Thread: Polish Plot Risks Row For Corrie

Polish Plot Risks Row For Corrie

POLISH PLOT RISKS ROW FOR CORRIE
    CORRIE bosses are bracing themselves for a Celebrity Big Brother style backlash over a storyline about a bullied foreign worker.

Actress Wanda Opalinska will play Polish immigrant Vicki, who gets a job at the Underworld factory in the ITV soap.

But Kelly and Joanne sabotage her sewing machine and bitch about the "foreign invasion".

And bosses Liam and Paul laugh about paying "little Polish pay packets".

"There will be scenes where viewers think she is being picked on because of where she is from.

Personally I think this will be a great storyline. It shows what is actually going on in many parts of Britain today. There is rarely a day on our local news when there is not a report of racism against these workers coming in from Eastern Europe. In most cases they are hard workers doing jobs locals dont want for a much smaller wage.
    Last edited by alan45; 25-01-2007 at 10:43.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

i dont think there will be backlash on this because it will show how it effects the people being bullied and will raise awarness on the subject

Well it sounds a good storyline to me, not only because it involves my beloved Connors but because it shows how people feel about immigrants coming into a country and taking jobs. Also it shows how "immigrants" will be employed by bosses for a much smaller wage inorder to increase their profit margins. So it will show things from an employers point of view and a workers point of view.

At the end of the day this is only a storyline in a soap/programme put on for entertainment and therefore shouldn't be taken to heart.

A Very Sexy and Brilliant Actor

No worries over Corrie immigrant storyline

Coronation Street producers are confident that a forthcoming immigrant storyline would not cause a flurry of Celebrity Big Brother-style complaints.

Actress Wanda Opalinska is to play new Polish knicker-stitcher Vicki, who appears in Weatherfield in the hope of landing a job.

During her time at Underworld, Kelly "Legs" Crabtree (Tupele Dorgu) and Joanne Jackson (Zaraah Abrahams) bitch about the "foreign invasion" and sabotage her sewing machine, while factor owners Paul and Liam Connor (Sean Gallagher and Rob James-Collier) joke about "little Polish pay packets".

A Street source told The Mirror: "The scripts were done before the furore over Celebrity Big Brother and its bullying and racist content.

"There will be scenes where viewers think she is being picked on because of where she is from. We are mindful of people pointing the finger at how we portray her but the Street is never afraid to tackle sensitive issues."

Wanda has already started filming with the ITV soap, with her first on-screen appearance set for Monday, February 26.

Thanks To Vicky For My Fab Banner!!!

People have to rememeber that this is a soap and that it isnt real. Its completley different to Big Brother as they are actually saying that themselves, they have not been asked to say it as an actor, that these people are, and there not actually there opinions. Its a brave decision as it will be a good story to raise awareness about what does actually happen.

I think this will be a great storyline, Corrie shouldn't really get complaints over it as it's only a soap and is not real life, plus they're raising awareness to what really goes on today, and its not the actors actual comments and thoughts. I think Corrie will do this storyline really well.

I don't think they will get complaints because 1) like you said this is a soap 2)highlighting an issue...3) they're not going all out with the nastiness and doing it in a extravagent (not the right word but I can't think) way, it's about sly digs here and there and malicious behaviour not all out cat fights, screaming racial abuse and beatings etc.

Thread Information