Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lisa Fowler (Lucy Benjamin)

We may be very close to seeing another EastEnders showdown between Phil Mitchell and the one-time partner who infamously shot him.

Speculation is rife that classic EastEnders cast member Lucy Benjamin will make a surprise month-long return as Louise Mitchell's mum Lisa Fowler as part of Friday's fallout to the prom horror.

Louise Mitchell in the EastEnders prom trailer
    © BBC

During Thursday's episode, the fate of Louise (Tilly Keeper) was left ambiguous after she was shoved into a row of candles by vengeful Alexandra (Sydney Craven) in the latest twist in the soap's bullying storyline.

According to The Mirror, the soap has now planned a massive surprise in which Lisa Fowler is first to her injured daughter's side in Friday night's episode — not Phil Mitchell as everyone suspected.

It would certainly be a swerve since Steve McFadden is confirmed to be imminently returning as Phil as well after an extended hiatus over the last six months.

A source told Digital Spy that Louise has been left in a severely perilous state because of her attack, and urged fans to tune in to see if a family reunion really is in the works.

The relationship between Louise's parents has always been fraught, with Lisa notoriously shooting Phil in a 2001 storyline that attracted more than 20 million viewers. Re-live Lisa's shocking confession below:

Lucy Benjamin last surfaced in Albert Square seven years ago, so a possible surprise comeback is bound to get soap fans talking.

We'll all find out if Lisa makes her surprise return when EastEnders continues on Friday (July 21) at 8pm on BBC One.

Digital Spy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (21-07-2017), parkerman (21-07-2017)

There she is .. wonder how long she is staying for ..

I read she was filming a few weeks so not a permanent return .. yet
    Last edited by Perdita; 21-07-2017 at 21:58.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

kaz21 (21-07-2017)

EastEnders has delved into its rich history once again by bringing back Lucy Benjamin as Lisa Fowler in Friday night's big cliffhanger.

Lisa has rushed to support her daughter Louise at the hospital after the teenager was pushed onto some lit candles in a horrific incident at the Walford High school prom.

Here, Lucy reveals all the gossip on her EastEnders comeback and what's in store for Lisa during this guest stint.

How did your return to the show come about?

"My agent was approached by EastEnders and he hit me with the fact they were talking about me possibly coming back. It was all very vague, he didn't know for how long or for how many episodes. It was just putting the feelers out about how I would feel coming back.

"Then Liza Mellody in the storyline team called me personally and she really sold it to me. She explained the journey that Lisa would have in the amount of episodes I would be doing. She made it too good an offer to refuse. As soon as I spoke to her I said 'okay, I'll do it' and she was thrilled and then wrote it all up for me."

When did you find out?

"It was quite a while before. It was a good couple of months before I started filming. At first I wasn't too sure, because it is a chapter that was closed and it wasn't something I'd thought about. I didn't know how I felt about it, and with having kids too, I didn't know the length of time I was going to be back for.

"But once I knew how fabulous the storyline was, I was thrilled. I was really pleased and thought it was absolutely worth coming back for."

What's it been like keeping the secret of your return?

"Every time I'm involved with EastEnders, I always get these big, massive storylines I have to keep a secret, it's not fair! (Laughs.) I'm used to it because of the 'Who Shot Phil?' stuff, which was a massive secret. I just thought: 'Okay, here we go again, I have to keep this a secret'.

"It's been tough because people ask you what you're up to and you can't say anything. I'm pleased though, because when things are kept a secret, it always pays off. The viewers are pleased when it's a surprise. I hope it has a great impact."

Did you tell anyone?

"Oh, I told my mum. I told her about 'Who Shot Phil?' at the time too, she's very good at keeping secrets. I obviously told my husband too because I had to let him know where I was going."

How did everyone manage to keep it a secret for so long?

"It was all very cloak and dagger! I came in through a different entrance and had to wear big sunglasses! (Laughs.) When I got the scripts my character name was 'Sam'. It was funny because when I arrived at work, some of the cast members were just like: 'Oh, it's you!'. So it was all a bit confusing.

"We also had the monitors, which relay whatever is being filmed on the different sets, turned off. So whenever I was filming they'd just go blank. You'd never see what was being filmed.

"So as much as people might have seen me arrive, the cast members or people who work there wouldn't see what I was actually doing on the studio floor. So the content of what I was filming was also a secret. So I think that's how we've managed to keep it all a big secret."

What was your first day back on set like?

"It's been 14 years! Well, I did one episode where I had a couple of scenes with Barbara [Windsor, in 2010]. It was all to do with Louise when she was a little girl. And actually when I did that one episode I didn't come back to the studios, I was on location. So I don't really count that.

"To be honest I was a little apprehensive, it's just like the first day at a new job, really. But within 20 minutes of being there, it was like I had never been away.

"Ange was still on the front desk, Tish turned up, Nat walked in, and Dean Gaffney was there, as was Steve. So it was really lovely. Only little things had changed, like where the tea bar is and the layout of a few things. But the machine that it is, is still the same. It's still as slick as anything and churning out so much great material.

"So I was slightly apprehensive but obviously my feet didn't really hit the ground from the moment I got back, so I just had to put all of that aside and get on with the job in hand."

What did you miss the most?

"Coming back reminded me how much I loved the workload. As much as it's hard, I love the craft so much and working to that extent. It was great to get my teeth back into doing what I do, really. And then seeing my old friends was charming.

"It's hard to stay in touch because that's what actors are like, you move on to the next job, but it was lovely to revisit friends. I said to Tish 'we must stay in touch' because you realise you have missed these people. You don't realise you miss it, but when you get back into it, you realise you miss that pace of work and doing so much stuff, doing your craft."

What was it like to work with Steve, Letitia and the others again?

"It was like being with old friends. I was with people who really had my back, knowing that I had a tough storyline to do. It was fabulous having the support of a great team, and a good bunch of actors that are just up to speed.

"They know what they're doing and can support you so much. Then in between takes, you will get Tish cracking all the jokes, she's just fabulous to be around. I had a really, really lovely time and it was great to be with them all. Both in-between scenes and working on the floor with them. There was lots of reminiscing, lots of giggles. It was sweet."

How was it working with Tilly Keeper?

"Tilly is marvellous. She's so professional. She's so slick. For somebody so young she's so on top of her game. So it made my stuff a lot easier. She seems to know her craft and know what she's doing. We had a really lovely connection and we worked really well together. We did a lot of stuff together and I can't wait to see it all. She's top of her game, she's amazing."

Have you met her before?

"No I've never met her. I have watched on her on screen so saw that she was very pretty and very good, but no I hadn't met her before turning up on set."

How did you react when you read those first scripts?

"I was thrilled actually. I text Liza as soon as I got them. Although then I went straight into feeling that sense of responsibility about doing the storyline justice. I had to think about how I was going to play it all in quite a short space of time. I was still really excited, but I wanted to do a really good job."

Did you ever think you'd make a return?

"No, you just kind of close that chapter. You don't live your life thinking 'I wonder if'. When I'm out shopping people come up and say 'oh, Louise is having a terrible time, Lisa should be back', and I just went 'oh that's very sweet' but didn't that anything more of it. So no, I hadn't really thought about it."

Have you been watching the show still?

"Yes, on and off. My kids are very young still and that's bathtime and bedtime, but if it's on I always sit and watch it, then I'm gripped. There's always that danger of getting hooked into it and then I'd just be watching it all the time! Knowing I was coming back, I'd been watching it more and more. Seeing who was who, what was going on and putting names to faces. It's great, I love it."

Do people still ask you about Lisa and 'Who Shot Phil?'

"Yes! I'm quite surprised really considering how long it's been since my character's been heavily involved in the show. People still say 'hi, Lisa' which I find quite surprising, but also very complimentary. It's very sweet that people still do that. I think it's linked with the stuff that's going on now too with Louise. It brings Lisa back to the forefront of people's minds."

'Who Shot Phil?' is one of the show's most iconic storylines. How does that feel?

"I'm so proud of being involved in that storyline. It was a really good time on the show. It was fabulous writing. It was a culmination of things, it was a slow burn and a real 'whodunnit?' and it paid off on every level. It was a real team thing, keeping it a secret, and publicity did an amazing job. I'm just really proud of that whole time and being part of that storyline."

What was it like stepping onto the Square again?

"The Square's revamped, it's a bit more glamourous. It was lovely to do a couple of little scenes out there. It was great seeing all the supporting artists because Lisa started out on the market as the inspector. It was so lovely. I was glad I got to do it and wasn't just in the studios. It was nice to be back for old time's sake."

Can you tease what viewers have in store for the next couple of weeks?

"There's lots of drama, there's lots of twists and turns you don't see coming. I think there's lots of history and you'll see a lot of old Lisa being played out. You'll see that character there ready to come out and do some stuff the viewers recognise from before.

"It's good-old kitchen sink drama with the relationships people love. There's some great stuff with Phil and Lisa, and Lisa and Sharon. There's beautiful stuff with Sonia and Lisa. It's reminiscent of historical stuff, which is great."

Digital Spy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (26-07-2017)

lucy and steve dated wonder do they still even talk some scenes may be awkward then

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    lucy and steve dated wonder do they still even talk some scenes may be awkward then
    Was quite a volatile relationship, apparently .. yes, could be awkward

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    They fell out due to the phone hacking scandal—they were in a relationship and, because secrets were being leaked to the press which only the two of them knew, they suspected one another of being responsible for the leaks. It all came out when Steve McFadden gave evidence during the court case a few years ago. I think they've made their peace now they know the truth of what happened.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

parkerman (25-07-2017), Perdita (25-07-2017), tammyy2j (26-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    On screen volatile too I hope Phil does not scare her away

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (26-07-2017)

EastEnders appears to be planning a new mental health storyline for Lisa Fowler after a sad scene in tonight's episode (July 27) suggested all is not as it seems.

Lisa has returned to Walford to support her daughter Louise, who is facing life-changing injuries after a horror incident at the school prom.

Unsurprisingly, Lisa didn't receive the warmest of welcomes from the Mitchells given that she's played no part in Louise's life for well over a year.

But defying Phil's orders to stay away, Lisa stood her ground in Thursday's scenes – adamant that she won't be kept away from her daughter this time.

Insisting that she's a changed woman, Lisa promised Phil and Sharon that she's in a good position to rebuild her relationship with Louise – even claiming that she's got a stable job and a flat.

However, a later scene revealed a very different story as Lisa attended an appointment with a therapist and told a pack of lies about her time with Louise.

After the doctor addressed concerns about her lack of contact, Lisa said: "There's no need, I couldn't have had a better few days. I've been with my daughter, had the best time ever. Shopping, eating, just walking around. It's been amazing. I can't wait to see her again."

We've seen in the past how Phil can be a trigger where Lisa's mental health is concerned and it sadly looks like history could be repeating itself again.

Speaking about the latest twist in the storyline, Lucy Benjamin – who plays Lisa – said: "There's always a worry that Phil triggers episodes of things going wrong for her.

"He's someone she shouldn't be around on any level. So she's wary of being back near him and what he's capable of doing. She knows the type of man that he is. I think she's very wary and that's probably put her off from coming back until now. But now she knows she has to deal with it."

Lucy added: "I don't think she's ever really truly dealt with him initially taking her child away from her. I think that's caused all of the problems going on in her life.

"The fact he got her into a state where she handed that child over. She did it, not freely, but she allowed herself to hand Louise as a baby over to Phil. I think she blames him for that and has never really dealt with it. It's very much why Lisa is the way she is today."

EastEnders continues tomorrow (July 28) at 8pm on BBC One.

Digital Spy

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (29-07-2017), Glen1 (01-08-2017), Rear window (28-07-2017)

you would think sonia who is or was in healthcare would see something wrong with lisa and how did she get louise out in a taxi

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (01-08-2017), parkerman (01-08-2017), Rear window (01-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    you would think sonia who is or was in healthcare would see something wrong with lisa and how did she get louise out in a taxi
    Wheelchair?

Thread Information