Page 56 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: What is everyone reading?

I must read that again, when its not in a school setting! I always hated all books i studied at school, to kill a mockingbird being one of them. You dont appreciate them when your forced to read and analyse them, well i didnt anyway! i saw it recently at the lowry on stage so it would be interesting to see how i ofund it reading it on my own accord. The same thing happened when i re read catcher and the rye, which was the last book i read.

That is what happened with me and Wuthering Heights.. I hated it at school as I had to dissect it and all that but a few years after leaving school I picked it back up and read it and it is now one of my all time favourite books
    Super Mod

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

Katy (14-12-2010)

I haven't read a book since I finished Mark Billingham's Thorne book. I'll need to get another one.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

I need to get a new book too.. I am looking for Ken Follett "Fall of the Giants" and James Herbert "Ash".... hint hint Santa.. you can put them in the glove box of my ferrari that contains Josh Holloway, Matt Cardle and Sebastien Vettel
    Super Mod

Could you not talk about Matt and Sebastian in the same sentence. I can't concentrate as it is. Do you remember that budwiser advert with the girl on Malibu beach and a guy pulls up on a motor bike with the song "More than a feeling playing" I'm that girl and Matt and Sebby are heading my way.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Nearly finished JUMP by Jilly Cooper, another novel of the Riders, Polo, Rivals genre, if you like those, you will like this one too

Oh I loved Jump Perdy. It is like meeting an old friend when you read one of her books.
    Last edited by moonstorm; 14-12-2010 at 14:15.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to moonstorm For This Useful Post:

Perdita (14-12-2010)

I've read three books in the past month. I' hoping I've gotten out of my funk and am able to read again.

Prozac Nation
    I read this hoping to find some deeper understand about my depression but it was mainly self-indulgent twaddle that wandered off on endless rambles. Some parts of the book were brilliant, the last 50 pages had me gripped. But I just didn't empathise with the author at all and I don't think I related to the story at all in any way. Having read the wiki page, it apparently polarised the critics. Even from the stand point of having severe depression and not being able to pull myself out of it, I still couldn't feel what she was describing or relate to any of her behaviour.

The Fry Chronicles
    I read Stephen Fry's first autobiography (~1999) a few months ago and I really enjoyed it so I bought the follow up which came out in September. I adore Stephen Fry, partly because he is so open and honest and also because he's made a success of his life whilst having cyclothymia.The second book is mainly about the time after leaving prison, getting into Cambridge and his early acting career. I highly recommend this book if you like Stephen or even if you don't. It has lots of colour plates of his early years in acting, many with the delectable Hugh Laurie. It ends on the cliffhanger of his cocaine addiction, which I didn't know about. It's just a page at the end of the book where he says something about trying cocaine for the first time and using quite often, which is a story for another time... I'm hoping this will be discussed in more detail in a third book, hopefully not too far in the future.

Wasted
    I read this book in two days and I really recommend it. It's one of the best autobiographies I've ever read. Its about a guy who grew up in an abusive home, developed an addiction to drugs, ended up on the streets then got his life back after about five attempts at rehab. He now works for the Probation service advising them on young offenders and how to stop re-offending. The book is very graphic in places and is shocking too. For example, he tells about the time he got high in the back seat of his car whilst his two year old son was strapped into the front seat and how he was sexually abused by a friend at the age of 7 and became sexually precocious. This is a must read for anyone interested in drug addiction, offending, homelessness or those autobiographies about abused children. Its made me view homeless people in a different light.

My next book is Crack House then its back to fiction for a while.
    Thanks CrazyLea

I finished Crack House last night. Its a good book, easy to read and very interesting.

Next book is Genesis by Karin Slaughter. I must have read this book before as the spine is creased but I can't remember anything about it. Its a long book compared to my recent reads (~350 to 550).

I've also downloaded the Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia audio books on to my ipod so I'm listening to the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe at the moment.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas Angel View Post
    Nearly finished JUMP by Jilly Cooper, another novel of the Riders, Polo, Rivals genre, if you like those, you will like this one too
    Haven't read any other good books lately have you, Perdy?

Just asking....

Thread Information