Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fury at corrie's 'sick' plot

fury at corrie's 'sick' plot

Coronation Street bosses have been urged to scrap a 'sick' scene which was filmed at the scene of the Moors murders.

DISTRAUGHT Moors murder mum Winnie Johnson told of her outrage last night after learning Corrie bosses had filmed a controversial scene where her son was buried.
    Old wounds were reopened when the soap’s Sally Webster forced tearaway daughter Rosie into a car and drove her to bleak Saddleworth Moor outside Manchester
    Winnie, whose 12-year-old son Keith Bennett was among the young victims of 60s killers Ian Brady and Myra Hindley, said the scene amounted to child abduction.

The 72-year-old mum, who still does not know the exact location of Keith’s windswept grave, added:
    I had to sit down when I heard what they have done. Are they going out of their way to be sick? This is outrageous and plain disgusting.
    I lost my son out on those moors. I go there every year to lay flowers in memory of him.
    But to film a child abduction up there after everything that has happened is a disgrace.
    I love Coronation Street but after this sick publicity stunt I’m not sure I can watch it any more.
    The Corrie scenes, shot last week, are due to be screened in six weeks.

Many of the soap’s staff also felt the location was inappropriate.

An insider said: “A lot of people in Manchester are still angry about what happened up there. It was bad taste.”
    A spokesman for the soap said: “No offence was meant. The pictures released were unofficial and are not necessarily representative of what will be shown on screen.

“Rosie is taken by her own mother and there is never any sense of her being in danger.

“She is being taken to a boarding school and not to the Moors specifically.”
    Source - The Sun

I think this is an over-reaction. There is no comparison. Hindley and Brady tortured their victims before burying them on the Moors. The Corrie story is completely different. Whilst I have every sympathy for the victims of these two evil people it does not mean that no film can ever be shot in the area. If we thought that then no other film would be shot in London, New York or Baghdad
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

oh so rosie is going to broading school- so i will not have to see her no-more..
    Last edited by Angeltigger; 14-02-2006 at 13:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Angeltigger
    oh so rosie is going to broading school- so i will not have to see her no-more..
    The Moors are not a person but a place
    for example North Yorkshire Moors

The above reply was posted before the post was edited The ORIGINAL question was Who is the The Moors
    Last edited by alan45; 14-02-2006 at 13:18.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by alan45
    I think this is an over-reaction. There is no comparison. Hindley and Brady tortured their victims before burying them on the Moors. The Corrie story is completely different. Whilst I have every sympathy for the victims of these two evil people it does not mean that no film can ever be shot in the area. If we thought that then no other film would be shot in London, New York or Baghdad
    I agree. Whilst I have every sympathy for the woman, its just a location - there is no saying that the moors will be portrayed as that actual location.

The storyline is quite dissimilar to the moors case, so I dont see why it is an issue

The Moors are not a person but a place
    for example North Yorkshire Moors

The above reply was posted before the post was edited The ORIGINAL question was Who is the The Moors
    okay thanks Alan- it as i read it again and understood it

Hasn't many modern versions of wuthering heights been filmed on the moors? After all that is where it was set. I agree with you Alan, if they stop filming there, then they would never be able to film in any place there was a murder.
    Super Mod

I can understand what u all mean but you must be able to see it from this womans point of view. Her son is buried there, she has no idea where and goes there every year to place flowers. I think the point this lady is trying to make is the nature of the filming, which, even though she is with her mum is being portrayed as child abduction.

I disagree that the scene amounts to child abduction, I think its been taken in the wrong context.

I also disagree that this is a publicity stunt - its not like Sally is taking her to the Moors on purpose its only a filming location.

Quote Originally Posted by em9283
    I disagree that the scene amounts to child abduction, I think its been taken in the wrong context.

I also disagree that this is a publicity stunt - its not like Sally is taking her to the Moors on purpose its only a filming location.
    Agreed. It must be horrible for the families of the victims to try and get over something like that.

However, the Corrie storyline doesn't bear any resemblance to what happened. If it did then it would, indeed, be in bad taste.

Thread Information