Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: emmerdale thrashed easties last night! RATINGS!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Cherryz
    Can I ask if anyone knows how they work out the figures? lol i've always wanted to know.
    There are lots of companies calculating viewing figures - hence different figures for the same shows.
    Here is how the main one does it:

BARB provides in-home TV viewing measurement for the UK. This is obtained from a panel of 5100 homes. These homes return data from around 11,500 viewers. Viewing from visitors to the home is included (Guest Viewing). Viewing figures are available to subscribers the morning after transmission (Live Viewing). VCR playback is incorporated within seven days of transmission (Consolidated Viewing). Audiences are reported on a minute-by-minute basis.
    The panel design is representative of the whole of the UK. People are recruited from all sectors of the population. All viewing environments are represented. Multiple TV sets are measured. BARB measures both analogue and digital delivery via cable, satellite and terrestrial distribution.

Basically, they have a set top box which works out what is on and the veiwers enter the number of people viewing. This is then sent down the phone line each morning. If you think 5100 homes is not representative, MORI Opinion Polls ask around 2000 people.
    Somewhat less than Osiris said, but they have been doing it for years, so they know how to pick a representative sample.
    It is all to do with the confidence interval and correlation coefficients which I have no intention of discussing here.
    Last edited by Mr_Cellophane; 02-03-2005 at 21:43.

And I thought 50,000 people was a small sample.....

Thread Information