View Poll Results: Does sexism exist in today's society?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only towards females

2 18.18%
  • Yes, but only towards males

1 9.09%
  • Yes, towards males and females in different ways

8 72.73%
  • No

0 0%

Thread: Do we still live in a sexist society?

Do we still live in a sexist society?

in olden times, society used to be male dominated and it used to be very sexist towards women. today there are so many laws to make sure that women arent discriminated against, but does sexism still exist?

as ive said theres always been sexism towards women but do you think its still a problem in todays society? for example, if a woman sleeps around shes labelled a slapper, but if a man does exactly the same thing no one seems to mind. also, we were given this sheet at school which had loads of statistics on it, all showing that the majority of executive and high-up jobs are done by men, is this cos people think the men are the ones who should do these jobs and women should only do jobs which are less important, or is it cos the men are more talented and so better suited to these jobs or simply that women do not want to do these jobs and so choose not to do them for one reason or another?

however, it also works the other way. if a girl acts like a tomboy and likes to play with cars, play football or climb trees etc then that seems like an ok thing to do (even though these are traditionally seen as "boys" things), but if a boy acts a bit girly and likes playing with dolls etc (things which are traditionally seen as "girls" things) then people assume that he must be gay

so do you think sexism still exists in todays society, and not just sexism towards females but maybe towards males as well?
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

yes sexism does exist to both males and females.
    Especially in sport

Always has done, always will do. Its exactly the same with racism and prejudice.

With sexism alot of it comes down to roles and responsibilities. I'm for equal opportunities but in a different context. How about giving more to women who are raising a family? Not all women are career minded (they are if you believe the media), and to raise a family us a far more difficult task. Let's not forget that our birth rates are dropping all the time and it won't be long before we face a major crisis.

Leicestershire in the middle of the United Kingdom
    I doubt we could ever stop being in a sexiest society it's a part of the way this country works along with bigots, racists and any other prejudice I don't think it will ever change people are so hung up on their views these days that they don't take into consideration other peoples views, beliefs etc
    Thanks Jessie Wallace For My Fab Banner

yes we do but that will never change

Quote Originally Posted by dddMac1
    yes we do but that will never change
    I know i wish it would but i dont think it ever will

Thread Information