Glynis Barber of Dempsey and Makepeace fame, is to take her detective skills to Emmerdale.

The 51-year-old actress, who played Harriet Makepeace for 30 episodes of the British and American co-written detective drama, has landed the role of DCI Grace Barraclough who will investigate the murder of Tom King (Ken Farrington) at Christmas.

Of her new role, Glynis said: "I’m thrilled with the role I have on Emmerdale. It’s been 20 years since I last played a detective, although this one is the boss. She’s the head of her team, a strong, no-nonsense career woman. I shall thoroughly enjoy playing the part."

Series producer Kathleen Beedles added: "We are delighted to welcome Glynis to the show. Her acting background, most famously in cracking crime, brings enormous gravitas to the role. Viewers will be gripped as she looks to solve one of Emmerdale’s biggest murder hunts."

Glynis' previous television roles have included Family Affairs, Doctors, Murphy's Law and Trial and Retribution.

DCI Barraclough will first appear in the Dales on Boxing Day alongside her CID colleague Detective Vikesh Dasari, played by Stephen Rahman Hughes