Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Sugden

Complex characters are needed in soaps. But Andy has softer side too which makes him likable.
    I don't see him as dumb, he's like Jason in Corrie.
    Last edited by mariba; 01-09-2015 at 00:03.

Kelvin Fletcher (Andy) has been in Emmerdale for 19 years (from 1996 as a 10yo boy character) and he's done some bad things too, although not recently. In 2004, Andy did try to shoot Robert (then played by actor Karl Davies) for living with Andy's wife Katie in a caravan but he shot and nearly killed his adoptive father Jack instead. At the time, Andy was a worse character than Robert but now there seems to be a role reversal and New Robert (Ryan Hawley) is the nasty one. However, a leopard never changes its spots and all that, so maybe angry Andy comes through as before in scenes coming up soon on TV.

Andy and Robert are two of my least liked characters in Emmerdale.

Videos from 2004 showing Andy shooting Jack Sugden can be seen on YouTube at:

Emmerdale Classic - Jack Sugden got shot (Part 1)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht0A279hTho

Emmerdale Classic - Jack Sugden got shot (Part 2)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b0SgVMEhmU

Andy's History:

Marriages Kate Addyman (divorced), Jo Stiles (separated) Children Sarah 1996 Enters the village as Andy Hopwood, temporarily in the care of Jack and Sarah Sugden when his gran finds it hard to cope. Nearly dies after falling into a quarry. Later fostered by Jack and Sarah after his gran dies, as his mum is dead and his dad's in prison. 1997 Becomes a troublemaker at school and is suspended for hitting a teacher. Goes to live with dad Billy Hopwood, who's been released from jail. 1998 Neglected by Billy, he returns to the Sugdens. Billy later reappears and robs the post office, killing Vic Windsor. 1999 Runs away to Leeds to escape bullying. Schoolmates Donna and Kelly help track him down and bring him home. Officially adopted by Jack and Sarah. 2000 Jack and Sarah split after Sarah starts an affair with lodger Richie Carter. Andy torches the barn to help Jack claim on the insurance and pay off debts, but accidentally kills Sarah, who's in the barn with Richie. 2001 Kathy takes on Andy and his adopted siblings Robert and Victoria while Jack is on remand accused of the arson attack. Robert discovers Andy's role in the fire. Jack's case collapses and he's released. 2002 The family move to the village after Jack is forced to sell the farm. Andy dates schoolgirl Katie and she becomes pregnant. Leaves school and struggles to get a job. Katie loses the baby and Andy proposes. 2003 Takes on Butler's Farm tenancy with Katie. Discovers he has a half-brother, Daz, who is a real handful, but takes him in. 2004 Andy and Katie marry. Katie tries to leave him and Robert announces that he and Katie have been having an affair. Tries to shoot Robert, but hits Jack by accident and almost kills him. Starts seeing schoolgirl Debbie Dingle and is beaten up by her furious dad Cain. 2005 Finishes with Debbie, who is secretly pregnant with his baby. Stunned when she gives birth to his daughter, Sarah. Robert is jealous of Andy's close relationship with Jack and torches Andy's barn. Robert tries to kill Andy by crashing into his car. Debbie lets Emily Kirk take Sarah away from the village. 2006 Katie returns to the village and they are reunited. Emily comes back with baby Sarah and Andy and Katie take the baby in when she's rejected by Debbie. Andy is seduced by scheming minx Jo and has an affair. 2007 Katie divorces him. When Victoria becomes determined to find out the truth about her mother's death, he confesses to setting fire to the barn in which Sarah died and is convicted of manslaughter. 2008 Marries Jo in prison. Released on appeal in March but now he's an angry young man. He's unhappy with just about everything Jo's done and starts hitting her. When his family and friends see what he's become, he tries to kill himself but Diane stops him. Jo leaves Sarah with the Dingles and gets out of Emmerdale. 2009 Gets Sarah back and moves Maisie Wylde into Butler's Farm. She soon leaves and Andy starts to lose everything: first Sarah, then his mind and, finally, the farm. Diagnosed as clinically depressed. 2010 With Katie's help finally tries to get his anger problems sorted out, but gets the wrong idea that they could have a future together.

Played by Kelvin Fletcher

Read more at: http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/emmerdale...rs/andy-sugden

Quote Originally Posted by mariba View Post
    Complex characters are needed in soaps. But Andy has softer side too which makes him likable.
    I don't see him as dumb, he's like Jason in Corrie.
    Yes -soaps do need complex characters but I
    wouldnt say Andy was one such.
    Im not sure what his intelligence level is meant
    ti be-but to me his one over-riding personality
    trait is a lack of self-control. This means to
    me he is still the same as when a child-tantrums
    when things dont suit -only now he is an adult
    bigger and stronger so physical consequences
    potentially more serious. Without the deeper
    thought most adults are capable of.

Everyone finds character believable or otherwise
    based on their experiences etc. But to me-
    he is very predictable-though he does these
    bad actions- without planning -just because
    they dont suit. So boring!

As I have said in another post he does have
    occasional attempts at childcare but they would
    come second if he was obsessed about something
    else. My personal opinion is someone of such
    a volatile temprament shouldnt have care of children.

dupl
    Last edited by maidmarian; 01-09-2015 at 01:49.

They all have volatile temperaments in soapland! When something else comes up, kids are forgotten!!! When have we last seen Bob's twins for example..or Noah?....Some mysterious childminder is looking after the soap kids..
    Last edited by mariba; 01-09-2015 at 08:05.

We did see Bob's twins quite recently actually, June/July maybe. Though they have been off screen for 4 years straight before, I'm sure.

I think Andy is supposed to be a bit dim, but that they try to mix it up a bit (otherwise they'd have two Sams.) Violence and statutory rape (which it was with Debbie) are things that Sam would never do.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kim For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (01-09-2015)

They all have volatile temperaments in soapland! When something else comes up, kids are forgotten!!! When have we last seen Bob's twins for example..or Noah?....Some mysterious childminder is looking after the soap kids..
    A lot of soap characters are easy -going
    and the vast majority dont beat their partners
    or commit serious sexual offences.

There are a lot of "relationships" and a
    lot of unplanned pregnancies but most
    are consensual and non-violent.

Its the violence / lack of normal thought
    and continued pattern over years that
    makes Andy unacceptable( imo)
    Other characters have committed murders
    and other serious crimes but for a limited
    time- then there is some punidhmenf!

A lot of soap characters are easy -going
    and the vast majority dont beat their partners
    or commit serious sexual offences.

There are a lot of "relationships" and a
    lot of unplanned pregnancies but most
    are consensual and non-violent.

Its the violence / lack of normal thought
    and continued pattern over years that
    makes Andy unacceptable( imo)
    Other characters have committed murders
    and other serious crimes but for a limited
    time- then there is some punishment!

Also most soap characters of his disposition
    dont have young children!
    Last edited by maidmarian; 01-09-2015 at 08:54.

Well maybe I'm too busy with my own life and just don't bother thinking too deep into the soap characters minds then! 😁 They are fine to me - some I like more than others that's as deep as it goes.

Well maybe I'm too busy with my own life and just don't bother thinking too deep into the soap characters minds then! �� They are fine to me - some I like more than others that's as deep as it goes.
    Everyone bases their opinions on their own
    experiences -as I said in one post.
    I dont think a few mins to make a post
    encroaches on anyones busy lives and the
    thoughts occur as you watch .
    Dislikes/likes are mostly instinctive !!

To me- Andy is so obvious it doesnt need
    deep thought- particularly as the character
    appears incapable of it!!!
    Just good its not real life - with real people
    and real children
    Last edited by maidmarian; 01-09-2015 at 10:51.

Thread Information