Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: What is everyone reading?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkles14 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jelly belly View Post
    Just finished reading Dont Tell Mummy by Toni Maguire..
    Toni tells the story about her terrible childhood and becoming pregnant at the age of 14 by her father...
    very hard book to put down you just want to keep reading...
    Is that the one where the girl has a termination but it goes wrong and she can't have any more children?

I'm reading One Child by Torey Hayden. It's about a six year old girl who's mother left her on a highway (set in America) when she was four and was abused. She set fire to a little boy and was "sentenced" to a psychiatric hospital. While waiting for a place she was put in a special needs class for retarded kids. Her teacher (the author) was an educational psychologist and special needs teacher and she was the only one who realised that the girl wasn't mad. It's a true life thing and it's really good. I was almost crying in places.

Yeh thats the one she has an termination that goes wrong...
    the one your reading sounds ok think i will have to have alook for it..

Just read Please daddy no by Stuart howarth ..
    All he wants is for his father to love him but he is made to believe he is too naughty to be loved.
    I've read Please Daddy No. It's really good.
    If you go on www.play.com they do loads of deals on books like 3 for £14. Everything is VAT free as well cos they're based in Jersey so it's really cheep too.

I'm reading Jill Mansell "Making your mind up" it's actually pretty good better than i though as i nicked it off my mum.

Thanks To Vicky For My Fab Banner!!!

I am reading Damaged by Cathy Glass.True story.
    Although Jodie is only eight years old, she is violent, aggressive, and has already been through numerous foster families. Her last hope is Cathy Glass. At the Social Services office, Cathy (an experienced foster carer) is pressured into taking Jodie as a new placement. Jodie's challenging behaviour has seen off five carers in four months. Despite her reservations, Cathy decides to accept Jodie to protect her from being placed in an institution. Jodie arrives, and her first act is to soil herself, and then wipe it on her face, grinning wickedly. Jodie meets Cathy's teenage children, and greets them with a sharp kick to the shins. That night, Cathy finds Jodie covered in blood, having cut her own wrist, and smeared the blood over her face. As Jodie begins to trust Cathy, her behaviour improves. Over time, with childish honesty, she reveals details of her abuse at the hands of her parents and other relatives. It becomes clear that Jodie's parents were involved in a sickening paedophile ring, with neighbours and Social Services ignoring the obvious signs. Unfortunately, Jodie becomes increasingly withdrawn, and it's clear she needs psychiatric therapy.Cathy urges the Social Services to provide funding, but instead, they decide to take Jodie away from her, and place her in a residential unit. Although the paedophile ring is investigated and brought to justice, Jodie's future is still up in the air. Cathy promises that she will stand by her no matter what - her love for the abandoned Jodie is unbreakable.

The best true story book Ive ever read is Bridge across my sorrows by Christina Noble.

Here's a review of the book!
    For most of her childhood Christina Noble had lived in poverty with four siblings, a desperate mother and a drunken father. Her only escape from the harshness of life was her love of singing and dancing, and she dreamed of becoming an entertainer. After the sudden death of her mother she became responsible for her brother and sisters' health whilst her father was unable to do anything for them. Before long, the family was separated and each child was sent to a strict industrial school.
    When Christina left her school, she lived as a street child in Dublin. Her life was always at risk, and one day she was abducted and raped by four men. She then decided to move to Birmingham to start a new life. She got married but her husband was always violent throughout their marriage. One night she had a dream that changed her life, and she decided to go to Vietnam to help the street children there.
    After divorcing her first husband and leaving her second husband, she travelled to Vietnam and after a long struggle to cope with the culture shock, she convinced the people there that the street children were worthy of safety and shelter, and set up a hospital and school for them.

I think the woman should be sainted She has her own foundation which works with the street children to give them safety and shelter.

Thanking the fabulous TAbbie, for the banner!

Quote Originally Posted by chance View Post
    I am reading Damaged by Cathy Glass.True story.
    Although Jodie is only eight years old, she is violent, aggressive, and has already been through numerous foster families. Her last hope is Cathy Glass. At the Social Services office, Cathy (an experienced foster carer) is pressured into taking Jodie as a new placement. Jodie's challenging behaviour has seen off five carers in four months. Despite her reservations, Cathy decides to accept Jodie to protect her from being placed in an institution. Jodie arrives, and her first act is to soil herself, and then wipe it on her face, grinning wickedly. Jodie meets Cathy's teenage children, and greets them with a sharp kick to the shins. That night, Cathy finds Jodie covered in blood, having cut her own wrist, and smeared the blood over her face. As Jodie begins to trust Cathy, her behaviour improves. Over time, with childish honesty, she reveals details of her abuse at the hands of her parents and other relatives. It becomes clear that Jodie's parents were involved in a sickening paedophile ring, with neighbours and Social Services ignoring the obvious signs. Unfortunately, Jodie becomes increasingly withdrawn, and it's clear she needs psychiatric therapy.Cathy urges the Social Services to provide funding, but instead, they decide to take Jodie away from her, and place her in a residential unit. Although the paedophile ring is investigated and brought to justice, Jodie's future is still up in the air. Cathy promises that she will stand by her no matter what - her love for the abandoned Jodie is unbreakable.
    That sounds really good, might have to get that. I think I saw it in Tesco this afternoon. Great place to buy paperback chart books cheeply (£3.73 for most)

Probably one of my favourite books is Jack Osbourne's autobiography, 21 Years Gone. He had so many problems, drug (illegal and prescription) and alcohol addictions, bullying, misfit because of his family's status and being severly dyslexic. He managed to turn his life around and make something of himself. After trying to kill himself he realised he needed help. If you've ever been in that place where it's impossible to see the light at the end of the tunnel this book shows that whatever you're going through you can beat it and come out the other side. It made me cry in a lot of places but it also made me laugh towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by samantha nixon View Post
    i have started reading marley and me and the road of the dead and they are both quite good books but i cant seem to get into reading at the mo
    is that the book about the dog (marley and me)? if so ive got that, havent read it yet though. atm im reading stage management books lol!
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

Quote Originally Posted by jelly belly View Post
    Just finished reading Dont Tell Mummy by Toni Maguire..
    Toni tells the story about her terrible childhood and becoming pregnant at the age of 14 by her father...
    very hard book to put down you just want to keep reading...
    Is that the one where the girl has a termination but it goes wrong and she can't have any more children?

I'm reading One Child by Torey Hayden. It's about a six year old girl who's mother left her on a highway (set in America) when she was four and was abused. She set fire to a little boy and was "sentenced" to a psychiatric hospital. While waiting for a place she was put in a special needs class for retarded kids. Her teacher (the author) was an educational psychologist and special needs teacher and she was the only one who realised that the girl wasn't mad. It's a true life thing and it's really good. I was almost crying in places.
    I've read that, and I'm now reading Twilight Children by the same authour, its also a sad but good read

Quote Originally Posted by di marco View Post
    i have started reading marley and me and the road of the dead and they are both quite good books but i cant seem to get into reading at the mo
    is that the book about the dog (marley and me)? if so ive got that, havent read it yet though. atm im reading stage management books lol!
    yh it is that one
    ive given up with the other ones i was reading and am now readng dont ever tell and its a good book
    the book dont tell mummy sounds really good i think i might get it

take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints and kill nothing but time

yh it is that one
    ive given up with the other ones i was reading and am now readng dont ever tell and its a good book
    Is dont ever tell by Kathy O Beirne if so i have just read the review on play
    it sounds a good one will have to read it...

yh it is that one
    Is dont ever tell by Kathy O Beirne if so i have just read the review on play
    it sounds a good one will have to read it...
    nah its by sandra glover and i got the title wrong its dont tell not dont ever tell, i think its a teenage bookand its only 170 something pahes

take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints and kill nothing but time

Thread Information