Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The In - Between (EE/Sean centred)

The In - Between (EE/Sean centred)

A/N - Summary - Sean has his own secrets and reasons for his behaviour, being unable to face his mother, and dealing with life. (Written story style).

EPILOGUE

Sean glared at the rain pattered window as a cloud of smoke escaped his lips. He tapped the ash off his cigarette onto the plate before him; he didn’t care if he was told he wasn’t allowed to smoke in the house, he was going to do it anyway. There wasn’t anyone in with him.

Stacey’s scowl was still etched on his mind; the scowl she had worn as she left, letting the front door slam behind her. She was going to see their mum. Just the thought made his skin crawl as he leant back in his chair and set his mouth in a firm line. His brash sister would never understand quite why he held his mother in such contempt.

It wasn’t just the memories of their mother’s crazy and embarrassing antics all those years ago. It wasn’t just the way she would blame him for things invented in her own head. It wasn’t just the way that he had to comfort his younger sister, when they were frightened of their mother’s rants. It wasn’t just that she was essentially, a rubbish mother.

He stabbed his cigarette out and rubbed at his eyes, feeling a wave of exhaustion wash over him, which was typical after days awake and energetic. So when the call of sleep finally came, he submitted to it.

The sofa had become his makeshift bed after Charlie’s hasty offer to invite him to stay. That was his destination; he was mindful not to trip over an empty plate and mug still half full of tea that he had left on the floor since breakfast. He crouched down at the foot of the sofa where his backpack was, unzipping it and rummaging through.

When his fingers finally brushed past the green and white packaging he pulled it out and flipped it over in his hands. He frowned, even before he slid out the foil covered sheets that usually contained pills – it appeared he had a few left. Stuff it, he thought, shoving the box back into the bag and zipping it up.

He let himself flop down onto the sofa and pull the borrowed duvet over himself. He rolled onto his side, letting his face rest against the back of the sofa as he closed his eyes and waited for the sleep to come. After sleep he would be refreshed, ready to fight against the world again, and possibly fight his family too.

He didn’t need them, he told himself, he’d been fine all these years. He could leave. Stacey might be upset, but she’d get over it - again.

He wasn’t entirely a bad person; it wasn’t entirely him. Their mother would know about that. He would never be as bad as his mother though he thought; trying to justify to him self that it was okay to skip the medication occasionally. That way he could drink later.
    Danny: but i haven't shaved yet
    Alfie: don't worry darlin, no-ones going to see those lovely legs of yours

Leicestershire in the middle of the United Kingdom
    Wow I love this script I really want to know more I do like Sean most of the time so please post more
    Thanks Jessie Wallace For My Fab Banner

A/N - Thanks Rach33, here's chapter 1 for you

Sean was sat in the corner booth in the Queen Vic, sipping silently from his pint. He was fairly certain that the glowering bald guy behind the bar, Phil he vaguely remembered his name being, was watching him. He had been in the pub for about two hours, and was on his fourth drink.

The blonde girl sat barely on the edge of the bar stool was smiling his way again. She had too much makeup, but lots of bare leg which was nicer to look at than her toothy smile. He wagered a smile in her direction anyway, seeing as he needed something to do to pass the time.

“I should have known you’d be here” he jumped slightly at the voice, and a pink bag plonked onto the table before him. He looked up from it into the agitated face of his sister. “You’d rather be getting drunk and leering over some tarts than seeing your own mother!”

“What man wouldn’t?” Sean retorted picking up his pint protectively as his sister sat down beside him.

“Don’t you even care how she is?”

“Not particularly”

Stacey narrowed her eyes, “she’s in a state Sean, she’s run out of her medication” she started to take off her jacket, missing the look on his face. “I brought up that you’ve turned up and she was…she thinks you’re dead. What does that tell you?”

“That she’s crazy” he muttered, despite knowing that although he personally found it slightly amusing, Stacey was going to have a go at him.

“Don’t you even go there Sean!” she warned, “I can’t believe how heartless you’re being. In fact, I can’t believe how much of a coward you are!”

“Excuse me?”

“You can face wars, but you can’t even face your own mother?” Stacey scoffed.

“They’re not even in the same league Stace” he muttered. “And I’m not scared of her. I just don’t want to see her, what’s so hard to understand about that?”

“But she’s our mum”

“Stacey just drop it” Sean rolled his eyes and drank some of his pint.

“You can’t keep running away like a scared kid. If you can handle meeting me and living with me again, why can’t you handle meeting her?”

“I said drop it!” Sean snapped, gaining the unwanted attention of some nearby drinkers. He lowered his voice and leaned in towards her. “I’m not going to see her. That’s it. End of” he slammed his glass down on the table and grabbed his jacket, to leave.

He stormed out of the pub and across the street as he shrugged on the jacket, feeling as gloomy as the autumn night hanging above him. He bumped into a man roughly, hardly acknowledging it in his mood.

“Oi, watch where you’re going!” the man stopped to snap back at him.

“Whatever!” you old ginger ******, he added silently in his head.

The last thing he had wanted to hear about that evening was his mum – like he should feel sorry for her. He laughed bitterly to himself as he stopped in the middle of the square and looked around. Great, now where was he going to go?

“Sean!” he closed his eyes – it looked like Stacey had come after him after all.

“What?”

“I’m sorry” she offered weakly, “we could go for a drink if you want”

“I’m not in the mood” he muttered. “Look, go do your boyfriend or something, I’m going for a walk”

“Sean!” Stacey called after him again as he walked off in the opposite direction. Typical she thought, always walking away.

Chapter 2

“Your brother didn’t get in till late” Mo commented as Stacey leant against the kitchen counter and waited for her toast to pop up. “Just waltzed in, banged around the kitchen, woke Charlie up – you know what he’s like when he’s woken up when he’s got the early shifts - I Bet you he is have a hangover the size of a mammoth”

Stacey raised an eyebrow at her Nan, “Sean? No Nan, he left the pub and went for a walk. It wasn’t drunkenness; it was male stubbornness you heard”

Mo shook her head, and waved the butter knife at her, “I’m telling you, unless your brother bucks up his ideas, gets a job or makes him self useful, Charlie will regret letting him kip on the sofa!”

“Come on Nan, he’s practically only just got here. He doesn’t know Walford or anyone – he hasn’t seen me for 7 years”

“And he still hasn’t told us everything that he’s been upto”

“I told you, he was in the army”

“Yeah, which accounts for four years, what about the rest?”

Stacey jumped as her toast popped it – it got her every time. She picked them out tentatively to avoid being burnt, letting them drop onto her plate. “He’ll tell us” she muttered, “pass me the butter Nan”

Mo did as requested, “Well we still don’t know anything about him, I mean does he have money, a girlfriend, qualifications?”

“He has ears” Sean interrupted them, making them jump.

“Toast Sean?” Stacey asked.

He looked down at the half blackened slices on her plate. “No thanks, coffee will do” he walked past her to get to the kettle.

“’Ere, are you looking for work today?” Mo asked.

“I might do, if I’ve got nothing else to do”

“Nan, go and get ready to open the stall” Stacey sighed.

“My breakfast!”

“Take it with you” Stacey handed their Nan her plate and ushered her out of the kitchen. “She sure moans a lot doesn’t she?”

“Hmm” Sean searched the cupboards after flicking on the kettle.

Stacey licked her lips anxiously. “It’s Bradley’s birthday today, there’s a meal happening tonight at his house, fancy coming with me?”

“Bradley?”

“My boyfriend, remember”

“Why would I want to sit in and be a third wheel on some lame teenage date?”

Stacey glared, “it’s not like that, his parents will be there”

“Ooh exciting, do we get party hats too?” Sean flinched when she hit his arm.

“Stop being an anti-social prat and come with me. I don’t want to go on my own, besides you need to make friends”, she bristled at the look he gave her, “Bradley and his family are nice! They’d like to meet you”

“If you say so” Sean spooned coffee and sugar granules into a mug. “They haven’t even invited me have they? I bet they don’t even know about me”

“Well, they won’t mind” Stacey waved off, “and Bradley knows about you”

“Oh well that’s okay then”

“Shut up, you’re going with me. End of”, Stacey left the kitchen to get ready to open the stall with her Nan. She’d have to catch up with Tanya in her break, or if she passed by, about their extra guest – surely she wouldn’t mind.

Sean sighed as the kitchen door shut after his sister, and the kettle finished boiling.

Chapter 3

“Hey, Tanya” Max gestured to the extra place setting at the table, “Who is this extra setting for?”

“Oh, Stacey’s brother is going to join us” the blonde smiled as she finished arranging the cutlery.

“She has a brother?”

“Yeah, called Sean, I think. He hasn’t been in Walford long”

“How come we didn’t know about this brother before?”

“I don’t know, look, Bradley’s met him. Just be nice okay, it’s Bradley’s birthday”

“If he’s as common as that girl, I swear”-

“Max!” Tanya scowled at him. Her husband was always saying how Bradley could do better, but personally she thought she was a nice girl, and made a cute couple with Bradley. It was then that the doorbell rang. “Bradley!” Tanya called, then gave Max a warning look; “be nice”.

She went and opened the front door, to see Stacey smiling nervously and dressed up rather nicely in a black dress and wearing her hair up. The tall male besides her looked less enthusiastic, and dressed in black jeans and a white shirt. “Heya Stacey, you look gorgeous” she gushed, “and you must be Sean. I’m Tanya, Bradley’s mum – well, stepmum” she held her hand out to him.

After a warning nudge off of Stacey, Sean reached out to shake her hand, “nice to meet you love”

The blonde smiled, “well come in, come in, dinner’s almost ready”

“Thanks” Stacey smiled, giving her brother one more nudge before entering the house, “where are the girls?”

“They’re sleeping over at a friends house tonight” Tanya explained, as Bradley came down the stairs.

“Stacey, hi” he smiled at his girlfriend, kissing her on the cheek, “you look gorgeous. Thanks for making it” he did a bit of a double take when seeing Sean. “Uh, hi, it’s nice you could make it too”

“Yeah” Sean glanced at him then strolled past into the lounge.

“Ignore him, he’s always moody. Happy Birthday sweetheart!” Stacey put her arms around Bradley.

Max glanced the other man up and down, “So, you’re Stacey’s brother”

“And you’re observant” Sean sat down and glanced up at him.

Tanya came sweeping in. “Oh have you already introduced yourselves to each other?” The two guys were engaged in a bitter staring contest. “Max, go get the wine while I serve up dinner”

“Sure Love” Max squeezed her shoulder as she went past, disappearing into the kitchen. “Look sunshine, it’s my son’s birthday, so if you act up, I’ll have to sort you out, alright?”

Sean raised his hands defensively, “I’m just here for the food and drink alright, so don’t get too exciting about putting anyone over your knee just yet, alright?”

“Max, the wine!” Tanya’s call interrupted any comeback, as the older man bristled and gave him a lingering glare before going to fetch the wine dutifully.

Sean smirked to himself as the love struck teenagers came tumbling into the room. “Thanks for the present Stace” Bradley was saying.

“Really? I know it won’t be as fancy as the laptop your parents got you but”-

“No really, the watch will come in handy” Bradley squeezed her hand. Sean rolled his eyes.

Stacey was beaming at her boyfriend, “I’m glad you like it”

Max came back in with a bottle of wine in his hand. “Is red alright for everyone?”

“Yeah thanks” Stacey and Bradley replied.

“Got any white?” Sean asked.

“Sorry, you’ll just have to make do with red” Max uncorked the bottle.

“Max, there’s white wine in the kitchen, go fetch it” Tanya tutted as she began to bring the plates of food in. She smiled over at Sean, “you can have white if you want”

He smirked and headed to the dining table after receiving gestures from Stacey.

It was after a rather tense meal and a few drinks that drama struck – a broken glass sliced Stacey’s hand and caused a great deal of fuss. “It’s just a scratch, I’ll be fine!”

“Don’t be silly, I’m taking you to A&E – you’re going to need stitches” Tanya was already rushing for her car keys.

“Bradley, I feel like such a muppet, I’m ruining your birthday”

“Don’t be silly Stace” Bradley held her, “let’s get your hand seen to”

“Max, I’m taking Stacey to A&E” Tanya called as she rushed into the lounge.

“Okay, okay, do you want me to come with?”

“No, you can stay if you want, it might not take long. Sean, are you coming?”

“I’ll stay here, my sister won’t want too many people fussing over her will she?”

“Are you sure?”

“She’ll be alright once she’s had stitches” Sean smiled, “I’ll give her a big hug and fuss over her when she gets back” he picked up his wine glass and headed into the kitchen.

“I’ll see you later love, be careful driving” Max kissed her on the cheek and watched as the loud mass of drama left through the front door. As quiet descended he turned and headed to the kitchen.

“Enjoying yourself?” he asked, watching Sean help himself to another glass of white wine.

“Well, I’ve had better nights”

“You couldn’t go to the hospital with your own sister? Aren’t you worried about her?”

“You know Stace, tough as old boots, she’ll live” the Slater shrugged. “Besides, the alcohol’s here ain’t it?”

Max shook his head, “unbelievable” he rounded the younger man leaning against the kitchen counter, “see I remember you now, from the other night, you bumped into me”

“Really? And?”

“You’re a rude little brat”

“So? What are you going to do? Act the hard man, put me in my place?”

“Sounds to me like you weren’t spanked enough as a child”

Sean’s lips wavered as a smirk appeared, “Oh I get plenty of it nowadays” he winked jokily.

“Really?” Max leaned in close, and let his hand slide over Sean’s leg to his ass.

“Hey!” Sean pulled away, spilling wine over his hand before he put the glass down.

“What?”

“I’m not like that” Sean wiped his hand on his own shirt.

“I didn’t say anything”

“You didn’t have to, your wandering hands said it all” Sean glared.

Max smirked, “listen to me, little boy, I don’t like you”

“I ain’t a little boy, and the feeling’s mutual” Sean spat out.

“I don’t like your sister either, and as lovely as this evening has been, I want you two to stay away from my Bradley, alright?”

Sean stood up to him, “My sister can do what she likes, and she likes Bradley – she’s not trouble. But I’m warning you, if he or anyone else hurts her”-

“You’d sit back and drink, like you did tonight when she got hurt by broken glass”

Sean exhaled in frustration. “That’s different”

“Maybe” Max shrugged, “I got the impression you wanted to be alone with me”

“What?” Sean laughed.

“Well you’re still here aren’t you? It’s almost like you want to fight with me”

“If you’re looking for a real fight, then I’m up for that” Sean grinned.

“Don’t even waste your time, little boy”

With that, Sean lunged to punch Max. He could not hide his look of surprise as Max grabbed him and turned him, pinning him against the counter. Sean struggled beneath him and turned to hit the older man again. Max had caught his sleeve, which shredded as the younger man moved, baring his arm. Max caught him by the wrist and glanced down, noticing the scars. He looked back at Sean. Sean swallowed and used the moment to pull back and then push Max away, before storming out of the house.

Leicestershire in the middle of the United Kingdom
    WOW the detail is brilliant it's like watching EE please post more soon I'm curious about Sean's past even more so now
    Thanks Jessie Wallace For My Fab Banner

A/N - Thanks Rach any readers are free to leave comments and feedback, I appreciate it!

Chapter 4

Damn! Sean thought repetitively, as he walked across the square. How did he always end up in these situations? He slowed to a halt as he looked at the block of light coming from the window of the Slaters’ household. Swallowing, he looked at his arm and sleeve, then back at the window. Double damn. He hastily covered his arm with the ruined sleeve before going to the front door and letting himself in.

“Stacey? Sean? Is that you?” Charlie called from the lounge.

“It’s me” Sean rushed into the room and grabbed his backpack before his uncle could notice anything, “just got to change my shirt!” he legged it out and up the stairs.

“What?” Charlie called after him confused, shaking his head.

The bathroom door was locked behind him as Sean scrambled through his backpack, scowling when he came across the box of pills and chucking them aside with other clothing, until he found a suitable long sleeved top. He pulled it on and smoothed it out, glancing into the mirror as if seeking the reflection’s approval. It frowned back. The things were thrown back into the bag, including the torn shirt, before Sean exited the bathroom and made his way back to the lounge.

“What was all that about?” Charlie asked.

Sean dropped the back by the foot of the sofa and kicked it into the space between the sofa and the table. “Stacey cut her hand badly; she’s gone to A&E for stitches”

“Is she alright? Why didn’t you go with her?”

“Yeah she’s fine, she didn’t want a fuss. Bradley and Tanya went with her; I came to tell you… she’s probably spending the night with Bradley anyway”

“I should phone the hospital”-

“She’s fine!” Sean snapped. “Sorry Charlie. You know what me and Stace are like about hospitals” he trailed off.

Charlie nodded slowly, “Alright…alright. Can you text her, ask her to call us as soon as she can?”

“Yeah”

“I better go find Mo in the pub, let her know” Charlie muttered more to himself, pushing past Sean.

The young Slater male exhaled slowly, glancing heavenwards before collapsing down onto the sofa. He listened out for the front door to close before he glanced down at his arms, self-consciously tugging the sleeves down.

It was around two hours later that Stacey returned home. Tanya had driven them back and instead of going into the Branning household, Bradley walked her back home where she was immediately fretted over by Charlie. “Sean text you earlier, I wanted you to phone ASAP; didn’t you get it?”

“I haven’t had time to think about checking my phone” Stacey replied, as she was seated in the kitchen and he set about making her a drink. “I’ve only just got back from the hospital, ain’t I”

“Let me look” Mo asked, taking hold of her arm and pulling it to her squinting as if she could see through the bandage. “I bet it’s hardly a scratch!” she let go.

“That’s what I said” Stacey muttered, “honestly granddad, stop fussing!”

“It was nice of your Bradley to walk you back home” he was muttering.

“Yeah, because I wouldn’t have managed it otherwise, not without a wheelchair or hospital gurney” Stacey rolled her eyes, “he must think I’m a right dozy cow and I ruined his birthday meal”

“Nah, he must have been worried about you” Charlie handed her a glass of juice.

“More than Sean was”

“He came right over to tell us, he sounded rather concerned”

“Well, where is he now?” Stacey looked around, “I knew someone was missing from the welcoming committee”

“He’s outside having a smoke” Mo informed her.

Sean was huddled up in his black hoody, hopping from foot to foot as he puffed away on his cigarette. It had gotten much colder than earlier, but he wasn’t going to let it stop him from the joy of his cigarette.

His sister emerged through the back door, and stepped towards him. “Don’t worry they didn’t have to amputate” she joked, flashing her stitched and bandaged hand at him.

“So you’re alright then?”

“I’ll live”

“Not spending the night with lover boy?”

“There’s only so much excitement Bradley can handle in one night, I don’t wanna push him over the edge” Stacey folded her arms. “What’s up with you anyway?”

“Huh?”

“I’m not saying you’re usually full of charm and grace, but tonight you’ve been well moody, especially with Max. Mind you, you both seem as moody and sarcastic as each other. But you could have been nicer to Bradley, it was his birthday!”

“Sorry”-

“Yeah you should be! So what is it, is it me? Is it because I’ve been harping on at you about mum?”

“Stace”-

“I get it, you just need time to deal with it, but you’re going to have to meet her sometime, she is our mum, and she needs us”

Sean laughed, “She needs you. She thinks I’m dead!”

“Because she’s off her pills and she didn’t believe me when I told her. If you went and spoke to her”-

“She’d think I’m a ghost, and go even loonier” he threw the butt of his cigarette down and crushed it beneath his shoe. He saw her open her mouth to retort but he spoke again; “look she doesn’t need me! And where has she been whenever we needed her?”

“That’s not fair – I was there with her, but you chose to leave and not contact us!” Stacey snapped.

“Yeah, I wondered how long it would be before you used that against me again!” Sean snapped back, “she doesn’t need me, I don’t need her, so leave it okay – just leave me alone!” he stomped past her, practically throwing the door open.

“Hey!” Mo called as he shoved past her through the kitchen. He had stormed his way out of the front door just as Stacey had rushed back into the kitchen. “What’s up with him?” Mo snapped at Stacey, who was frowning worriedly.

Part 5

Sean was sat on the bench in the square, hands stuffed in his pockets and a scowl on his face. Why did Stacey have to keep going on? When had she become their mum’s biggest fan anyway? He always remembered her as cowering in the bedroom whenever Jean’s rants began, and he remembered his sister crying whenever their mum had to go to hospital, leaving them alone with their stressed father.

He took out his packet of cigarettes, tapping one out before fumbling for a lighter. His scowl deepened when after a few frantic clicks he realised it was empty. He chucked it into the bin beside him with a loud metallic clang. Hearing footsteps he perked up slightly, as he leant forward and began to ask, “Oi mate, have you got a”- he stopped when he saw who it was. “Never mind”

Max looked down at him. “So here’s where you ran away to”

“I did not run away!”

“That would make a change, from what I hear”

“You don’t know anything, so shut your mouth”

Max remained in his casual stance, “So, those scars on your arms didn’t look like war wounds”

“Screw you” Sean sneered and stood up.

“Hey!” Max put a hand on his shoulder and forced him to sit back down, “I’m just trying to talk to you”

“Oh really? You’re concerned? Am I meant to spill my guts out to you, cry on your shoulder, let you feel me up and hooray I am cured? I don’t think so”

“I’m not big on the emotional chats myself, don’t get the wrong idea” Max pulled a lighter out from his jacket pocket and held it out, “light?”

Sean glared up at him and defiantly stuck the cigarette back into his pocket.

“Fine, whatever” Max rolled his eyes and returned the lighter back to his pocket. “I’m guessing Stacey doesn’t know about this, right?” he gestured vaguely to Sean, meaning his scars.

“It’s no one’s business. Why don’t you just leave already?”

“I’m a parent, it makes me concerned when I find out stuff like this”

“Well you’re not my parent, and you haven’t found out anything!”

“Denial, nice. Well hey, if it works for you”-

“A few hours ago, you were warning me off and wanted a fight with me!”

“No sunshine, you wanted a fight”

“If some pervert felt you up, wouldn’t you want to hit them back?”

“I ain’t a pervert” Max raised a hand in warning, pointing at him, “so enough of that!”

“What else do you call someone who feels up your ass? Oh wait, Gay”

“Hey!”

“It’s not nice when you got someone all in your face, is it?” Sean smiled sardonically.

Max set his jaw. “Alright, so I got you wrong. We got off on the wrong start. I came here to see how you were, talk”

“Talk all you want, I’m not interested”

“I can see why you’re a lonely person Sean”

“I’m not lonely” Sean snapped, “I look out for myself. I don’t need some middle aged guy who’s seen too many talk shows thinking he can come and sort me out, you can’t!”

“So you admit you’ve got problems”

“Don’t twist my words!”

“I’m trying to help mate” Max sat down on the bench next to him. He watched as Sean flinched and pulled away, standing up from the seat.

“You’re not, and never will be my mate! Stay away from me you sick freak!” Sean hissed as he took off away from the scene.

I don’t need him, he told himself, I don’t need anyone! I’m not lonely, I don’t have issues, the scars don’t mean anything…. Why did it feel like he was trying to convince himself these things the most?

this is a great script cherryz, i only found it today. poor sean, i really feel sorry for him and is max really gay or just trying to provoke sean.

A/N - Thanks Skits. On the Max thing, part of it was so he could suss Sean out, part of it was maybe putting that aspect in the story. We'll have to see how it goes really, but there will be more scenes between them soon.

Part 6

Even at night the Slater household was never quiet – the faint harmonious snoring from Mo and Charlie filtered through the floorboards and a tap was dripping in the kitchen. Sean lay on his back on the sofa glaring up at the ceiling through the darkness. A surge in him caused him to roll off onto his knees on the floor, crawling towards where he’d kicked his backpack. He glanced cautiously towards the ceiling, listening out, before he opened it up and rummaged around for the box of pills. Taking them, he scooted back to sit on the floor and lean against the sofa.

He could hear Stacey’s voice; “She’s in a state Sean; she’s run out of her medication… she’s off her pills”. She being Jean, she obviously couldn’t cope without her pills, she was dependent on them. Without them, she was nothing.

He felt something inside crush as his face scrunched and he whispered harshly to him self “I’m not like her!” and threw the packet. It hit the wall and bounced off, mockingly landing a metre before him, with its prescription label facing him.

His breath hitched as he rested his elbows on his knees and put his face in his hands. It had been a while since he had cried. How weak, he thought, rubbing at his eyes and running a hand over his face, before settling on resting his hand over his mouth. It was like an attempt to stop the tears, or stop him self from saying something. ‘Get a hold of yourself Sean’.

Slowly, he reached out for the packet, cautiously picking it up like they were dangerous. He turned the box over in his hands, and then tapped his fingers on its edges. ‘Take one’, he told himself, ‘and you’ll be fine, you won’t be like her. Do you want to stay off them and end up as loony as her?’. He swallowed and opened the box, slid out a sheet and pierced the foil.

The sound seemed suddenly loud; a guilty sound. He looked up at the ceiling. The familiar silence of the snoring and tap dripping hit his hears. He sighed, took the pill out and held it in his palm, leaving two left in the packet. It looked like a tic-tac in the dark, a gleaming tablet waiting to be consumed. Bracing himself, he put it on his tongue and forced him self to swallow.

Two days later, the packet was empty. It had been shoved hastily into his jacket pocket, not wanting to risk throwing it away in the bin, in case someone saw it. He needed to pick up his repeat prescription from the doctors, hence why he was patting his other pocket to check for keys, and heading down the hallway.

“Sean” Stacey called, taking tumbling steps down the stairs, “I need to tell you something”

“It’s going to have to wait Stace, I’ve got things to do”

“But it’s important”-

“Tell me later” he snapped, shutting the door behind him and leaving Stacey in the hallway sighing with exasperation. Her mobile began to rang and vibrate in her pocket, insisting she answer it.

“Hi, mum….yeah of course it’s still fine to meet up…. mum, the thing is…never mind, everything’s fine”

Sean had stopped off for a cigarette, or two…three actually, and a coffee from the café, before he entered the doctor’s surgery. 10 minutes later he was stood outside of it again, staring down at the green slip clutched in his hands. Worriedly he glanced around, checking no one was watching him before he stuffed it into his pocket. Next stop, chemists. He patted his pocket…wait…. wallet! “Damn!” he hissed. Reluctantly he headed back to their house.

“Stace, have you seen my wallet?” he called, closing the front door and entering the lounge.

His sister was sat on the sofa looking at him with wild bambi in the headlights eyes, which was similar to the expression worn on the face of the woman sat next to her. “Sean?” she had gasped, staring at him.

There she was. Their so called mother; the one he had ran away from 7 years ago, was sitting on the sofa cool as a cucumber, as opposed to bouncing off the walls, looking at him in some kind of inexplicable awe. He hadn’t been prepared for this. He didn’t want to see her again.

“I tried to tell you earlier” Stacey weakly spoke as she looked guiltily up at her brother.

He was pressed rigidly against the door, staring at them both. He practically flinched when his mother stood up, raising her arms towards him, “You’re here, and you’ve grown up” she laughed, “You’re so…tall!”

“Don’t come near me” he warned, raising a hand slightly, denying any access to a ‘reunion hug’. He glared at Stacey, “I can’t believe you”, he turned on his heel and fled, forgetting about the wallet.

He could hear his name being called, but he kept on going. He ran.

Thread Information