Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post

Also what alcoholic beverages can diabetics drink please?
    light lagers probably
    I think light ligers contain more sugar that standard lager

Found this:

Acceptable in moderation: - Red wines, Dry or medium-dry white wines. - Dry sherries. Dry light beers (lagers, light ales fermented with low residual sugar). Spirits (whiskey, gin, vodka, etc) with "diet" mixers.

Use with extreme caution due to high sugar content: Sweet wines or sherries. Ports. Heavy or dark sweetened beers (stout, porters, etc which have high residual sugar). Wine coolers. Spirits with normal mixers. Cocktails. Liqueurs. Use with extreme caution due to very high alcohol concentration: - Neat (undiluted) spirits.

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/diabetes/fa...#ixzz0V8v8ul6p

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannelene View Post
    I am a size 6-8 in clothes and I am a type 2 diabetic and have been for the last 5 yrs so I am not fat or overweight for my height but I still managed to become a diabetic. I take just one tablet in the evening of a combination pill called- Pioglitazone and Metformin. Which works a treat as I was taking just ordinary metformin when I was first diagnosed but this had no effect on my blood sugar reading - I have no history of this in my family and check my sugar levels twice a day plus watching what I eat....
    Thats interesting about the combination pill. im currently on metformin 4 times a day and it makes me feel really bad. Docs have told me i just need to put up with it....might have to bring this up and my next clinic appointment.

Im slightly overweight and apparently the metformin can help bring your weight down but think it may have the oposite affect on me. Have read somewhere its all to do with the time you take it at having the best effect...does anyone know if this is true?
    I listed the name of the pill I take and it works for me as I was on metformin 3 times a day previously and used to suffer lows and felt giddy and sick
    My weight even went up even with me following a diet. One thing I was advised was being a diabetic it is harder to lose weight. Out metabolism is supposed to slow down completely thats why were advised to exercise and keep active. I used to take my old metformin pills one after breakfast, another at lunch and one for dinner made some difference to my sugar readings but not a lot. My new meds are better and I seem to pass more water then before plus the feeling of sickness went too.

Bring up all your concerns in your next review or appointment. I found also what made a difference was finding a doctor who would listen to me as that has proved so helpful!

got diagnosed recently as diabetic, any advice and tips greatly needed please

i need to lose a good amount of weight and i stress eat when depressed

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (20-09-2016)

got diagnosed recently as diabetic, any advice and tips greatly needed please

i need to lose a good amount of weight and i stress eat when depressed
    Could you perhaps ask your doctor for counselling or CBT to help manage your stress and eating? The trouble is that doctors don't tend to take comfort eating seriously, so if you approach him/her make sure you're clear it's a serious problem and a hindrance to controlling your diabetes.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

lizann (20-09-2016), Perdita (20-09-2016), tammyy2j (20-09-2016)

Isle of Widget.. well used to be more Southampton ish for now
    Cognitive behaviour therapy is really helping me atm, I did the course way back when for people with anxiety issues, but CBT is used for lots of issues as it involves a process of setting begets and writing down how it made you feel, then you repeat that target to reinforce it then gradually in crease the target, theres a whole circulaur thought process they teach which with a bit of will power really works.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Splashy For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (20-09-2016), lizann (19-10-2016), Perdita (20-09-2016)

My daughter is having a gastric bypass soon. She is 24. It will put her diabetes in remission so that's why we are doing it. She wants to do it and it's the way they will tackle diabetes in the future. She has been overweight since she was 4 years old. She got ill from abroad and they said she would pile on weight when she recovered. A bypass is not an easy option. The operation will happen in the coming months. When we went to the briefing they say lots of people have bad eating habits and they work with you to address those. My daughter went on a healthy eating course run by psychologists a few years back. It ran for 12 weeks. She did not change her eating patterns!
    I was diagnosed recently and went to a diabetic education session recently. I cannot find exercise I like yet. I've been running, cycling. I think swimming is boring.
    I have been losing weight because of the metformin though. I think a lot of us comfort eat. That's normal. The education session said we can eat as normal but less it best . Obviously brown bread etc better it's just watching your carbs which turn to sugar. A handful of rice rather than a large portion. You can have sweet treats now and then. When they diagnosed me I was upset for two weeks and did not want to eat. Everything tasted horrible to me. I still do not really enjoy food. Someone else on the course felt the same. That is normal at the beginning they say.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

lizann (19-10-2016), Splashy (09-10-2016)

i am on metformin now but getting bad headaches and eye pain and blurred vision

i am on metformin now but getting bad headaches and eye pain and blurred vision
    I suppose these are side effects, have you discussed those with your doctor? You might need a different medication.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I suppose these are side effects, have you discussed those with your doctor? You might need a different medication.
    yes i think this part of illness, im a bit of a google internet doc as i hate going real one

might stay on metformin big longer and if still persist then go see real doc

Thread Information