Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cats and killing birds

cats and killing birds

my cat's new thing is killing birds, bringing them into the house and plucking them for me. i've heard of cats leaving dead animals at doors etc but never bringing them in. any ideas on what i can do to stop her. she's 10 months old.

Pressies

Bless her, she is only bringing you presents to show how much she loves you. Not very nice for you!! Have you tried putting a bell round her neck to warns the birds she is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Skits
    my cat's new thing is killing birds, bringing them into the house and plucking them for me. i've heard of cats leaving dead animals at doors etc but never bringing them in. any ideas on what i can do to stop her. she's 10 months old.
    My cat use to do that all the time. I had a pidgeon, a rat and once a Kebab brought into the house.. she is just shown you her kill but she will grow out of that if you show her it is wrong to bring it inside...
    Super Mod

Quote Originally Posted by moonstorm
    Bless her, she is only bringing you presents to show how much she loves you. Not very nice for you!! Have you tried putting a bell round her neck to warns the birds she is there?
    she has a bell but i think the birds are already dead when she finds them as there was someone shooting birds near us at the weekend. i know it's an affection thing but not very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan
    My cat use to do that all the time. I had a pidgeon, a rat and once a Kebab brought into the house.. she is just shown you her kill but she will grow out of that if you show her it is wrong to bring it inside...
    i've been punishing her by putting her out and not leaving the window open for her to come back in but it doesn't seem to work. i felt really stupid last night as i was holding her and pointing at the bird and saying that's bold!
    Last edited by Skits; 03-05-2006 at 12:47.

well my cat brings home dead rats and she brings little baby birds home alive! i know its not nice but its what cats do! you cant stop them from doing it it's nature and all there doing is bringing a trophy home for you to be proud of!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skits
    i've been punishing her by putting her out and not leaving the window open for her to come back in but it doesn't seem to work. i felt really stupid last night as i was holding her and pointing at the bird and saying that's bold!
    That is what you have to do.. It sounds silly but they think they are doing something great for you.. they do grow out of it
    Super Mod

thanks guys. hopefully she'll grow out of it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan
    That is what you have to do.. It sounds silly but they think they are doing something great for you.. they do grow out of it
    my has not grown out of it and she is 2!

Both my cats do this all the time, one day last summer Rum bought a live Rabbit home to show me, Couldnt believe it ! It was kicking and it was about as big of Rum,

They are both 5 1/2 now but still do it all the time, Rat,mice,frogs,birds anything that moves,

I dont really mind as thats what cats do, I used to try and tell them of but it never seemed to work! I f anything it seemed to make them want to bring more as an apology !!! crazy I know.
    [VIX :

Thread Information