Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Public want smoking age raised.

i dont think this will stop teenage smokers, what we have to remember is that its illegal for persons under 16 to buy cigarettes but anyone of any age can smoke them. The law needs to change to make it illegal for teenagers to actually smoke

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    im sorry but personally i think that no matter what age the legal age is kids are still going to smoke, if they want to smoke they will - they dont care what the legal age is - who cares if it makes it harder to buy them, they will only get someone else to get them.
    You took the words right out of my mouth...

No age limit is going to make a difference..

Its a great idea but like many of you said with drinking, the age doesnt really stop young people doing it. Hopefully it will stop some though, Ive always wondered why they made it 16 in the first place its a stupid age.

I'm all for an age increase but until its enforced and made illegal then I'm afraid its just words.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    im sorry but personally i think that no matter what age the legal age is kids are still going to smoke, if they want to smoke they will - they dont care what the legal age is - who cares if it makes it harder to buy them, they will only get someone else to get them.
    I agree, They will do anything to get hands on the fags! So many times i used to get asked ot go in the shop and buy me some fags omn way to work! They always got a no from me but so many others used to go in and buy.

As a non-smoker I don't know what it's like to crave for a cigarette but I do support the majority in beleiving that raising the age limit is not going to do much to stop young people from smoking, as they will always find someone to buy them for them. Maybe now with a smoking ban in public places up in Scotland and one to be enforced this year south of the border may reduce the numbers of young pople smoking.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

They should have done this ages ago. The way they go on about it it's as if smoking causes more harm than alcohol, but there can't be that much difference in the number of people that take them, because they're both legal drugs. They just sat around leaving the age limit higher than the tobacco one, but at the very least they should have reversed them by now.

if it makes it even a bit harder for teenagers to buy cigarettes then it is worth it. better than doing nothing at all.
    POOKIE

Quote Originally Posted by pookie1968uk View Post
    if it makes it even a bit harder for teenagers to buy cigarettes then it is worth it. better than doing nothing at all.
    I agree totally with what you have written......at least the gov are being a little pro active. Its the enforcement of it though that will be the big problem.....like the ban of smoking in pubs this year, but its a start in the right direction.

Thanking the fabulous TAbbie, for the banner!

It's a good idea, tonnes of Y11 can buy them, loads of teen will still smoke but at least it's saving a few of them from the possible dieseses.

Thread Information