Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Grand National?

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'brien View Post
    One horse fell at the second fence. Why because he couldn't see it One finished 8 and one finished 12. But every cloud I won a tenner on tonights lottery.

Moonie I think we should sack your hubby and see tips from SB very own Flash Harry.
    Do you know which one Kath?? I have Santa's son in the house draw
    Super Mod

Quote Originally Posted by moonstorm View Post
    Well done all that won. Forgot to say Chloe, to make things worse - hubby had added the winner to his betting slip on a whim!!
    He's a swine Moonie. He's kept that a secret on puropse. He's sacked Katy is now the new horse tipper for SB

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Do you know which one Kath?? I have Santa's son in the house draw
    BecauseIcouldn'tsee was the horse that fell at the second fence Shiv. I was trying to be funny with saying he fell because he couldn't see it.

This is were the horses finished:

Full finishing order of the 2011 Grand National:
    First place:
    Ballabriggs (14-1)
    Jockey Jason Maguire: "He loved it and was jumping from fence to fence. I got him to the front to get him relaxed and put breathers into him and that helped him get the trip."
    Second place:
    Oscar Time (14-1) 2¼ lengths behind
    Jockey Sam Waley-Cohen: "The plan was always to come with one smooth run. We knew he had a huge jump in him so I was just trying to get him to pop a little bit and save and not get too keen. He did everything I asked of him."
    Third place:
    Don't Push It (9-1) 12 lengths
    Jockey Tony McCoy: "He ran a great race and all credit to the horse. He was off the bridle a little bit early and he got a little bit low at a couple of fences late on which was energy-sapping."
    Fourth place:
    State Of Play (28-1) 2 lengths
    Jockey Paul Moloney: "He's an incredible horse - he's just a little bit slower this year because time is catching up with him. He couldn't lay up with the pace and the ground was probably a little slower than ideal, but he's a fabulous horse."
    Fifth: Niche Market, 7 lengths
    Sixth: The Midnight Club, 4 lengths
    Seventh: Big Fella Thanks, 13 lengths
    Eighth: Surface To Air, head
    Ninth: Skippers Brig, 19 lengths
    10th: Backstage, 8 lengths
    11th: King Fontaine, ½ length
    12th: Silver By Nature, 25 lengths
    13th: In Compliance, 5 lengths
    14th: Bluesea Cracker, 8 lengths
    15th: Character Building, 16 lengths
    16th: Golden Kite, 12 lengths
    17th: Chief Dan George, 30 lengths
    18th: Royal Rosa, 20 lengths
    19th: Piraya, 46 lengths
    NON-FINISHERS
    Fence 1 That's Rhythm (fell)
    Fence 2 Becauseicouldntsee (fell), Vic Venturi (brought down)
    Fence 4 Calgary Bay (fell), Ornais (fell)
    Fence 6 Or Noir De Somoza (fell), Dooneys Gate (fell), The Tother One (fell), West End Rocker (brought down)
    Fence 10 Tidal Bay (unseated rider)
    Fence 11 Quolibet (unseated rider)
    Fence 13 Grand Slam Hero (fell)
    Fence 16 Quinz (pulled up)
    Fence 18 Can't Buy Time (fell)
    Fence 24 Majestic Concorde (unseated rider)
    Fence 27 What A Friend (pulled up), Santa's Son (pulled up), Killyglen (fell)
    Fence 28 Comply Or Die (pulled up), Arbor Supreme (fell)
    Fence 29 Hell Bud (pulled up)

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

1 jockey over-whipped, 2 horses died

The BBC is reportedly ready to admit defeat in its battle to keep major horse racing events, such as the Grand National, the Derby and Ascot, out of the clutches of Channel 4.

Channel 4 is thought to have lodged a higher bid for the premium events and the current climate of austerity at the BBC, including a 15% cut to sports rights bidding, means that senior executive at the corporation will not increase their own offer.

Due to expire at the end of this year, the BBC's contract for the horse racing events is thought to involve it paying £7.5m over three years to show 13 days of action per year.

The Guardian reports that the BBC has offered to increase the terms, but it is facing tough competition from Channel 4, which already shows various horse racing events, including the Cheltenham Festival which is currently on air.

A Channel 4 spokeswoman told the paper that negotiations over the rights were continuing, and nothing had been confirmed.

"We remain committed to horse racing and we have made various competitive offers," she said. "There is nothing more to be said at this time."

The BBC's sports rights budget is already looking stretched, after recent new deals for Six Nations and Wimbledon. The corporation is also expected to renew its deal for Premier League highlights this spring when they come up for tender.

BBC insiders are quoted as saying that "something had to give" in the budget cuts, while Channel 4 is positioning itself as the home of horse racing on free-to-air, already showing 80 days of coverage a year.

Should The Guardian's report prove correct, the final race shown on the BBC would be the Champion Stakes at Ascot on October 20, before coverage shifts to Channel 4.

Channel 4 is the lead broadcaster for the London Paralympic Games this summer, but its sports coverage beyond that is rather limited, prompting a failed attempt to secure Formula One last year. Snapping up the 'crown jewel' events of British horse racing would therefore be viewed as a valuable acquisition.

Any tips for this year folks?

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    Any tips for this year folks?
    I have one for Cheltenham today at 5-15
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

For gods sake, don't anyone listen to me!!

Quote Originally Posted by moonstorm View Post
    For gods sake, don't anyone listen to me!!
    Moonie it's not you it that Flash Harry husband of yours I haven't seen a list of horses running yet. Katy the one to ask.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

Siobhan (16-03-2012)

Okay folks it's that time of year again. Katy, what's your tip for tommorow? Moonie what three-legged donkey does Mr Moonie suggest? I'm putting a cheeky wee each way bet on Seabass and Treacle.

I am waiting on my mum to pick my horses out of the hat... will miss it again this year
    Super Mod

Thread Information