Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/11 5 years on

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    Quote Originally Posted by di marco
    when we were in new york we went to the site of the world trade centre to pay our respects, it really is quite upsetting going there and seeing the site knowing what used to be there. also they have pictures and messages from kids whos relatives died that day, they made me cry

the only thing that really annoyed me though was the fact that the majority of people were there to pay their respects and remember the victims but a few people seemed to not be showing any respect at all by either trying to promote their businesses (there were 2 or 3 different people there trying to hand out flyers for their restaurants) which i think is appauling!

i agree with both ems and alan that people should never forgot those that died, and its sad to say it but i think that quite a few people already have. i dont know whether they will have a 1 or 2 minute silence on the 11th as its been 5 years and if they do i know ill be taking part in it, however i know a lot of people who wont, like my old school for instance, they never take part in the silence for remembrance day so i wont be surprised if they ignore this one too. it makes me really angry that people can just forget all these victims that lost their lives, and they cant even take 1 or 2 minutes out of their lives to remember them!
    sorry about the rant
    Don't apologise Di M - its true. So many people can't be bothered. It seems the same with Remembrance Day - people are far less likely stay silent and remember those that fell in the Great War and WW2 these days too.

When I was there the first time, it was so silent, so surreal. Standing by the steel girders that had stayed in the shape of a cross with the firemans jacket hung on it was very moving and the majority of people would just stand staring at the empty space that was there. We were amazed at the buildings around the site that were relative undamaged. A lot of them in shrouds being repaired, but most of them in tact!

I hope memorials aren't just kept to New York though - yes the majority of people lost their lives there, but others lost their lives at the other sites so they too should have a memorial/tribute.

It is my daughters bday on 9/11. I have tried to explain to her what happened on the day she was born as she sees it all over the news on the day and so many people have given me books/videos on 9/11 for her for when she gets bigger.

Every year on her Bday, I watch the 9/11 one year on video made by the French cameramen.. I don't forget what happened and my daughter won't forget either. it was a historic day for her to be born on
    Super Mod

We went to New York with the school in 2005 and we went to see Ground Zero but we wasnt there long because teachers wanted to go off in Centry 21 to do their shopping, i do remember them building something on the site though, looked like flats or offices. When the teachers went off alot of us stayed and talked about where we was on that day so at least we had our pirorities right. We spent about 2 hours around that area (teachers and shops is a nightmare combination) me and the girls i was with went shooping for a bit but spent most of the time sitting by the gates of Ground Zero talking about it with a few other lads.

Although it seems to be forgotten a bit i think alot of people still remember it, i think its going to be with alot of people for a very long time and alot of people will probably tell kids about it so it carries on being remembered
    Last edited by Xx-Vicky-xX; 06-09-2006 at 13:42.

Sig dedicated to Charley

I watch the 9/11 millionaire widows last night, it was shocking how greedy some people are.. one woman was a relationship with another woman who died in 911. Obviously they were not married so the brother claimed the compensation and told her that she could have some of it if she says she was not in a gay relationship with his sister

Another woman, her boyfriend was a police man, and they had a 3 month old baby at the time. His mother told the compensation board that he had no intention of marrying the girl and got all the money for herself.. How can people do that???

I am going to watch the other documentary tonight and next week on C4 is a program called 9/11 liars.. saw a clip, some guy crying saying he lost his wife and the interviewer says "I interviewed her last week"
    Super Mod

I think there is a 9/11 pogramme on BBC1 tonight, what side you been watching them other ones on Siobhan??

Sig dedicated to Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Vixie-Lou
    I think there is a 9/11 pogramme on BBC1 tonight, what side you been watching them other ones on Siobhan??
    yeh im going to watch the one tonight, the others have been on channel 4, i watched the staiway B one this morning cos i was out on monday, i cant believe they managed to survive when the whole building fell on top of them!
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

Quote Originally Posted by Vixie-Lou
    Channel 4 is shown a lot this week and next. I will be watch the one on bbc tonight too
    Super Mod

Ive been looking in the TV mag but can never find programmes about it, i only know about the BBC one because it was on an advert after something i was watching lastnight.

Sig dedicated to Charley

that documentary on BBC last night was amazing. Real life storys of the people who survived.. some on the actuall floors the plane hit. It was probably one of the most compelling and moving documentaries I have seen on this
    Super Mod

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan
    that documentary on BBC last night was amazing. Real life storys of the people who survived.. some on the actuall floors the plane hit. It was probably one of the most compelling and moving documentaries I have seen on this
    I agree Siobhan - compelling viewing, done very well. Even the guy, Victor, who couldn't go on and Harry who stayed with him and then they both perished, the one who got out, but felt like a coward because he didn't stay with them both or try and get them out. And then the firefighters that, had they been on one floor higher or lower, when the buildings had collapsed, they would have perished, but just through stopping to help the woman (Veronica), it slowed their descent enough that they were on the right floor at the right time and survived. The Engineer (Frank) and the other guy that was with him that helped save 50 peoples lives, but perished themselves. It showed true courage and character in these people and those that have come through it and survived.

Thread Information