Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lewis

That's good news.

i like it! i just find it all a nit too dragged out,

Laurence Fox has revealed that the seventh series of ITV1 detective drama Lewis will be the show's last.

Fox claimed that the programme's star Kevin Whately and himself had agreed to call it a day to prevent the series becoming "a bit samey".

"Kev and I have decided we want to do other things, otherwise it all gets a bit samey," he told The Daily Telegraph.

"I mean we could have gone on forever, but... Oh God, was I supposed to say that? I have no idea if I'm allowed to tell you it's ending. Bloody hell, what if I wasn't?"

ITV gave the show a seventh run in May, claiming that they "remain committed" to the Inspector Morse spin-off. The show has been a regular hit in the ratings for the broadcaster on both Sunday and Wednesday nights.

Kevin Whately has revealed his Lewis bosses were "horrified" when he announced he wanted a break from the series.

The actor has played Oxford policeman Robbie Lewis for more than a quarter of a century, first as the sidekick to the late John Thaw in Inspector Morse and, since 2006, in his own spin-off in which Lewis is boss to Laurence Fox's DS Hathaway, and decided it was time for a break.

He said: "Laurence and I told them this time last year that we wanted to finish it. I think both of us wouldn't have minded going under a bus but they said, 'Well we're not going to kill you off' so we've agreed to have a sabbatical."

However, Whately thinks more will be filmed in 2014 and there are the remaining episodes of the current series to be screened.

"It does resolve itself at the end of the films. There's a kind of gentle ending of sorts. It's not a cliff-hanger or a brick wall but there's a rounding off, which is quite nice," he said.

The actor, who turns 62 in February, explained that the the time feels right. "I'm police retirement age and I'm sure Lewis would be thinking about that or would be kicked out anyway," he said.

Whately also revealed he is "not driven by acting any more".

"I like doing it as a job but I'm not driven to play Hamlet or King Lear any more," he said.

But he admitted he doesn't like the idea of never playing Lewis again: "I'd be sad if I felt I'd never play him again, so it's nice that he's floating around."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (21-01-2013)

ITV confirmed that Lewis stars Kevin Whately and Laurence Fox have decided to retire from the drama after 10 years playing the ‘perfect’ detective duo Robbie Lewis and James Hathaway.

Lewis, also starring Angela Griffin and Clare Holman, will come to a close this month. The popular drama concludes with a two-part film, What Lies Tangled, airing on Tuesday 3 and Tuesday 10 November 10 on ITV.

Kevin Whately starred with John Thaw in Inspector Morse and first appeared on screen as Robbie Lewis in 1987. In November 2000 John Thaw and Kevin made their farewell appearance in the 33rd Inspector Morse film, a dramatization of Colin Dexter’s final novel, the Remorseful Day.

Kevin Whately said: "I feel incredibly fortunate to have shared a decade of fantastic worldwide success with Laurence and with the most brilliant crew, cast and production team anyone could wish for, and all that time with the loyal support of so many fans and of our backers ITV and WGBH ‎Boston. Thanks everybody. What a ride it has been!”

Laurence Fox said: "What an extraordinary ten years. I feel so lucky to have worked with absolutely the best crew in the business on Lewis. I will really miss hanging out with Kev for half the year. I am however fairly confident that he will not miss my flawless Geordie accent between takes. Thank you so much for watching and supporting us. “

ITV’s Director of Drama Steve November commented: "It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to Robbie Lewis, one of ITV's most loved and enduring characters. We owe Kevin a huge debt of gratitude for nearly 30 fantastic years of Morse and Lewis, and, of course, many thanks too to Laurence Fox who has been by Kevin's side for the last 10 years. We respect their decision not to continue into a further series and wish them the very best for whatever comes next."
    Last edited by tammyy2j; 03-11-2015 at 15:50.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (03-11-2015), maidmarian (03-11-2015)

Thread Information