Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Sugden

Emmerdale bosses have confirmed that the character of Robert Sudgen will make a dramatic return to the soap this autumn.

The character, who was previously played by Karl Davies, left the village in 2005, but returned briefly for his father's funeral in 2009.

Newcomer Ryan Hawley will take over the role of Robert, who is due to reappear in the village later in October.

Fans have been speculating about Robert's return since his brother Andy (Kelvin Fletcher) received a text message from him earlier in the month.

Andy and Katie are currently preparing to tie the knot again but Robert's return will rock their rekindled relationship. Long-term viewers will remember that Robert and Katie once had an affair and there is a lot of animosity between the two brothers.

Andy pushes a devastated Katie away telling her he only got back with her because she was the safe option
    © ITV
    Andy and Katie in Emmerdale

Emmerdale's series producer Kate Oates said: "I'm delighted to welcome Ryan to the show. Robert is a complex character and when we were looking for someone to take over the role, Ryan had the perfect balance of charm and edge.

"Robert Sugden's life has moved on in many ways... but those ingrained feelings - about his father, Andy, Katie, and the village where he grew up - are sure to find an explosive outlet."

I hope he isn't paired with Katy again

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

lizann (18-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    her and andy should up and leave

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    her and andy should up and leave

Emmerdale newcomer Ryan Hawley has admitted that he was nervous about taking over the role of Robert Sugden.

Robert arrives back in the village next week, as Hawley makes his first appearance in the part, taking over from previous actor Karl Davies.

Ryan Hawley as Robert Sugden in Emmerdale
    © ITV
    Ryan Hawley as Robert Sugden

When Robert reappears in Emmerdale, he is joined by his wealthy fiancée Chrissie White (Louise Marwood), her father Lawrence (John Bowe) and her teenage son Lachlan (Thomas Atkinson). The family will be moving into Home Farm after Lawrence decides to buy the property.

Speaking of the surprise Robert recast, Hawley explained: "Obviously it was quite nerve-wracking. Robert is a popular character. Like any job, people come and go but when it's on TV, it's obviously a bit more noticeable!

"Robert has been gone for nine years now and that's a long time, so there's lots of things that will have happened that have changed him. There are a few surprises that will come out in a few episodes."

Robert's return will shake up life for his brother Andy, who has reunited with Katie Addyman this year. Katie previously cheated on Andy with Robert in a memorable affair storyline, and viewers will see that old wounds still run deep for Andy.

Hawley continued: "With the way things were left when Robert left the show, he comes in and quickly disrupts everything in the first couple of scenes. I think Andy will not like having him around, just as much as Robert doesn't want to be around Andy either! Robert doesn't want to be in the village at all, so now that he is, there's room for conflict. Robert definitely knows how to wind Andy up.

"You'll have to wait and see if Robert still has feelings for Katie. Obviously there is the previous relationship, but I believe that he genuinely loves Chrissie."

One of the main areas of conflict in the new family is Lawrence's disapproval of Robert. While Robert has been one of his loyal employees, Lawrence doesn't believe that he is the right man for his daughter.

Chrissie is also experiencing problems with 14-year-old Lachlan, whose behaviour has taken a turn for the worse.

"Me and John Bowe always have arguments over who's actually the bad guy in the Robert and Lawrence situation," Hawley laughed. "He always defends his character and I defend mine! Robert and Chrissie are planning a wedding but there's just one thing that's stopping it and it's Lawrence!

"You'll also see Robert's relationship with Lachlan over time. Lachlan is troublesome, and with Robert also having a bit of trouble when he was younger, I think it's maybe something that he can recognise.

"Robert is maybe a bit wary of him, but there are also similarities as Lachlan is someone who has a reason to have a chip on his shoulder or something he's a bit disturbed by. Hopefully they can find some common ground."

Hawley also revealed that he kept his new role a secret from his family even after he had started filming.

He said: "My family are massive fans of the show and I actually didn't tell them that I'd been cast because I wanted to keep it a secret. I knew that if they knew about it, it would just be a massive distraction.

"When it was released that I was going to be playing Robert, they were over the moon. I should have told them straight away because they just had this wealth of knowledge about the show. They knew more about my character and every other character in the show than I could possibly get from watching it for as long as I could!"

Is Robert gay or bisexual? Will he and Aaron become gay lovers?

Today, episode finally provided some insight into why Lawrence doesn't like Robert and I think it makes sense. Lawrence is still a gay man even though he has a daughter Chrissy and was married to a woman. Robert's speech at the end of the episode that he lead Lawrence on makes sense. Even though Lawrence is old he still has a sex drive. Robert seems to be bisexual to me I think he and Lawrence had a fling BUT it did not last. Robert mentioned he KNEW Lawrence had the hots for him, got him a job to keep him in his circle. Robert might be right, Lawrence is jealous of the relationship Robert and Chrissy have because he is still in love with Robert. The spoilers also suggest something might happen between Aaron and Robert? Maybe Robert is sexually attracted to men still and he is bisexual?
    Last edited by Serena Williams; 14-11-2014 at 02:18.

Robert will be up to something, the great pretender

Robert is a homophonic bully who would sleep with anyone either gender imo to get what he wants

Emmerdale's series producer Kate Oates has revealed more details about Aaron Livesy's surprising new relationship with Robert Sugden, confirming that there will be a genuine attraction between the pair.

Last week, the ITV soap released a new trailer which featured footage of the two characters sharing a passionate kiss - sparking much speculation among fans about whether Robert really likes Aaron or whether his romantic interest is all part of a con.

Speaking at an Emmerdale press conference on Monday (December 1), Oates cleared up the confusion by confirming that Robert is attracted to men as well as women.

The show returnee's feelings for Aaron will develop into an affair, which will no doubt jeopardise his future with wife-to-be Chrissie White if the truth ever comes out.

Oates explained: "Chrissie doesn't know about the relationship with Robert and Aaron, and that's obviously going to be a long-burner. She doesn't know that her husband-to-be has this tendency that he also fancies men, so that might be a big surprise to her!"

In a chat with Digital Spy, she later added: "Robert is very different from his brother in that Andy can live in the terraced house in the village with the girl that he's always loved and be happy. He works as a farmhand on the farm where he grew up, he doesn't need any more and he's a really happy guy like that.

"Robert always wants more - there's never enough. He's in a position now where he's with Chrissie and he's in the big house on the hill. He's also got Lawrence in his back pocket now, but it's still not enough.

"Robert is still taking risks and seeking adrenaline. He just wants more all the time. I think Aaron is going to be a victim of that to a certain extent, but the attraction between them is genuine."

Praising Danny Miller and Ryan Hawley - who play Aaron and Robert - Oates continued: "What I really like is that the lads have done a great job of creating that chemistry.

"In the scenes where they're together, you absolutely believe it and I think that they've done brilliantly with that. It's genuine to a point, but Robert will always be out for himself!"

The show's top boss also confirmed that Karl Davies, who previously played Robert, was offered the chance to return to Emmerdale. When he declined the opportunity, a decision was made to recast the role with Hawley in the part.

She said: "I spoke to Karl intermittently since arriving at Emmerdale. It just got to a point where this opportunity came up. I wanted to bring the character back and asked if Karl was interested, and explained that if he wasn't then we might have to look elsewhere. I understand why [he didn't want to return] - he's doing other things and he's doing incredibly well.

"At that point, I knew that we were recasting a really big character. I knew that I wanted Robert to get together with Aaron and that there'd be a big story for him. It was a big gamble, but I think it's paid off.

"We are seeing a Robert with a different side to him now, or certainly a side that is magnified from the old Robert - because I think that Machiavellian side has always been there. We've just expanded on that and the recasting was a good chance to do it, so I think it's been a blessing really."

Okay so Robert's bisexuality is confirmed! I am glad that the producer of Emmerdale confirmed it! This is unique TV tends to ignore bisexuality especially in MALES. I Am glad Robert is bisexual this story could be good if the producers play it right.

Thread Information