Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC defends EastEnders sex scene

BBC defends EastEnders sex scene

The BBC has defended scenes of sex and violence in recent EastEnders episodes after more than 250 people complained.
    Viewers questioned whether a passionate encounter between characters Carly Wicks and Jake Moon was suitable for broadcast before the watershed.

A scene of domestic violence, in which the character of Denise Fox lost a tooth, also drew complaints.

The BBC said the scenes were "within acceptable limits" and kept to the corporation's editorial guidelines.

The portrayal of domestic violence was part of a long-running storyline featuring actors Diane Parish and Lee Ross - as Denise Fox and Owen Turner respectively.

'Distressing'

The violent scene was the culmination of a long-running storyline
    In the scene, Fox stabbed Turner with a fork after he accosted her in her house.

Turner was then seen dragging Fox up the stairs by her hair. He hit her and she lost a tooth.

The BBC said it had received 128 complaints about the 4 August scene.

Eastenders' executive producer, Kate Harwood, acknowledged that some viewers would have found the scenes disturbing.

But she added: "in tackling the issue of domestic violence, it was important to reflect realistically the sort of violence suffered by the victims in these sorts of situations, rather than to put a gloss on it.

"We therefore took great care to signal the nature of the episode's content in advance."

'Explicit'

The storyline shows the consequences of relationships which are not based on genuine emotion

Kate Harwood
    Executive producer, EastEnders
    The sex scene, broadcast on 1 August, showed actors Kellie Shirley and Joel Beckett ripping off each other's clothes and having sex on the floor of a nightclub.

Some 129 people contacted the BBC to complain about the explicit nature of the scene.

Ms Harwood again apologised for causing distress, but argued that "any sexual activity was implied rather than explicit".

"The intention of the scene was to indicate the passion of a couple being carried away by the moment," she continued.

"Moreover, the storyline shows the consequences of relationships which are not based on genuine emotion."

Both episodes were seen by about eight million people when they were first broadcast on BBC One last week.

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    I didn't find any problem with them. It was like Little Mo's rape scene though - lots of people phoned to complain, but in fact, you didn't actually see anything happen - it was the suggestion of what was going to happen and the same was with this. Its not the tv screen it comes out of, its the mind it goes into

i had no problem with it, i told my mum about it and she was like boring farts! lol Soaps cant be all working in the market all the time, passionate encounters are needed! As for Domestic abuse, its realistic as it happens to a lot of people around the UK!

I thought the domestic viklonce bit was really well handled nothing to major you didnt see her get stamped on just the scream so it was just enough to get the effect that was needed.

There was nothing wrong with the sex scene between Jake/Carly to me it showed the continuation of excitement and adrenaline rush after a fight with follow up repetions due to the fact that they found the passionate sex between them exciting and they wanted more of one another. At the end of the day they weren't doing any harm,it was no ones business but there own.

With regards to the domestic violence, you see much worse violence in cartoons these days. It was realistic and showed how a strong person such as Denise can also be a victim of domestic violence. It showed the abuser as an emotional wreck who took all his frustrations and failings out on his lover. Also it showed the abuser taking a battering from other sources and his daughter finally seeing him for who and what he is. It showed us that they don't always have the upper hand and are weak. It highlighted the consequences of both the abuser and abused.

A Very Sexy and Brilliant Actor

Quote Originally Posted by cornetgal
    I thought the domestic viklonce bit was really well handled nothing to major you didnt see her get stamped on just the scream so it was just enough to get the effect that was needed.
    Exactly Katy, perfectly put.

I'm sorry but these people who sit at home writing endless complaints to tv shows really need to get a life.
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

Do all these people have nothing better to do with their time?
    The Vilolent scene's were realistically played, there no point doing it half heartedly, as this would be right.
    The sexual scene was also quite good it showed how easily two people can get carried away in the moment. It even showed the responsiblity of safe sex too, which was good.

I personally don't see the Fuss about it. I think Kate Explained well. I mean i agree with Kate that is was important to reflect Realistically the Violence sufferers suffer, rather than put a Gloss on it. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie Wallace
    It even showed the responsiblity of safe sex too, which was good.
    I'd forgotten about that. I thought that was very well thought out and well done, the getting of the condom out of the wallet. It showed that even though things were very passionate and spontaneous consideration and thought was still given towards safe sex. That is something you very rarely see in programmes.

A Very Sexy and Brilliant Actor

I totally agree, the scenes were fine. I was very impressed with the way the handled the violence scenes, it was as realistic as I had hoped, and very well acted in my opinion.

Thread Information