Thread: Tarrant is back with Tiswas

Tarrant is back with Tiswas

MADCAP kids’ show Tiswas is returning — with original host Chris Tarrant.

ITV’s 90-minute special was inspired by the BBC’s plan to bring back Swap Shop.

Chris, 60, will be joined by members of the original 1970s line-up including Sally James, Lenny Henry and Bob Carolgees with Spit the Dog.

There will be new chaotic sketches plus old footage of classic moments such as newsreader Trevor MacDonald’s famous “gunging”. Sir Trevor is expected to appear for a repeat performance.

Pop favourites including Status Quo, Madness and Sir Paul McCartney will make guest appearances.

But producers face an uphill battle for some clips as 350 master tapes were destroyed after a TV boss claimed the show was “an insult to broadcasting”.

Chris, who is co-producing the programme, is sorting through his private tape collection to see what he can find. He said yesterday: “I can’t believe how young and beautiful we all looked. It’s amazing Tiswas was a kids’ show — it certainly became a cult adults’ show.”

Tiswas was a hit from 1974 with its outrageous behaviour and frequent custard pie scraps. But it was axed after Chris left in 1982 to work on a late-night show.

Source The Sun 23.11.06
    Last edited by Mr Humphries; 23-11-2006 at 10:23.

I was a huge tiswas fan when it was on. It was so un PC and a lot more fun to watch than swap shop. They used to have a cage where they had teachers locked in it and they used to throw buckets of water at them. As well as custard pies and gunge. It was utter nonsence but great to watch on a Saturday morning.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

i didnt like tiswas but i liked swapshop!
    cant understand why they want to bring it back though

my mum, auntie and uncle go on so much about tiswas and swapshop lol!
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

Thread Information