Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Kathy Beale (Gillian Taylforth)

Article on Kathy's return from the BBC:

30 years to the day EastEnders was first broadcast, one of EastEnders true icons, Kathy Beale returned to the show in a LIVE scene in tonight’s (19/02/2015) episode.

Last seen in 2000 before returning to South Africa, viewers believed that Kathy was killed in a car crash. However when Kathy comes home to Walford later this year, viewers will learn where Kathy has been and why she has stayed away so long…

Played by Gillian Taylforth, Kathy appeared in the very first episode of EastEnders on the 19th February 1985. As one of the original cast, Gillian soon found herself at the heart of some of the soaps most memorable episodes, creating a character that has never been forgotten in EastEnders history. Storylines included her relationship and subsequent turbulent marriage to Phil Mitchell and the rape of Kathy by Wilmott Brown.

Kathy’s return has been shrouded in secrecy. To keep her return under wraps the scenes were shot live on location to prevent her being seen prior to her episode transmitting.

Talking about her return to EastEnders, Gillian said “When Dominic approached me with his plan, I was so shocked I got into my car and burst into tears! ‘Kathy’ has always been so close to my heart and it’s absolutely wonderful to be returning to the show and reprising the role”

Dominic Treadwell-Collins, Executive Producer said “I have always made my feelings on Kathy Beale and Gillian Taylforth very clear – she is part of EastEnders history, mother to Ian and Ben and one of the most important and iconic television characters on British television. Six months ago, we set ourselves the challenge of bringing Kathy back to the Square in a credible way. And I believe we have succeeded. Viewers will have to keep watching to find out exactly why Kathy ‘died’, where she has been all these years and why she now wants to come home to Albert Square. This is only the beginning of one of the most earth-shattering storylines EastEnders has ever seen…”

Adam Woodyatt who plays Gillian’s on screen son adds “I’m thrilled, I couldn’t be happier. I’ve finally got my mum back! I’ve been keeping this secret for so long and now I just can’t wait to work with her again.”

It says "when Kathy comes home to Walford later this year", so it sounds like she'll be back for good. It's nice that Gillian Taylforth is so happy to be reprising the role of Kathy.

I'm warming to the idea more and more. I can't wait to hear what explanation they come up with and whether Phil knew all along or has just found out.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 20-02-2015 at 00:00.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Cheskazmum (20-02-2015), maidmarian (20-02-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    Article on Kathy's return from the BBC. It says \\"when Kathy comes home to Walford later this year\\", so it sounds like she'll be back for good.

I'm warming to the idea more and more. I can't wait to hear what explanation they come up with and whether Phil knew all along or has just found out.
    She is in Hollyoaks too coming and going Gillian will be very busy

Ian and Sharon's talk of being orphans and all alone now means more that Ian's mother is alive and back

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-02-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Ian and Sharon's talk of being orphans and all alone now means more that Ian's mother is alive and back
    That was a very big clue that the rumours were correct.

ben will be more messed up now gillian left hollyoaks for her family more for enders more like she lied

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (22-02-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    ben will be more messed up now gillian left hollyoaks for her family more for enders more like she lied
    I think its too early to say. Ben is troubled and whilst at the beginning he will but I think in time - given how Kathy is when she returns - she may be good for him. I have never seen Kathy so I am not sure what her personality is but if she raised Ian - she can't do worse than Phil because thats where Ben went wrong.

.Speechless
    Last edited by xx_Dan_xx; 20-02-2015 at 12:49.

Quote Originally Posted by xx_Dan_xx View Post
    I think its too early to say. Ben is troubled and whilst at the beginning he will but I think in time - given how Kathy is when she returns - she may be good for him. I have never seen Kathy so I am not sure what her personality is but if she raised Ian - she can't do worse than Phil because thats where Ben went wrong.
    That's what makes Kathy playing dead so unbelievable. Kathy hated Phil and knew that he'd destroy sensitive Ben and she'd never have willingly left him with Phil given their history. That's why there needs to be a really well-thought out explanation to make her disappearance credible. Simply saying she went into witness protection say won't cut it as she'd have taken Ben with her. Also she would have at the very least contacted Ben and Ian in all the years she's been gone unless she was physically unable to do so.

I think she needs to have been locked away in prison or something to explain her complete silence. Maybe she was kidnapped?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (22-02-2015)

I seem to remember Ben actually living with Ian when he first arrived in England .. Phil bullied Ian to have Ben live with him

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (20-02-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I seem to remember Ben actually living with Ian when he first arrived in England .. Phil bullied Ian to have Ben live with him
    Good memory!

Yes, I think Ian was desperate to keep Ben from Phil but the latter wasn't going to allow that to happen...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (20-02-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    That's what makes Kathy playing dead so unbelievable. Kathy hated Phil and knew that he'd destroy sensitive Ben and she'd never have willingly left him with Phil given their history. That's why there needs to be a really well-thought out explanation to make her disappearance credible. Simply saying she went into witness protection say won't cut it as she'd have taken Ben with her. Also she would have at the very least contacted Ben and Ian in all the years she's been gone unless she was physically unable to do so.

I think she needs to have been locked away in prison or something to explain her complete silence. Maybe she was kidnapped?
    pirates had her and forced botox into her

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

alan45 (22-02-2015), Dazzle (20-02-2015), parkerman (20-02-2015), tammyy2j (20-02-2015)

Thread Information