https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...dies-obituary/

Coronation Street star Anita Carey has died at the age of 75.

The actress, who was best known for her roles in Doctors and on the ITV soap, passed away on July 19, a Guardian obituary reports. Carey had been diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010.

Carey began her career appearing in TV shows such as The Spoils of War and I Didn't Know You Cared during the 1970s and '80s. Her first stint on Coronation Street came in 1978 when she played Brenda Summers, a victim of domestic violence.

The actress spoke about the social importance of portraying a domestic violence storyline on screen at the time, working with women staying at a Manchester refuge while researching the role.

"I've done so much comedy on television that I was anxious to get a really meaty dramatic role," she said (via The Guardian). "The social relevance of the part was a big challenge."

She later returned to the cobbles in 1996, playing the role of Joyce Smedley. Her second stint on the soap lasted for a year, with Joyce sadly meeting her end after being knocked down by a car while chasing after her dog Scamper.

Carey also played two separate characters on Doctors, first appearing in a guest appearance as Shirley Carver for one episode in 2005.

She later returned between 2007 and 2009 in a regular role as receptionist Vivien March, winning a British Soap Award for Best Dramatic Performance for a rape storyline involving her character.

Carey later moved to the United States with her husband, actor and director Mark Wing-Davey, in 2008, with later TV and film credits including Candlesticks (2011) and The Last Witness (2018).

RIP Anita