Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Top gear

TOP Gear host Jeremy Clarkson reckons co-stars Richard Hammond and James May WON’T quit — despite their pay row.

Sun columnist Clarkson, 48, said he would PAY to host the hit BBC2 motoring show.

May, 45, and Hammond, 38, want a bumper increase to put them above Clarkson — as he earns extra cash promoting Top Gear around the world, with a version set to launch in the US.

Hammond wants to DOUBLE his money to more than £30,000 an episode.

The pair are both out of contract.

But last night Clarkson said: “They won’t leave. It’s the best job in the world. I’d pay to do it.”

The BBC has offered to bump the duo’s wages up — but refuses to meet their high demands.

They reckon Clarkson and executive producer Andy Wilman do the most work — and claim Clarkson’s extra earnings are “miniscule”.

An insider hit back at the stars last night — warning that Top Gear would suffer if it had to shell out more on wages.

He said: “The BBC offered a good deal but neither of them are pleased.

“They don’t seem to realise the BBC doesn’t have a bottomless pit of cash for Top Gear.

“The reason it’s so good is most of the budget goes on screen. If you start giving all the cash to the hosts the show will suffer.”

The source said it was unlikely the pair would leave as Top Gear made them big stars.

He added: “Who had ever heard of Richard Hammond before Top Gear?”

Jeremy reportedly earns upwards of £2m a year. Richard and James earn £350k a piece. I'd want a pay rise too if I was getting paid substantially less than a collegue. I wonder if the BBC would be coughing up if Richard and James were women wanting pay equality.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Sunday 13th July on BBC 2 from 8:00pm to 9:00pm

Newsreaders Fiona Bruce and Kate Silverton are the Stars in the Reasonably Priced Car, and Jeremy Clarkson tries to prove the Nissan GT-R is faster than the celebrated Bullet Train in a race across Japan with Richard Hammond and James May. Toyota's idea of personal transport for the future is tested out and additional glamour is provided by the Alfa Romeo 8C, which takes to the Top Gear track

Why is there two stars in the car this series?
    Thanks CrazyLea

Because they felt like it?

BBC Two controller Roly Keating has reassured Top Gear fans that all three presenters will stick with the show.

It was recently reported that James May and Richard Hammond could leave the series after failing to agree contract terms.

The pair, whose contracts expire at the end of the month, are said to want pay deals more in line with co-host Jeremy Clarkson, who is rumoured to earn £1 million a year.

However, Keating predicted that all three hosts will stay with the programme, saying: "I'm confident the Top Gear team will be there for autumn - and beyond."
    Peter: So how many are there? Is it bad? Olivia: Did you eat? Peter: Yeah. Olivia: Well, that's unfortunate.

i think it is down to money maybe. having 2 stars in a reasonably priced car takes up a lot more of the show so they dont have to spend it on expensive stunts, trips abroad or whatever. i may not be right but its worth a thought.
    POOKIE

May: Contract row is "all rubbish"

Talk of a Top Gear contract row is "all rubbish", James May has declared.

May and co-presenter Richard Hammond were rumoured to be demanding more money than the BBC was prepared to pay, prompting speculation that they could leave the show.

However, May told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I'm not really sure where it came from, I think it is someone making trouble.

"I have never stormed off over money or contracts. I am paid quite well by Top Gear, I am pretty happy, and I have never seen Richard Hammond storm off either."

May acknowledged that Jeremy Clarkson was paid more and had recently agreed a deal in which he will get a share of international Top Gear-related proceeds from BBC Worldwide.

Joking that he was paid enough to "go for a curry and go to the pub", May said: "We don't talk about it. It is unseemly, unBritish, ungentlemanly."
    Thanks CrazyLea

Tomorrow on BBC 2 from 8:00pm to 9:00pm

In the final programme of the series, Jeremy Clarkson and the team take on their toughest challenge yet - keeping their tongues in check during a meeting with their counterparts from the German equivalent of the show. Plus, James May test drives a quirky Japanese car, and Richard Hammond puts a concept car from Mazda through its paces
    Thanks CrazyLea

well that series seemed to go really quick! i did enjoy it but maybe it wasnt one of the better ones? there were some funny moments but not up to their usual standards.
    POOKIE

I nearly wet myself last Sunday when the three Top Gun sorry Top Gear presenters arrived in WWII spitfires/Hurricanes to take on their German counterparts. What a tremendously funny finale to the season.

Who says the Germans dont have a sense of humour. I doubt the Daily Mail or The Sun would have found it funny had the Germans arrived in Stukas singing Deuchstland Uber Alles or a team from Japan arrived in Zeros dressed as Kamakazies.

Well done to Jeremy, James and Little Richard for a fun filled hour every Sunday evening and just remember if the Beeb arent paying you enough then there are plenty of us out here who whould do your 'job' for nothing!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy Top Gear while it lasts before the Liberal Pinkoes wrap it up in Red Tape and Health and Safety NONSENSE

Last edited by alan45; 01-08-2008 at 12:07.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    Absolutely brilliant and hilarious as normal.

When the one armed soundman lost his arm on the steering wheel whilst trying to steer the double decked cars Totally politically incorrect, but totally hilarious too, by his own admission!!

Anyone else pause it when they noticed Stig's visor opened?? I know I did and the eyes look very familar

Thread Information