Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Learner Drivers Thread

CD Roms? Blimey, times have changed since I took my driving test. There was no practical or theoretical tests, just driving!

I passed my test in 1979, although I'd been driving a lot longer than that. It's a long story.

For me, driving is out of necessity and definitely not pleasure as there are so many fools on the road these days, but the only advice I can give is that you stick within the speed limits (lower if necessary) and constantly watch out for traffic light changes, zebra crossings, children and all the obvious things - and definitely no using a mobile phone unless it's hands free, and I don't agree with those either, but se la vie!

Best of luck to anyone learning, or about to take their tests.

I've come to the conclusion that I HAVE to pass my test within the next year. I simply cannot get a decent job and a place to live and commute on public transport. It just wouldn't work. My theory has lapsed and I haven't driven in over two years so I'll probably have to start almost from the beginning again.
    Thanks CrazyLea

That's so annoying about the theory. I think the two year limit is just a way to keep the money rolling in. I'm sure there are plenty of people that have passed that have forgotten more than learners who took the theory over two years ago. I didn't take the new theory with case studies in myself but my friends that have seemed to think that it was easier to just answer the question and ignore the case study. Good luck

I am debating getting a 4th () instructor and doing pass plus as the instructor that got me through my test doesn't do it

Okay - so I just received the kick up that backside i needed to book driving lessons! I've had my provisional since i turned 17 in January and only been out in the car once :L but I joined a group on facebook for a local driving school and a month or so ago he had a competition - just drop your name and number in an email and you could win 5 free lessons. Well, I didn't win the 5 but he said I got picked third so won 2. The only reason I haven't booked any yet is because they're so damn expensive! £20 an hour is the cheapest I've found so far - and on a part time job with a wage of 3.70 an hour; im only pulling in about £230 a month and have other things to pay for; not to mention a Vegas holiday to pay for! So never got round to booking any. Anyways! ramble over - I've finally got the ball rolling - gonna get quite a decent wage in Sept as im working just over 100 hours this month insted of around 60 (even tho im only contracted for 10 hours a week..) Ssooo decided that after the two free, I shall book a block of a few lessons.

However! I am - to put in nicely - crapping myself! I went out last week in our little Clio (eBay bargain run about haha) and for love nor money could not get a decent biting point to set off! I kept making it like jump forward. It was my first time ever driving but I'm just convincing myself I'll never get the hang of it. I can change gear whilst like on the move but setting off is a no go.
    So basically; I was just wondering if anyone had any tips? Or did any of you have the same trouble at all?
    thankssss
    Last edited by Hollie-x; 06-08-2010 at 19:22.
    •♥Celine: Through The Eyes Of The World - 02/18/2010♥•
    BlackBerry Pin: 21F35441

Relax, there's no rush when you're setting off. Your instructor will take you around the quiet areas of your town to begin with so don't panic that you're going to crash.

The car will have duel controls so the instructor can help you get to the biting point if that's what you're having trouble with.

Each car is different though so just because you're having trouble with your car, doesn't mean it will be the same in the instructors car.
    Thanks CrazyLea

My are £20 a lesson as well

If you're finding it a struggle to pay for the lessons, wait until you get some more experience and see if you can find a driving instructor that will take you out in your own car. The instructor I passed with was the best I had and £15 an hour in my car. Good luck. If I can pass anyone can, I was beginning to think I never would.

How many lessons did everyone have?

I had about a years' worth and failed both of my tests. The first time I deserved to fail but I should have passed second time. I got a serious for doing a turn in the road in five when I apparently could have done it in 3. As my instructor wasn't in the back, I couldn't contend the examiner's decision so I failed. I had about six minors so I would have passed had it not been for a stupid examiner.

Some examiners are b*******, they just fail people for no real reason at all. My sister did her test at the same place and the same happened to her four times before she passed.

I can't afford to do my test again at the moment but hopefully one day I will pass
    Thanks CrazyLea

I had 2 hours a week for a year and a quarter plus hours upon hours of private practice. It didn't come naturally to me at all. I had 3 instructors as well and 4 different cars.

Thread Information