Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SoapBoards Book Group

Exclamation SoapBoards Book Group

SoapBoards is going to have a Book Group.

The aim is to encourage reading between young and old. Once a month we will decide on a book to read, and then all members of the book group will borrow it from the library or buy it, and then read it. After the month we will then discuss the book in detail giving our opinions on the book, its context, the author and further meanings.

As some books are hard to follow, and Soapboards is a youth orientated site, there will be two groups: Teenage (That read teenage and kids books) and Elder (Who read more complex or mature books) Teenagers are free to join the Elder group if they feel they will be able to read the books.

Anyone who is intrested in joining these Book Groups, please PM or Email me as soon as possible so i can get an idea of numbers and arrange plans.

The first books are:

For the Elders: The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

It's an easy book to obtain, a popular read, but is it worth the hype? With the film on its way soon this gives a chance for those who have read it to enjoy it again and give it the discussions it deserves, and for those who havent to read a literacy classic!

For the Teenagers: Jake's Tower by Elizabeth Laird

A dramatic tale about a young boy who has to grow up with domestic violence. Whoever he gets trough it with his imagintion of a tower where he hides...a well written book and has a serious theme that can be disucssed amongst all you teen readers.

You all have until the end of May to obtain a copy of this book and have read it. We will discuss the book at the end of May, in mid may the next book will be chosen, based on recommendations from other members of the book group.

any ideas on what the next book will be - planning on finishing the other one tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Luna
    any ideas on what the next book will be - planning on finishing the other one tonight
    I think it's going to be based on recommendations. So if theres one you want to read just put it forward

I've almost finished the Davinic Code too! Got 50 pages to go! im looking forward to a go ending!

I've nearly finshed reading the Da Vinci code too, i was going to read the ohter one for teenagers but i alredy had the Da Vinci code and ive always wanted to read it too

I will be definitely joining next month, too busy packing this month so don't have time to read... Could recommend a few I haven't read in years.. it will make me read them again
    Super Mod

well i finished the book last night...wont say anything til the end of the month

I would like to put forward James paterson cradle and all for the next book

Quote Originally Posted by Luna
    well i finished the book last night...wont say anything til the end of the month

I would like to put forward James paterson cradle and all for the next book
    Thats the one we shall read then Lee! First recomendation is the next read! Thats the rules folks!!!!

oh goody!!! **looks out dusty old book**

Cradle & All

In Boston, a young woman finds herself pregnant--even though she is still a virgin.

In Ireland, another young woman discovers she is in the same impossible condition.

And in cities all around the world, medical authorities are overwhelmed by epidemics, droughts, famines, floods, and worse. It all feels like a sign that something awful is coming.

Anne Fitzgerald, a former nun turned private investigator, is hired by the Archdiocese of Boston to investigate the immaculate conceptions. Even as she comes to care about and trust the young women, she realizes that both are in great danger. Terrifying forces of light and darkness are gathering. Stepping into uncharted territory where the unknown is just the beginning, Anne must discover the truth--to save the young women, to save herself, and to protect the future of all mankind.
    Excerpts

that book looks really good that you said luna

take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints and kill nothing but time

Thread Information