View Poll Results: do you have acanthosis nigricans?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

1 9.09%
  • no

10 90.91%

Thread: acanthosis nigricans

acanthosis nigricans

hello, i was just wondering has anybody else got this skin condition

Im 14 years old and i know i have this conditon i wouldnt say im overweight
    i have read this conditon is due to insulin resistance and is linked with diabetes, and my farther has diabetes .

All the back of my neck and my armpits look like they have never been washed so i am ashamed when i go out, i look at other teenagers and i never see one teenager with this conditon I feel really out of place with this, i have also read there is no cure for this apart from weight loss.

It look like a "dirty neck" and my parents think I dont wash my neck properly
    I havent yet told my parents what it is im thinking about telling them, I just dont want it to turn out to be diabates.

Acanthosis nigricans is a disorder that may begin at any age. It causes velvety, light-brown-to-black, markings usually on the neck, under the arms or in the groin. Acanthosis nigricans is most often associated with being overweight.

Would appreciate it if there is anyone out there with this skin condition to come forward and speak (dont feel embaressed) because i feel like im the only person in the world with this skin condition.
    Last edited by $sTaCeY$; 10-07-2006 at 17:17.

$sTaCeY$

I'd tell your parents about it if I was you. You've got the condition through no fault of your own and if you were to keep it a secret, and then your parents did eventually find out, they'd probably be even more upset that you didn't tell them sooner.

There's no history of it in my family, but my aunt does have diabetes.

Thread Information