Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Duffy (Cathy Shipton)

sounds good, great to have duffy back on our screens. I agree with no1abbafan that it does sound rather similar to er

this sounds like a really good episode - any idea when it will be screned?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Gal 88
    this sounds like a really good episode - any idea when it will be screned?
    It will be screened in September.

ok great - thanks. i look forward to it!!!!

I've been watching casualty since it started. I don't think many people realise it's been on our screens as long as it has. As it's not on every night most people don't view it as a soap. Duffy was a great character in her day and it will be interesting to see how her character has changed over the years.

Casualty's latest trailer is here - and it's filled with lots of presents.

For one, Cathy Shipton is back as Duffy. You can spot her in the trailer - very briefly! - at about the 2.30 mark.

Duffy was previously back last year, but producer Erika Hossington is coming good on her hint to Digital Spy that we better "watch this space!"

The trailer also includes Connie and Jacob's accident, while ex-couple Zoe and Max are seen sharing a kiss.

Watch above for even more shocks and pure Casualty drama.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/casu...nother-return/

Casualty fans have been given a big reason to celebrate today, as viewer favourite Lisa "Duffy" Duffin is returning to the show on a permanent basis.

Cathy Shipton has agreed to make a full-time comeback as the popular character, just in time for the medical drama's 30th anniversary.

Viewers will first see Duffy back in the Emergency Department in the programme's 1,000th episode, which airs on Sunday, June 26.

The episode sees Duffy pop down from the obstetrics and gynaecology department, revealing to Charlie Fairhead that she left her husband and children in New Zealand and is now back working as an agency nurse in Holby.

Duffy will then make her permanent return in August, as she is reunited with the ED team.

Speaking of her big comeback, Shipton revealed: "After returning last year for episodes 1 and 2 of series 30, many asked if Duffy was sticking around long-term and I replied: 'The door is wonderfully wide open!' Well the response was so positive that I've stepped right through and am thrilled to be back on the show.

"The future looks very exciting for Duffy both professionally and personally, and I am equally excited to be working with such a talented and creative team of actors, writers, directors and producers."

Casualty's executive producer Oliver Kent added: "All of us at Casualty are incredibly excited that the fabulous Cathy Shipton has agreed to bring Duffy back to the Emergency Department.

"We know that our viewers loved her brief return last year and now it's completely thrilling to have her with us full-time. The dream team of Charlie and Duffy are back together again. Long live Chuffy."

Duffy is one of Casualty's original characters, having first appeared in episode one way back in 1986.

Casualty celebrates its 30th anniversary in August.

As Casualty celebrates its 30th anniversary with a feature-length special this week, it's only fitting that original character Lisa 'Duffy' Duffin is right at the heart of the action alongside Charlie Fairhead.

Duffy is keen to help Charlie (Derek Thompson) celebrate 30 years at Holby in style as his surprise party looms, but when a huge stunt rocks the hospital, Charlie will need his old friend by his side to help him deal with much more serious matters.

We recently caught up with Cathy Shipton, who plays Duffy, to hear more about the action-packed episode.

How do you feel about Casualty reaching this milestone?

"I'm flabbergasted that the show is still here after 30 years. As an actor, usually you start a job and then you're just off to the next one. Whether they call this 'continuing drama' now, or a 'soap drama', Casualty is a serious piece of dramatic endeavour. So I'm quite surprised that it's lasted so long but wonderfully so.

"We did have a hiccup after the second series because it was all axed for being a bit too political, but then it was reinstated."

What can you tell us about Duffy's involvement in the 30th anniversary episode?

"The focus of the episode, forgetting the dramatic turn of events, is that it's to celebrate Charlie's 30 years in nursing. So that's what Duffy has turned up to do. She also has her own story going on, which is slightly complicated, as to why she's not in New Zealand.

"Throughout the episode, people from Charlie's past are either coming up in person or in video messages to wish him well. So it is the happiest day and the darkest hour, because there's a spin in it. It doesn't quite work out as they all planned."

What was it like to work with Ian Bleasdale, who plays Josh, again?

"Well, what's funny is that down the road from the Casualty studio is The Doctor Who Experience. When myself, Ian and Derek walked in that first day and we were doing a scene together as the three of us, it was like we were the Time Lords!

"For us, when the three of us are together, it's absolutely normal because we've kept in touch anyway - whether I've been in the show or not. So we're just going along and living our lives, but everybody else's reaction is: 'Oh my God, look who's here!' You think: 'It's just us!' You forget the impact that it has on other people - they start acting slightly funny."

Was it easy to get back into the rhythm of working together?

"What surprised me was how quickly we moved back into our short-hand together. That happened within minutes. When you work as fast as we do at Casualty, you just have to rely on your instincts and the history you've built up with each other.

"We haven't seen each other as our characters for ages, but when you put the frock on, it's like ghosts walking in you. You do a 'Duffy thing' not a 'Cathy thing'. It's strange!

"I also remember watching Ian and how he handled the trolley. All the cast who didn't know him were asking: 'How has he learned to do that? It took me ages to do that!' Cut him in half and he's Casualty through and through."

You mentioned Casualty being seen as 'too political' at the start. Do you think the show is better when it's like that, or when it focuses more on stunts?

"For me, my taste is for Casualty to be political with a small 'p'. It can still be issue-based. Even if you look at the Huntington's Disease storyline with Carol Royle, George Rainsford and Richard Winsor. I call that 'political', because it's exploring social politics. It's about caring, palliative care, end of life and terminal illness.

"I think it's great when Casualty gets stuck into an issue like that. There was also a storyline focusing on an FGM issue. So it doesn't necessarily have to be junior doctors shouting at Jeremy Hunt or whoever else is up there."

How do you think the show has changed over the years?

"When it first started, it was always felt that the individual episodes should be able to stand alone. Myself and Derek just did this Gogglebox format for iPlayer and watched 14 clips of Casualty history over the 30 years. The earlier ones were just so crisp. It was great. Yes the sets looked less impressive but the standard of the episodes was great."

Duffy had a much stronger accent at the beginning - why was it dropped?

"I did what I was told as a good young actor! At the beginning, everybody spoke RP or wherever they came from, but the two youngest and least experienced TV actors - Debbie Roza and myself - were picked to be local girls. So I sounded like Worzel Gummidge most of the time!

"Then the producer changed. Peter Norris took over, who's actually producing Line of Duty now. It was around the time when he was working with Antonia Bird. They wanted to make the show less localised to Bristol and they also wanted it to be grittier and more urban. As the timeslot went later, they were trying to create that urban feel.

"He just said 'Drop the accent', but it was around the time when Duffy became a Sister. I got a lot of people writing to me saying 'Where's your accent?' but I just said 'She's been listening to Radio 4 a lot!' It was just a case of being told 'do it' and I said 'okay'.

"But I'm thinking of bringing it back in, in a scene next week! It's just one line but I think you'll like it."
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

As Casualty celebrates its 30th anniversary with a feature-length special this week, it's only fitting that original character Lisa 'Duffy' Duffin is right at the heart of the action alongside Charlie Fairhead.

Duffy is keen to help Charlie (Derek Thompson) celebrate 30 years at Holby in style as his surprise party looms, but when a huge stunt rocks the hospital, Charlie will need his old friend by his side to help him deal with much more serious matters.

We recently caught up with Cathy Shipton, who plays Duffy, to hear more about the action-packed episode.

How do you feel about Casualty reaching this milestone?

"I'm flabbergasted that the show is still here after 30 years. As an actor, usually you start a job and then you're just off to the next one. Whether they call this 'continuing drama' now, or a 'soap drama', Casualty is a serious piece of dramatic endeavour. So I'm quite surprised that it's lasted so long but wonderfully so.

"We did have a hiccup after the second series because it was all axed for being a bit too political, but then it was reinstated."

What can you tell us about Duffy's involvement in the 30th anniversary episode?

"The focus of the episode, forgetting the dramatic turn of events, is that it's to celebrate Charlie's 30 years in nursing. So that's what Duffy has turned up to do. She also has her own story going on, which is slightly complicated, as to why she's not in New Zealand.

"Throughout the episode, people from Charlie's past are either coming up in person or in video messages to wish him well. So it is the happiest day and the darkest hour, because there's a spin in it. It doesn't quite work out as they all planned."

What was it like to work with Ian Bleasdale, who plays Josh, again?

"Well, what's funny is that down the road from the Casualty studio is The Doctor Who Experience. When myself, Ian and Derek walked in that first day and we were doing a scene together as the three of us, it was like we were the Time Lords!

"For us, when the three of us are together, it's absolutely normal because we've kept in touch anyway - whether I've been in the show or not. So we're just going along and living our lives, but everybody else's reaction is: 'Oh my God, look who's here!' You think: 'It's just us!' You forget the impact that it has on other people - they start acting slightly funny."

Was it easy to get back into the rhythm of working together?

"What surprised me was how quickly we moved back into our short-hand together. That happened within minutes. When you work as fast as we do at Casualty, you just have to rely on your instincts and the history you've built up with each other.

"We haven't seen each other as our characters for ages, but when you put the frock on, it's like ghosts walking in you. You do a 'Duffy thing' not a 'Cathy thing'. It's strange!

"I also remember watching Ian and how he handled the trolley. All the cast who didn't know him were asking: 'How has he learned to do that? It took me ages to do that!' Cut him in half and he's Casualty through and through."

You mentioned Casualty being seen as 'too political' at the start. Do you think the show is better when it's like that, or when it focuses more on stunts?

"For me, my taste is for Casualty to be political with a small 'p'. It can still be issue-based. Even if you look at the Huntington's Disease storyline with Carol Royle, George Rainsford and Richard Winsor. I call that 'political', because it's exploring social politics. It's about caring, palliative care, end of life and terminal illness.

"I think it's great when Casualty gets stuck into an issue like that. There was also a storyline focusing on an FGM issue. So it doesn't necessarily have to be junior doctors shouting at Jeremy Hunt or whoever else is up there."

How do you think the show has changed over the years?

"When it first started, it was always felt that the individual episodes should be able to stand alone. Myself and Derek just did this Gogglebox format for iPlayer and watched 14 clips of Casualty history over the 30 years. The earlier ones were just so crisp. It was great. Yes the sets looked less impressive but the standard of the episodes was great."

Duffy had a much stronger accent at the beginning - why was it dropped?

"I did what I was told as a good young actor! At the beginning, everybody spoke RP or wherever they came from, but the two youngest and least experienced TV actors - Debbie Roza and myself - were picked to be local girls. So I sounded like Worzel Gummidge most of the time!

"Then the producer changed. Peter Norris took over, who's actually producing Line of Duty now. It was around the time when he was working with Antonia Bird. They wanted to make the show less localised to Bristol and they also wanted it to be grittier and more urban. As the timeslot went later, they were trying to create that urban feel.

"He just said 'Drop the accent', but it was around the time when Duffy became a Sister. I got a lot of people writing to me saying 'Where's your accent?' but I just said 'She's been listening to Radio 4 a lot!' It was just a case of being told 'do it' and I said 'okay'.

"But I'm thinking of bringing it back in, in a scene next week! It's just one line but I think you'll like it."
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Casualty is lining up a mental health story for Duffy as she struggles to cope during a difficult shift this weekend.

Viewers saw the nurse secretly make an appointment with her GP last week, but Saturday's (September 29) scenes will offer a further insight into what she's been hiding.

After attending her doctor's appointment, a visibly distracted Duffy feels unable to confide in Charlie over what's going on and instead throws herself into a tricky case involving a girl called Rachel.

As Duffy does her best to support Rachel – who has been attacked in a park – she is surprised to learn that her patient's dad is actually her childhood sweetheart, Bill.

However, when Duffy becomes embroiled in Bill and Rachel's family feud, she struggles to cope with it all and ends up having a panic attack.

When Bill calms her down, a tearful Duffy admits that she has been diagnosed with depression and prescribed medication – but she's yet to discuss it with Charlie.

Fans will have to wait and see whether Duffy does decide to confide in Charlie or not, but we already know that this is paving the way for a difficult few months for the pair.

Show boss Lucy Raffety recently told Digital Spy that the popular couple would be taking centre stage in one of the biggest stories of the series as they face one of their toughest challenges to date

She said: "This is a huge series for Charlie and Duffy. I am not going to say too much but they go through an incredibly tough time where their marriage is put under huge strain."

Casualty airs these scenes on Saturday, September 29 at 8.35pm on BBC One.

Digital Spy

Thread Information