Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cilla Battersby-Brown

Cilla Battersby-Brown

Coronation Street actress Wendi Peters is to quit the show after four years.

The 38-year-old – who plays loudmouth mother-from-hell Cilla Battersby-Brown – informed executive producer Steve Frost of her decision to leave at the end of last year.

The soap's writing team are now in the process of working on a dramatic exit storyline for the character.

Of her decision to call time on her role, Wendi said: "I've had a brilliant four years at Coronation Street. It's been filled with wonderful experiences and great opportunities.

"I feel very privileged to have been given the fantastic character of Cilla and I shall really miss her. I'm looking forward to spending a bit more time with my family and pursuing and working on other projects."

Steve Frost commented: "Wendi is a valued member of the cast and she has made the character of Cilla one of the most colourful and memorable characters in soap history.

"We totally understand her reasons for wanting to leave and are grateful that she has given us so much notice – this means that we can spend time writing an exit storyline which will do her and the character of Cilla justice."

Cilla will return to Weatherfield on Monday (Jan 22) from the trip of a lifetime after announcing to Les and the neighbours that she had duped them all over her claim that she was suffering from skin cancer.

Wendi currently commutes from Hertfordshire to Manchester to play Cilla and is "looking forward to combining new roles with spending more time with husband Kenny and daughter Gracie."

Cilla's final scenes on the cobbles are to air in the autumn.

Source: Digital Spy

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaVeyWaVey For This Useful Post:

ChelseaFC (18-01-2007), Katy (18-01-2007), tammyy2j (19-01-2007)

Good riddance to panto Cilla!
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_2k7 View Post
    I quite like her character. She is all the neighbours from hell rolled into one. I think her character is made up of a combination of people. Lets face it we all know someone like Cilla
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

She'll be a great loss. Wendi Peters is a great actor and the character is just brilliant. Very sad.
    Last edited by parkerman; 18-01-2007 at 20:03.

I love Cilla too. And I agree Wendi is great! Cilla is really funny. I will miss her

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post
    Lets face it we all know someone like Cilla
    Maybe, but surely not to that extent alan!!

i like Cilla, and i really do know a few like her. I cant believe shes been in it for four years.

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post
    Lets face it we all know someone like Cilla
    Maybe, but surely not to that extent alan!!
    Oh yes, I used to live on the same street as someone just like her.

Wendi will be missed, as she is very good at playing drama, and a bit of comedy. It's a shame the writers never delved into her past. I expect she will be taking Chesney Hawkes with her. "I am, the kid from Corrie..."

I just want to say that I do like the actress btw.. she seems very nice in real life but I just think she's played a bad character.

I just want to say that I do like the actress btw.. she seems very nice in real life but I just think she's played a bad character.
    Have to disagree with you there. Yes there were some terrible panto moments last year, Deep Fried Turkey, the Bath Scene and the theft of the zimmer. The early storyline when she was trying to obtain ''compo'' for Chesney was sheer class and so typical of someone like Cilla. The recent cancer storyline has been good and Im looking forward to the aftermath of it when she returns from swimming with the dolphins
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Thread Information