Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Sugden

Ryan Hawley has received shocking homophobic abuse over Robert and Aaron

"It was quite upsetting that people felt that way," the popular actor explains.

Emmerdale star Ryan Hawley has revealed that he's received homophobic abuse over his role as Robert Sugden.

The actor, who is straight in real life, was shocked to recently be targeted with verbal abuse over Robert's on-screen relationship with Aaron Livesy (Danny Miller).

Reflecting on the experience, which he stressed was a one-off, Hawley explained: "Unfortunately there was an incident where there were a few people who were a bit kind of homophobic towards me.

"I'm not gay in real life [and] it wasn't really an attack on me as a person, but it was quite upsetting that people felt that way."

Robert goads Andy about Chrissie
    © ITV

He continued: "It was extremely disappointing. I don't really want to dwell on it, because I don't want to dwell on negativity and that's really what it is.

"It's an isolated incident - it's been and gone."

Robert and Aaron's relationship has proved to be a huge success with many fans of the ITV soap, who affectionately call the pair 'Robron'.

Viewers have seen Robert show loyal support to Aaron following the revelation that the troubled mechanic was sexually abused by his father Gordon as a child. This continues next week when Gordon finally stands trial for his evil crimes.

Aaron takes to the stand
    © ITV
    Admitting that fans are now seeing a new side of Robert, Hawley said: "The majority in recent weeks have been a bit warmer towards me and have said the way Robert's being supportive of Aaron is a lot more empathetic. Whereas before people hissed at me and said: 'Oh, you're nasty you are'. ​

"We hear through people on social media and fans we speak to, who are so happy to meet both parts of 'Robron'. They're such big fans of the relationship, so that's quite telling.

"Our show's on six times a week and people tune in and watch it. They want to get some kind of escapism as they see people go through different situations and relate to it, because everyone goes through difficult situations in life.

"Danny's performances have been incredible and you'll see more in coming weeks I'm sure. I feel very fortunate to be part of that."

Emmerdale star Ryan Hawley has promised that life for Robert Sugden will soon get even more exciting, as he's involved in some big stunt scenes.

The actor is keeping tight-lipped on the exact details at this early stage, but it sounds like Robron fans will be at the edge of their seats as the high drama plays out.

"We've actually got some really challenging stuff coming up quite soon, which I'm quite excited about - I can't wait to do it," Hawley told Inside Soap.

"I shouldn't give too much away, but there are stunts involved. And I love getting into them - when they come up, it's like being a little kid again."

That wasn't the only hint that Hawley dropped, as he also promised that another big moment coming up will go down very well indeed with Emmerdale fans. And we reckon that has to involve something happy for Robert and his popular relationship with Aaron Dingle.

He added: "There are exciting times ahead. Later this summer, something's going to happen that I think people will be really pleased with, and probably excited and shocked. In fact, I'm massively excited about it myself.

"But will it involve Robert and Aaron getting a happy ever after? You'll just have to wait and see."

Digital Spy

Emmerdale's Robert Sugden has a sneaky plan up his sleeve (when doesn't he?) next week as he vows to clear Andy's name once and for all.

With Andy still in deep trouble over Lawrence White's shooting, it seems that his only real supporter is Robert (Ryan Hawley), who can sense that something isn't right.

After Robert enlists some support from his boyfriend Aaron Dingle (Danny Miller), it seems that Robron are united on this one - good news if you're a shipper.

A determined Robert then fights fire with fire by hatching a sneaky plan to target Chrissie (Louise Marwood), who's played a blinder with her attempts to frame Andy for attempted murder.

Robert knows that he needs to be smart with this one, so he quickly realises that the best way to get to Chrissie is through her wayward teenage son Lachlan. And it appears that Robert may be in luck when Liv Flaherty reveals that Lachlan has been texting his dad recently.

Aaron is more concerned with Liv's wellbeing as he sternly orders her to stay away from Lachlan from now on, but Robert realises this is a situation he can exploit to his advantage.

Not long afterwards, Liv defies Aaron's wishes by paying a visit to Lachlan, who's then surprised to get another unexpected text from his dad. Stirring the pot, Liv encourages him to reply.

When Robert later breaks into Home Farm and steals a photo showing Lachlan with his father, what exactly is he up to? Should Lachlan watch out?

Lachlan may be dangerous, but we reckon even he isn't a match for Robert when he's on a mission...

Digital Spy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (09-08-2016)

Sounds like Andy is sent down for the shooting then

Emmerdale star Ryan Hawley certainly knows how to please the Robron fans - even if he's slightly vague about it.

With the popular couple's devoted fanbase keen to know what's next for them, Ryan has hinted that there's some good news coming. And hopefully soon, because we're all getting impatient!

Since the pair had an emotional reunion earlier this year, the next big question for fans has been whether they'll ever get engaged.

Ryan and his on-screen other half Danny Miller, who plays Aaron, have even suggested that Robron should get married in Las Vegas one day. (Now that's a soap spinoff we'd want to see.)

So when Ryan was jokingly asked about those Vegas hopes in his latest interview, he laughed: "Fingers crossed that something might be on the horizon!

"You'll have to tune in and see. I can't really give much away at the moment, but it's certainly looking good!"

Hmm, what could he be referring to?

Ryan also said: "I'm very pleased to see Robert and Aaron being together and being happy, because me and Danny are getting to work together more."

In the meantime, it's revenge on Robert's mind rather than wedding bells. Next week's episodes see him try to get even with his ex-wife Chrissie White (Louise Marwood) by sabotaging her plans to open an adventure park.

When Robert suggests that Chrissie should be the first person to try out the climbing wall at the opening event, he sneakily sabotages it to cause maximum embarrassment for her.

Unfortunately, it's soon decided that Robert's sister Victoria will be taking Chrissie's place, forcing Robert to rush back and put it back to normal before disaster strikes.

Let's just say that the outcome is one of Robert's biggest mishaps yet, with a calamity leaving him suspended and upside down in mid-air. (Is it too much to ask that he sees the funny side?)

Ryan explained: "Obviously at the moment, Robert is trying to exact revenge on Chrissie for what she's done to Andy. He sees that Chrissie is in quite a vulnerable position.

"She's opening a big adventure park, there's going to be loads of press there and Robert sees this as an opportunity to sabotage her event. So he tries to go there and carry out an evil deed!

"He actually convinces Chrissie to be the first one to try out one of the new attractions at the park. He goes to make sure that something might happen, that would then result in a lawsuit and a lot of negative press for the White family. He just wants to shake her up."

Ryan continued: "When it turns out that Victoria will be taking Chrissie's place, that's obviously not what Robert had planned, so he has to abort the plan that he'd set up.

"He goes there to try and fix the problem that he's caused, so that if Victoria is the first one up there, she won't injure herself in any way.

"Robert then gets himself in a predicament that he can't get out of and he has to call on Victoria for help. Otherwise everyone will turn up and see Robert caught up in a sticky situation. That would not only be humiliating but he'd be facing criminal charges.

"At this point, Victoria is not fully in the picture about what happened to Andy. It's only after this that Robert has to explain himself and Victoria becomes aware of the situation with Robert, Andy and Chrissie.

"I hope Victoria is going to try and help out with Robert's revenge plans afterwards, but you'll just have to see. Victoria's a very strong character, so I wouldn't want to cross her in any way."

And asked about filming the hair-raising scenes, Ryan said: "Anything that's a change from normal scenes is a lot of fun and this was too. I was at least 20 feet, maybe 30 feet, up on a tree.

"Obviously you've got a harness on, but it's still quite frightening being so high up. And the actual position that they had me in when things do go wrong, which you'll see in the episode, was particularly uncomfortable so I wouldn't like to do that again!"

Digital Spy

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

binky321 (13-09-2016), tammyy2j (13-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Emmerdale star Ryan Hawley certainly knows how to please the Robron fans - even if he's slightly vague about it.

With the popular couple's devoted fanbase keen to know what's next for them, Ryan has hinted that there's some good news coming. And hopefully soon, because we're all getting impatient!

Since the pair had an emotional reunion earlier this year, the next big question for fans has been whether they'll ever get engaged.

Ryan and his on-screen other half Danny Miller, who plays Aaron, have even suggested that Robron should get married in Las Vegas one day. (Now that's a soap spinoff we'd want to see.)

So when Ryan was jokingly asked about those Vegas hopes in his latest interview, he laughed: "Fingers crossed that something might be on the horizon!

"You'll have to tune in and see. I can't really give much away at the moment, but it's certainly looking good!"

Ryan also said: "I'm very pleased to see Robert and Aaron being together and being happy, because me and Danny are getting to work together more."

In the meantime, it's revenge on Robert's mind rather than wedding bells. Next week's episodes see him try to get even with his ex-wife Chrissie White (Louise Marwood) by sabotaging her plans to open an adventure park.

When Robert suggests that Chrissie should be the first person to try out the climbing wall at the opening event, he sneakily sabotages it to cause maximum embarrassment for her.

Unfortunately, it's soon decided that Robert's sister Victoria will be taking Chrissie's place, forcing Robert to rush back and put it back to normal before disaster strikes.

Let's just say that the outcome is one of Robert's biggest mishaps yet, with a calamity leaving him suspended and upside down in mid-air. (Is it too much to ask that he sees the funny side?)

Ryan explained: "Obviously at the moment, Robert is trying to exact revenge on Chrissie for what she's done to Andy. He sees that Chrissie is in quite a vulnerable position.

"She's opening a big adventure park, there's going to be loads of press there and Robert sees this as an opportunity to sabotage her event. So he tries to go there and carry out an evil deed!

"He actually convinces Chrissie to be the first one to try out one of the new attractions at the park. He goes to make sure that something might happen, that would then result in a lawsuit and a lot of negative press for the White family. He just wants to shake her up."

Ryan continued: "When it turns out that Victoria will be taking Chrissie's place, that's obviously not what Robert had planned, so he has to abort the plan that he'd set up.

"He goes there to try and fix the problem that he's caused, so that if Victoria is the first one up there, she won't injure herself in any way.

"Robert then gets himself in a predicament that he can't get out of and he has to call on Victoria for help. Otherwise everyone will turn up and see Robert caught up in a sticky situation. That would not only be humiliating but he'd be facing criminal charges.

"At this point, Victoria is not fully in the picture about what happened to Andy. It's only after this that Robert has to explain himself and Victoria becomes aware of the situation with Robert, Andy and Chrissie.

"I hope Victoria is going to try and help out with Robert's revenge plans afterwards, but you'll just have to see. Victoria's a very strong character, so I wouldn't want to cross her in any way."

And asked about filming the hair-raising scenes, Ryan said: "Anything that's a change from normal scenes is a lot of fun and this was too. I was at least 20 feet, maybe 30 feet, up on a tree.

"Obviously you've got a harness on, but it's still quite frightening being so high up. And the actual position that they had me in when things do go wrong, which you'll see in the episode, was particularly uncomfortable so I wouldn't like to do that again!"

Digital Spy
    More boring and awkward "Robron" scenes. I honestly don't see any chemistry between them whatsoever and the writing has been shambolic. Chas has forgot that Robert killed her best mate and Paddy has forgot that Robert shot him, almost buried him alive and threatened his step son. Why let little things like that get in the way though?

Digital Spy
    More boring and awkward "Robron" scenes. I honestly don't see any chemistry between them whatsoever and the writing has been shambolic. Chas has forgot that Robert killed her best mate and Paddy has forgot that Robert shot him, almost buried him alive and threatened his step son. Why let little things like that get in the way though?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to alcapo11 For This Useful Post:

Perdita (13-09-2016)

Even schemers deserve a birthday celebration - so happy b-day Robert Sugden!

Okay so it's not technically Robert Sugden's birthday, but actor Ryan Hawley celebrated turning 31 on the Emmerdale set on Wednesday (September 21) with a very special message to all the Robron fans.

The other half of Robron - Aaron Livesy actor Danny Miller - dropped by his Instagram account later in the day to explain why he'd yet to send any birthday messages to co-star Ryan on his special day.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emme...e-robron-fans/

"A couple of people have been asking why I haven't said happy birthday to Ryan on Twitter," he began. "The truth is he didn't want everyone to know it's his birthday because he doesn't like the attention."

Danny then took us along for a ramble through the Emmerdale set, where he found one very happy birthday boy.

"Thank you very much for all of your lovely messages. Danny's passed them on to me," Ryan beamed. "I'm very flattered and grateful for all of your very kind words. I'll assure you - after having a very long day - I'll be having a very nice night. Sincerely, thank you!"

Ryan Hawley has been teasing a major development from Robron lately. Maybe it's that Las Vegas wedding everyone's been pining for?

"Fingers crossed that something might be on the horizon. You'll have to tune in and see," Ryan has hinted.

"I can't really give much away at the moment, but it's certainly looking good… I'm very pleased to see Robert and Aaron being together and being happy, because me and Danny are getting to work together more."

Digital Spy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

binky321 (22-09-2016)

Even schemers deserve a birthday celebration - so happy b-day Robert Sugden!

Okay so it's not technically Robert Sugden's birthday, but actor Ryan Hawley celebrated turning 31 on the Emmerdale set on Wednesday (September 21) with a very special message to all the Robron fans.

The other half of Robron - Aaron Livesy actor Danny Miller - dropped by his Instagram account later in the day to explain why he'd yet to send any birthday messages to co-star Ryan on his special day.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emme...e-robron-fans/

\\\"A couple of people have been asking why I haven't said happy birthday to Ryan on Twitter,\\\" he began. \\\"The truth is he didn't want everyone to know it's his birthday because he doesn't like the attention.\\\"

Danny then took us along for a ramble through the Emmerdale set, where he found one very happy birthday boy.

\\\"Thank you very much for all of your lovely messages. Danny's passed them on to me,\\\" Ryan beamed. \\\"I'm very flattered and grateful for all of your very kind words. I'll assure you - after having a very long day - I'll be having a very nice night. Sincerely, thank you!\\\"

Ryan Hawley has been teasing a major development from Robron lately. Maybe it's that Las Vegas wedding everyone's been pining for?

\\\"Fingers crossed that something might be on the horizon. You'll have to tune in and see,\\\" Ryan has hinted.

\\\"I can't really give much away at the moment, but it's certainly looking good… I'm very pleased to see Robert and Aaron being together and being happy, because me and Danny are getting to work together more.\\\"

Digital Spy
    When I read things like this, it makes me realise just how ludicrously extreme the "robron" fandom have gone, and the ridiculous steps the ED staff have to perform in order to pander to said fandom.

Why on earth is it anyone's business why one actor does or doesn't say happy birthday to another actor?
    Last edited by deeCee; 22-09-2016 at 13:41.

Fans were tweeting Danny asking him to pass 'Happy Birthday' messages to Ryan Hawley because he doesn't have any social media accounts of his own to message him directly, Danny on his own Instagram account made a quick video to acknowledge them & to give Ryan the chance to respond. Where's the harm? It was a kind gesture by both nothing to do with pandering to anyone.

Thread Information