Thread: BBC axe 'Byker Grove' after 17 years

BBC axe 'Byker Grove' after 17 years

The BBC has axed Byker Grove after 17 years and 18 series, in a move to concentrate on a younger core audience.

The popular Newcastle-based show will have one last series before disappearing from our screens forever.

"The time has come for us to say a fond farewell to Byker Grove and I would like to thank all the people who have been involved in the show over the years for their valued contribution," said CBBC's controller Richard Deverell. "It has been a great programme for CBBC with some ground breaking storylines over the years."

Since starting in Autumn 1989 the programme has launched the careers of Ant & Dec, Jill Halfpenny, Donna Air and Andrew Hayden-Smith, over the course of its 344 episodes to date.

can't believe they are axing Byker Grove i used to watch it when i was a child but after 17 years maybe it is for the best

At least its not Grange Hill as well.

Its a shame as Byker grove is really good. I still watch it when its on even thoug im nearly 17.

Quote Originally Posted by cornetgal

Its a shame as Byker grove is really good. I still watch it when its on even thoug im nearly 17.
    Well all my favourite characters have left - PJ, Duncan, Ben - so I guess it is best it goes now - it's run it's course according to the beeb anyway. All they're going to do is put a show on about too girls on a farm with ponies or something. (slightly exaggeration of the truth there, but you know what I mean). I doubt they could find anything to replace such a good teatime drama.

I agree that it's at least some good news that Grange Hill is on for another couple of years at least, but that'll probably go as well. It's bad enough when they muck about with adult viewing, but it's really pants when they do it to the youngsters
    Last edited by Emmak2005; 12-05-2006 at 21:30.

Quote Originally Posted by cornetgal

I'm very almost 19 and i still watch it! its really good!
    is that it from now on then or are they finishing it off with a finale series - would be good if they do as after 17 years it deserves a proper finish, plus i really want Dom and Chrissie to get together!!

Hey all, I used to watch this and just realised a girl who was in Waterloo Road was in this too! She was doing a manchester accent though, so I didnt realise it was her! She played Emma in Byker Grove and Leigh-Ann Galloway in Waterloo Road! I googled after someone on here said who she was and I found this site for her www.hollymatthews.net, there is an address for autographs too whooo

Thread Information