Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eastenders To Return To Gritty Roots

Even though they're not killing Nick off this time, they're probably weakening him to the point where he is killed off, which I'm sure will happen within the next 2-3 years.

They could have an Eastender teen soap, stick them all in there.. They have tried replacing the missing group with Dawn/mickey/gus but it doesn't work as they are been persued by a younger crowd who they mix with i.e deano and co
    Super Mod

I think it's a great idea for EE to go back to its gritty roots, i am a teenager but even though the shannis/kalfie stories were good, EE would be even better if it went back to gritty, i am backing the gritty idea all the way. What EE need to do is bring in good actors with good gritty storylines that a range of the audience will enjoy....they need to get the 25-35 age group back as some people have already mentioned, EE are lacking this age group at the moment. Also EE need a good superbitch and a villain we love to hate.....
    Overall, if they do this and go back to its gritty roots, EE will definetly be back on top.

I really wish they would but I don't think they ever will. They had a chance to do something better with the Naomi character but she was just a plot device to split Martin and Sonia up. Totally absurd storyline. When was the last time EE covered a real life issue in a good way. Even the week with Stacey and her mum was pretty rubbish compared to EE of old. I'm sorry to say but I think gritty, more mature EE has gone for good.

I'll believe it when I see it. Personally I think that it is too late and they have shot themselves up the backside.

A Very Sexy and Brilliant Actor

I sometimes wonder that if Brookside hadn't been axed and remained hard-hitting then there would be more of a benchmark for the rest of the soaps to aspire to.

I love the soaps as much as the next person but I agree they have been watered down way too much.

Hollyoaks is still hard-hitting yes, but is that considered mainstream?

I am sorry, i have just waffled a load of rubbish havent I?

No you haven't. You've raised some very good points there. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by doginthepond
    I sometimes wonder that if Brookside hadn't been axed and remained hard-hitting then there would be more of a benchmark for the rest of the soaps to aspire to.

I love the soaps as much as the next person but I agree they have been watered down way too much.

Hollyoaks is still hard-hitting yes, but is that considered mainstream?

I am sorry, i have just waffled a load of rubbish havent I?
    No, you have said some good valid points. If Brookside was still on our screens and as still gritty as it used to be, i am quite confident that EE would have remained gritty and wouldn't have gone through their bad patch in 2003/2004 because EE would have been inspired by Brookie's grittiness and would want to beat them on their storylines and on their ratings so EE would try and do something more grittier than Brookie and then Brookie would then try and do something more grittier than EE and the pattern would go on, so EE would have remained gritty, i hope you get what i mean.

Thread Information