2 6.25%
  • Won't vote

5 15.63%
  • Total Apathy

1 3.13%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General election

Arrow General election

The election is a week away now. Who will you be voting for and why? What are the main issues that concern you?

I'm adding a poll to the thread which everyone can vote in, even if you are under the required legal age.

Here's some sites to help you decide:
    http://www.whoshouldyouvotefor.com/
    http://www.backingblair.co.uk - not what you think!

Hmm As the only one to vote so far does that mean people don't care?

lol - give it time!

I have big problems with the British 'party' system. MPs are supposed to represent their constituents, not their party!

My local MP is fantastic, a great constituency MP who had the guts to stand up and be counted when he opposed the Gulf War.

Robin Cooke resigned from government over this issue showing that he has principles and he gets my vote.

Unfortunately this also means that I end up voting for Tony Blair, a man for whom I have no respect at all....

i am a first time voter and i know for a fact i won't vote for Labour don't trust blair he is a lier he lied about things like Iraq,tuition
    fees ID cards (Big Brother) Etc
    and i wont vote for conservative don't trust Howard with the NHS Education and they have not changed since the last time they where in.right now LibDems have got my Vote

Quote Originally Posted by Shari
    I have big problems with the British 'party' system. MPs are supposed to represent their constituents, not their party!

My local MP is fantastic, a great constituency MP who had the guts to stand up and be counted when he opposed the Gulf War.

Robin Cooke resigned from government over this issue showing that he has principles and he gets my vote.

Unfortunately this also means that I end up voting for Tony Blair, a man for whom I have no respect at all....
    My local MP isn't fantastic - he voted for student fees, war in Iraq etc. I won't be voting Labour as Teflon Tony has said one lie too many.

I think its time we changed to proportional representation instead of our current first past the post system. I want my vote to be counted nationally, even if my chosen candidate doesn't win locally.

Quick example of PR (Proportional Representation)

• Labour 30,000
    • Conservative 25,000
    • Lib Dems 15,000

According to the above, the Labour candidate has won with 30,000 votes, but the most important figure is 40,000 (the sum of conservative and lib dems) who do not agree with the choice of candidate. PR ensures that those who votes get count against also get some form of representation.

Labour and the Conservatives don't want to see it happen as the current system favours them .... and they say we live in a democracy ....

This Thurday is the crunch day - is this thread reflecting the interest people have in politics these days?

no I dont think so but some people dont like telling!

The poll is totally anonymous.

I know this is going to sound toally sad, but I've got Thursday night fully planned. I'm gonna stay up all night, grab a few curries etc, and watch the results come in. I love seeing politicians get their come-uppance. Anyone remember Portillo and Hamilton? Or should that be ?

Anyway, its well worth staying up for - its ike watching a drama, only its live!

Yea i'm going to stay up. Still not sure who i'm voting for

Thread Information