Thread: Runaway storyline

Post Runaway storyline

Many of you think that the storyline of Demi & Leo's runaway was a stupid idea but it has helped many people.

The National Missing Persons Helpline (NMPH) charity has praised the portrayal of runaway teenager Demi Miller (Shana Swash) in BBC One's EastEnders as it announced that more than 70,000 calls have been made to a unique Helpline for runaways.

The current EastEnders storyline of Demi running away with boyfriend Leo Taylor (Philip Dowling) and baby Aleesha echo's stories that the charities unique Runaway Helpline receives on a daily basis.

Sash Newman, acting General Manager of the charity, says: "We believe that EastEnders are showing a realistic portrayal of a missing teen.

"Callers to our dedicated Helpline are often in the most extreme of situations and face life or death decisions whilst away from the family home."

The character of Demi will next week be seen to experiment with drugs whilst on the run after Leo's heroin dealing past in exposed.

NMPH, the only UK charity dedicated to finding the missing and supporting those left behind, reports that drug misuse this is just one of many dangers young people face when away from home or care.

Research conducted by NMPH reveals that around 40% of young runways sleep rough while they are missing and almost one third stay with a stranger. Some young runaways experience physical or sexual assault while missing.

As the rest of the Miller family face an agonising wait for news in EastEnders, NMPH charity says such family conflicts that saw Demi and Leo leave can often be triggers in real life cases.

Sash Newman continues, "Girls are more than twice as likely to be reported missing as boys between the ages of 13 and 17 and this can often be associated with parental disapproval of boyfriends or social groups.

"Our advice to families left behind without news of their missing loved one like the characters of Rosie, Keith, Mickey and Darren Miller, would be to keep calm, stay near a phone, find a recent photograph and contact the police immediately."

Since its launch in May 2004 the Runaway Helpline has received more than 70,000 calls from vulnerable young people and organisers are gearing up to take many more in light of the ongoing EastEnders storyline.

Ms Newman concludes: "Talking about problems and being honest with young people can often avoid the need for them to runaway in the first place."

Anyone aged 17 or under who is run away or been forced to leave home can call the confidential Runaway Helpline on Freephone 0808 800 7070.

Donations to NMPH can be made online at www.missingpersons.org or by calling 020 8392 4592.

Sorce: http://nmph.underwired.com/news.php

i dint think it was a stupid idea, it had to happene, as their romance needed a conclusion, and leo dying was a satisying conclusion, and it gave the milllers such great potential

i actually thought it was a good stiryline,well written and well acted

I thought it was all really good. the acting was great from everyone especially Trisha, Leo and Demi and all the millers were great along wiht Ray. it was written well, too. still a bit annoyed Leo died, lol but it had to end somewhere!

i thought it was a good story line

i thought it was a good storyline as people runaway all the time. It was really well portrayed

I agree with all these comments - it was a good storyline and was portrayed well. Although some people on here think it was a waste of space.

Thread Information