so as you can see it has to be very aged focused. Any ideas will be really appreciated. I have an hour to fill.

Thank you so much.
    For a warm up I either get them to pretend to be MR Men characters (Mr Jelly, Mr Tall (walk about with arms stretched up in the air, taking long strides etc...), Mr RUsh (gives them a chance to run all over the hall like headless chickens), Mr Slow (opposite of mr Rush - walk about as if in slow motion), Mr Small (make themselves as small as poss, crouching down) etc...

Or we warm up to the bean game...like above but with bean names...jelly bean, running bean, tall bean, jumping bean, beans on toast (lay down on floor) etc....

What are you wanting/needing to teach for your main bit, gym, dance, games etc?

Thanking the fabulous TAbbie, for the banner!

what about putting music on ie tweenies album and get them to warm up to that and then do a dance style gymnastics. i do it with my class of two year olds i play the music adn show them wot to do i e rolly polys and star jumps any gross motor skills theyd enjoy or find easy to do and some challenging ones too to push them to see what they can do.

Yeah theres games like Sticky Buds you call that out and add a body part on to the end and they have to find another person and conect their body part to the same as the others persons.
    For example you called out sticky bud elbow they have to join their elbow with someone elses.
    Last edited by Footie_Chick; 31-01-2007 at 10:43.

Thanks To Vicky For My Fab Banner!!!

after warm up you can play traffic light.. RED - stop, GREEN -go and YELLOW - walk.. you just yell out the colours and kids have to take the instruction.. Kids at that age love competition so a game of whoever moves when you yell Red is out!! things like that kids love
    Super Mod

yeah any games where they need to be physical, if it was the year 3 and 4 class you could do the throw and head game where you are in a circle and you say catch they have to head the ball back to you. Or for the reception class anyting thats basic to understand like Balance, standing on one foot. The Mr Men game is a good idea suggested by PB, we do that with our guides, and there 14.

Use the TOPs programme:

From 18 months to 18 years, the TOP programmes give young people of all abilities the chance to make the most of the opportunities that PE and sport can bring.

Top Start (3 to 5 year olds)
    TOP Start is focused on developing basic movement and ball skills in 3 to 5 year old children. It is also designed to encourage the full integration of young children with disabilities.

Usually for use with groups of children in pre-school environments, this programme is delivered through a number of games that are organised into four groups:

basic motor skills;

spatial awareness;

co-ordination and control;

aiming, predicting and estimating.

Focus on doing activities to suit the bullet points.

Using resource cards, TOP Start enables parents, carers, playgroup and nursery workers, and Early Years Development and Childcare Partnerships to engage children in fun and exciting physical activity. TOP Start supports the physical development aspect of the Foundation Curriculum.
    Last edited by Footie_Chick; 01-02-2007 at 13:38.

Thanks To Vicky For My Fab Banner!!!

I've found out I'm leading reception in multi skills. THank you for all the fab ideas, but I need some skill ideas as well as game ideas e.g. a relay race. Thank you
    Hiro: ...but you flying man! WHOOOOSSSHHH!
    Nathan: Would you keep it down?
    Hiro: ...whooooosh.

If its reception then skills like Balance eg having to stand on foot when you blow the whistle is an idea. Its quite tricky when they are that little.

Thread Information