View Poll Results: Is 62 too old to become a mother?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 89.80%
  • No

5 10.20%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 62 too old to become a mum?

Is 62 too old to become a mum?

A 62-year-old child psychiatrist has become the oldest woman in Britain to have a baby.
    Patricia Rashbrook of Lewes, East Sussex, and her 6lb 10oz boy, nicknamed JJ, were said to be doing well by her husband John Farrant, 60.

Critics said it was selfish to have a baby at their age, but they said they were confident of meeting his needs.

They travelled to the former Soviet Union to get fertility treatment from Italian doctor Severino Antinori.

'Extremely healthy'

Dr Rashbrook already has three grown-up children - aged 26, 22 and 18 - from her first marriage, but her husband has become a father for the first time.

JJ was conceived through IVF using a donor egg and was the result of the couple's fifth and final attempt at the process, which cost £10,000.

What is important in parenting is not how old you are, but whether you are meeting all the child's needs and we are very confident about doing that

Dr Patricia Rashbrook

Dr Peter Bowens Simkins, clinical director of the Cromwell IVF and Fertility Centre, in Swansea, said he and others in his profession considered the birth unacceptable.

"I don't think that it is a responsible decision on her part and I don't think it is in the best interests of the child to have a mother who, when he or she is taking say GCSEs, the mother is going to be in her late 70s," he said.

"As long as people have the freedom and movement there's nothing one can do to stop that, but in this country I think it's highly unlikely that we'll see it happening for many years."

But Dr Rashbrook told the Daily Mail she felt "it was the right thing to do" and she did not feel too old to have a baby.

She said: "We would not have gone ahead if we'd felt we would not be good enough parents.

"We are both extremely healthy and I have always looked and felt very young, but nevertheless we have younger friends with children who have agreed to act as surrogate parents should anything happen to us.

"What is important in parenting is not how old you are, but whether you are meeting all the child's needs and we are very confident about doing that."

World's oldest mother

Mr Farrant said the couple had received more than 200 letters, cards and e-mails of goodwill from members of the public and only one, unsigned letter that was "negative in tone".

Speaking on the steps of the couple's four-storey townhouse on Saturday he said: "I'm happy, we are happy."

Dressed in shorts, sandals and a T-shirt, he said his wife and JJ had no immediate plans to leave the house.

Dr Rashbrook described the birth as "absolutely wonderful"

"He's had enough excitement in the last couple of days," he said.

The couple said the baby had been nicknamed JJ early in the pregnancy, but were yet to decide what his full name would be.

Dr Rashbrook described her son, who was delivered by Caesarean section at Sussex County Hospital, in Brighton, on Wednesday, as "adorable", adding: "Having been through so much to have him, we are overjoyed.

"His birth was absolutely wonderful and deeply moving for both of us."

The couple said the baby had been nicknamed JJ early on in the pregnancy, but are yet to decide what his full name will be.

Dr Rashbrook is not the first woman in her 60s to become a new mother.

Liz Buttle, from Wales, was 60 years old when she gave birth to a son, Joseph, in 1997.

The oldest woman in the world to give birth is thought to be Adriana Iliescu, from Romania, who had a daughter called Eliza Maria in January last year at the age of 66.
    Last edited by chance; 08-07-2006 at 20:34.

I personally dont think anyone has the right to say no you cant have a child 'you are too old' they obviously knew the risks and what was involved,they are old enough after all to make there own desisions.As long as they pay for there own treatment and mum is healthy i personally dont see the harm in it.I understand some people will see it as selfish as the baby will lose his parents when its still quite young bu then so could anyone,we could go out and get hit by a bus tomorrow.Live for today..

i think when nature has taken its course then that should be it.
    if a 62yr old will be allowed to have a baby then whats to stop a 70yr old? it could go on and on, ridiculous in my opinion!
    POOKIE

In the end I do agree that its up to the parents to be themselves and no one can stop them having a child but I dont really think its right as its a bit mean on the child. They may be fit and healthy now but they will be in their 70's and could start developing health problems etc. Then the chiuld may end up having to look after their parents before they are even adults themselves. PLus is a 70yr old really going to be able to keep up energy wise with an 8 yr old child

I feel for the baby because on top of dealing with the normal problems children face when growing up, that child will have the added worry of a parent dying sooner rather than later, and will have to face the issue of death much sooner than most of his/her peers.

Yes you can get hit by a bus tomorrow, but as someone who lost their mother at a young age I wouldn't want to wish that situation and pain on any child or young adult. A childhood should be a carefree time, and if your mother (like in this case) is in their 60s, then you are going to be living with the real fear of losing that parent when you are young. I think to deliberately put a child in that situation is rather cruel.

In a way i thnik it is too old, but then again, a 62 year old mum would give a child a better life than a twenty something year old drug adict. So, i do't really think we can judge.

hmmm i think its too old because by the time that that child is 16 - the mother will be 78.

my nan isnt even 78 and im 16.

its the equivilant of my nan being my mother - personally i dont think its right.
    im back everyone!!!!!!

should be made illegal it isnt fare on the baby having to lose their parents when they are only what? teenagers

I think it's definatley too old!! Think of the child... when they are 10, the parents are kind of near enough dying... I mean I know some people live quite old, but that's not guaranteed, I think it's incredibly selfush!!

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    I think its extremely selfish - women go through the menopause for a reason (although I think men should have one too )

To have a child at this age, IMO, is purely selfish on the parents part. Apart from the health risks involved in having a child at this age anyway.

Thread Information