Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Dean Wicks

Yes, it is important, but in these sort of circumstances I do feel that broadcasters, especially the BBC, have some sort of responsibility to encorage women to go to the police and not to let rapists get away with it.

Of course I've never been - and never will be - in the position of a woman who has been raped, but I can imagine what an overwhelmingly traumatic experience it must be and I can see why women might delay reporting it, just like Linda did. The feeling of shame, not wanting your partner to know, the feeling that somehow it was my fault and so on. Is the counsel then to be, if you don't report it straight away, don't bother? I sincerely hope this is not the road Eastenders is going down.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (28-01-2015), Glen1 (28-01-2015), lizann (27-01-2015), maidmarian (26-01-2015), Perdita (27-01-2015), sarah c (28-01-2015), tammyy2j (27-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    mick will make him brown bread
    I hope so

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    ...but in these sort of circumstances I do feel that broadcasters, especially the BBC, have some sort of responsibility to encorage women to go to the police and not to let rapists get away with it.
    I'm in two minds about this. Showing women that it's best to go to the police straight away as rapists may escape justice without evidence might help educate women and get more rapists locked up, but realism's not always appropriate in soaps. I certainly don't want the realism to go as far as allowing Dean to stay on in the square (as has been reported, though not officially confirmed as far as I'm aware).

There's several killers walking freely around the square but rape's far more common and a much larger percentage of victims don't get any justice, so it's a far more emotive subject for lots of people. Also, they say that anyone can be pushed far enough to kill, but I believe it takes a certain type of person to be able to rape. That's a character that I'll always find unpleasant to watch and might put me off watching EE eventually. I've seen other fans say the same elsewhere.

I absolutely do not want to see Linda having to live in close proximity to Dean, although I know many women are unfortunate enough to be in that horrendous position.

The only thing I'd say about reporting a rape late is that even if the perpetrator escapes justice this time it could still help in the future if the rapist is a repeat offender. The recent historical abuse cases have shown that evidence of a pattern of abuse can get someone incarcerated.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 28-01-2015 at 17:42.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Jessie Wallace (28-01-2015), maidmarian (28-01-2015)

EastEnders' executive producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins has promised that "there will be justice" at the end of the Linda Carter and Dean Wicks rape storyline.

Speaking to the Radio Times, the show's boss said that the conclusion of the plot will be "satisfying but shocking".

Mick is oblivious to Linda's discomfort when she has to share a sofa with Dean
    © BBC

Viewers have recently seen Linda (Kellie Bright) report Dean's (Matt Di Angelo) actions to the police, but the Carter family remain divided on whose version of events to believe.

Treadwell-Collins said of the storyline: "We're not The Bill. That show was about the police solving things. I don't have main characters who are police officers.

"We have tried very hard to create police characters who are interesting and who have their own stories. And there are more police twists coming up. But that's not who my viewers are tuning in to see.

"They want to see Linda and Mick. They're the people they care about and not the police. So the police solving it is not satisfying for the viewer."

Last year, the executive producer confirmed that there would be no trial for Dean, describing it as the "easy and wrong way" to wrap up the story.

Earlier this week, EastEnders unveiled a chilling new trailer for its highly-anticipated 30th anniversary week, which begins on Monday, February 16.

If it is the case , it will be an utter disgrace and a massive betrayal to both survivors of rape and support organisations . I hope the viewing public express their outrage to the Beeb. Send an email the more the better.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Glen1 For This Useful Post:

parkerman (28-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post

"They want to see Linda and Mick. They're the people they care about and not the police. So the police solving it is not satisfying for the viewer."

Last year, the executive producer confirmed that there would be no trial for Dean, describing it as the "easy and wrong way" to wrap up the story.
    a) Personally I think it would be very satisfying to see the police "solve" it and for Dean to get his commeuppance through proper legal procedure.
    b) It is neither easy nor wrong for the story to be wrapped up with Dean being found guilty and getting banged up. In fact it is really the only right way.
    I await with less than baited breath to see how Eastenders are going to end this story satisfactorily so that women can feel confident in going to the police to report a rape.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (28-01-2015), maidmarian (28-01-2015), tammyy2j (28-01-2015)

I too see no problem with Dean facing trial for rape , Too many big storylines focus on the "big event" and then the aftermath fades away. Matt di Angelo has been great in his role as Dean imo, but to continue with the character on the square is well out of order , very unrealistic, and annoying. I guess to satisfy another plot. So much for Lady Justice being blindfold.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glen1 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (29-01-2015), maidmarian (28-01-2015), parkerman (28-01-2015)

This is a very sensitive subject but as I said previously I think its just as important to show other scenarios of a rape ordeal. While I am in full agreement that women/men should get justice and deliver this storyline in the manner it should be dealt with, the fact of the matter is its not always a reality. Most victims tend to keep it a secret and leave it as long as Linda did. Soaps have portrayed rape storylines in the manner they report it and the police arrest the person responsible but most cases that is not how cases work out.

Whilst victims should be confident in taking legal action, there are victims who have tried and didn't succeed. What this storyline shows is that the faster you report it the more likely chance the police will arrest the person but what does that really show for current victims. Linda kept it quiet for a few months and will be told she left it too long/got rid of evidence so realistically and this storyline will have more of an impact on victims who have gone through this terrible experience recently and god forbid people who may go through this experience as they can get legal justice. What about those how have kept quiet for too long already. I believe a rape storyline should help everyone and what women/men should do if they can't legal justice immediately. What you want is a storyline encouraging victims to go the police and what if they are unable to get the same ending you want in the soaps, the soaps didn't provide alternative scenarios.

Eastenders are going to end this story satisfactorily so that women can feel confident in going to the police to report a rape.
    As mentioned above, I believe women should feel confident but what about victims who were unsuccessful in going through the legal justice system. All types of victims are important and I think that's something a lot of people are forgetting as it will bring to light what victims, who are in Linda's situation, can do.
    Last edited by xx_Dan_xx; 28-01-2015 at 20:07.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xx_Dan_xx For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (29-01-2015), Perdita (28-01-2015)

Last edited by xx_Dan_xx; 28-01-2015 at 19:50.

I was listening to a very interesting programme on Radio Four tonight - Unreliable Evidence - about the law and rape: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0507pmp

Thread Information