Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peter Doherty to join Eastenders

Quote Originally Posted by leanne
    Critically acclaimed singer-songwriter Peter Doherty has signed a five year contract at “EastEnders”, a move which is bound to stun the music world.
    Doherty will play mysterious musician Alexei Winthrop, a young man with ties to a pivotal legacy character, it was announced today by executive producer, Kathleen Hutchison. His first airdate will be in late May

“Alexei Winthrop is a character that the viewers will never forget, of Russian ancestry but who has always been an Eastender through and through. He will arrive in Albert Square after a particularly eye opening trip to Moscow, where he visited the man who he believes is his grandfather, Orthodox Monk Grigori. However, what we discover when Alexei arrives in Walford is that he bitterly harbours a secret told to him by Grigori about a resident of the Square... a secret which will change the lives of him and everybody in his proximity forever, perhaps even shake the very foundations of the community. This is an absolutely exciting casting coup. Alexei will have ties to so many of the current stories that are playing.
    I am delighted that Peter will be assuming this multi faceted and unique role, and we can all look forward to an emotionally compelling story that will turn Walford upside down,” said Ms. Hutchison in making the announcement.

Ms. Doherty added: “To my fans I say this - Look for me to release further music through Alexei Winthrop... EastEnders was offered to me as an alternative rehab that only I, as Peter Doherty could forsee having a cathartic effect. I don't need drugs when I have a good script in my hand and June Brown's looking after me now anyway. I am filled with eager anticipation to create this intense character. I can give you a little preview - Alexei takes Pat hostage within the first week but its a case of mistaken identity. I can't wait to be at the centre of the action.”

In the upcoming storyline, Alexei is already known to several residents of Walford as a drifting bohemian but one who refuses to put down roots. Upon his arrival in the Square, he immediately finds himself crossing paths with Pauline Fowler (Wendy Richard) who recoils in shock upon seeing him and faints. Alexei laughs, leaving the vulnerable Pauline alone and strides into the Vic where he kicks off an impromptu gig. Others who know of Alexei will be very uncomfortable with his presence but the BBC is staying tight lipped over whether he could form a roster of enemies over the next few months.

Could Carl Barat be next? Hutchison chuckles, "It's tempting to offer the 'other' star of music's last great soap like saga a contract too. However, we fear that they may come to blows and we run such a tight ship here at "EastEnders" that its a risk we simply cannot take at this point." However, Hutchison winks and previews - "Look for a Carl inspired character to crop up out of the woodwork though, and give Alexei the shock of his life."

EastEnders is a popular BBC television soap opera which was first broadcast on 19 February 1985. It has been running ever since, generating strong viewing figures for much of that time, and has been the UK's highest-rating programme on numerous occasions. Despite lengthy criticism of the show from the critics, in October 2005 it won the prestgious National Television Award for most popular Serial Drama which "EastEnders" has won several
    arent you meant to do april fools before midday?
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

who cares? i'd forgotten until after midday and i'm still pulling them!

oh my god this sounds so good i cant wait yay!!!!!

btw that was my april fools joke i really cant see any of this being true it sounds more like a hollyoaks storyine (no offence to it as i am a fan) but come on this is just stupid and i think that it is a complete joke

Totally April Fools me thinks!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by di marco
    arent you meant to do april fools before midday?
    Bit picky di marco!
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

believed it at first! lol then i thought why would they bring a druggie/singer into a soap , come on this has to be an april fool?

Quote Originally Posted by Birks_2k4
    Bit picky di marco!
    i was just saying lol! and anyway, isnt the person who plays the joke after 12 meant to be the fool instead? lol!
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

Quote Originally Posted by shannisrules
    believed it at first! lol then i thought why would they bring a druggie/singer into a soap , come on this has to be an april fool?
    Exactly! And he was charged about a week ago for something! It wouldn't be in May, and nobody gets a 5 year contract.

Well he'd do a better job than Juley I suppose.
    Last edited by Richie_lecturer; 02-04-2006 at 00:33.

Can the original poster please just admit that this was an April Fools joke??

Thread Information